Newcastle match...

And while I am on the subject, why the hell are we playing friendlies once the season is well under way. We will have had two cup-ties by the time this non-event comes along. The supposed whole point of pre-season friendlies is to get the team match fit for the start of the season. The German/Dutch/North Scotland tours were the right thing for the team to get ready but come the first game this weekend that should be it.

To be fair, it's not as if it's the first time we've played a "glamour" friendly after the competitive season has kicked off with cup or European games. Unless we get a huge turn out they can't possibly be much of a money-spinner, so maybe the reason for such games is just to do with helping get the team up to speed in terms of match fitness at the beginning of the season when they're still a bit rusty?

The marquee friendlies are to make money. Simple as that.

I don't see how they can make much cash though Frankie, not unless it's a huge turn out with +£20 ticket prices.

I understand it is all about fleecing the fans out of more dough just when they have spent a few hundred quid on ST renewals, but surely the way to go with this is the way all the "big" clubs are doing it now, with wee tours to far flung places and charging a fee to the host club for us attending. You dont see or hear of Man Utd, Chelsea etc lining up these types of friendlies when they can get far more money from going to Asia or Oz and playing a local side/select team there.

Newcastle are hardly marquee either. More likely, just like Bristol and Sheffield Wednesday, we have invited Newcastle because they will sell a few thousand tickets to their punters who fancy a wee trip to Glasgow for a piss-up.

Or perhaps this is just something dreamed up by Sports Direct and shoehorned into both teams schedules.

With regard to the ST, I renewed with the paper form and there was only an option for all non-league home games, which got you the semi final and final priority.

I don't see how they can make much cash though Frankie, not unless it's a huge turn out with +£20 ticket prices.

I doubt there's much money in it either but that's the main reason for them. Attempting to get some profile as well is the other but, as TB, says is debatable just how much profile you get from a home friendly against Newcastle. Unfortunately, our current league position means we're not all that attractive either as opposition - even if we may take sizeable followings to any away games we have.