Scottish Professional Football League

Guest David Longmuir

I find it embarrassing and cringe-worthy that we are just copying the names of the English leagues. All it does is make talking about the leagues and comparisons a bit awkward and ambiguous and so you completely ditch the names and say things like "third tier" where Division 3 would have been self explanatory.

But with the English thing, we're just showing ourselves up as a small mind country with no imagination.

I find it embarrassing and cringe-worthy that we are just copying the names of the English leagues. All it does is make talking about the leagues and comparisons a bit awkward and ambiguous and so you completely ditch the names and say things like "third tier" where Division 3 would have been self explanatory.

But with the English thing, we're just showing ourselves up as a small mind country with no imagination.

...and Englishmen running our game.

We paid 200k apparently to copy the designs of the English Leagues "easy money" for somebody

Where did you hear that?

The SPL put out a design tender a few weeks ago and asked 6 or 7 companies to present for it. They asked for ideas on the names and for designs too, the budget was nothing like the figure you are quoting I can assure you.

I doubt they'd need to pay anyone anything to use the names they've chosen, any copyright will only be on the designs and devices surrounding them, not the words themselves.

As Calscot said it does show a huge lack of imagination though and is at odds with the 'brief' they issued.

This was driven by the SPL marketing 'dept' with the decision to be made by the SPFL management board. To be fair to them it was done at ridiculous speed but that's what they get.

For what it's worth the names and designs chosen were done by the design agency the SPL and the SFA used previously. The more things change...

SPFL is a meaningless name change IMO. The same lunatics are still running the asylum. Scottish football is desperately short of funding. Will they now reveal details of the TV contract? is it true it's on less money than before & we're locked in long term? that would mean tv companies getting OF games for a pittance for years to come when we return to top league.

The name change just looks like a sad attempt to paint over a turd and try to attract sponsorship by using a brand that has actually been successful. The statement from Doncaster reeked of desperation yesterday in terms on sponsorship, even sounds like he had nothing concrete in the offing. Nobody wants to sponsor this shambles of an organisation and I am sure when they do the deal with be utter mince. Although they will spin it to say it is wonderful yadda yadda.