A dinosaur rears it's head

I've often been referred to a â??dinosaurâ? - mostly by the new breed of Rangers fans (though age does not seem to be a determination in this equation) who see our Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist and British identity as something... not exactly to be ashamed of.... but quite clearly something they would prefer not to be there. I of course would disagree, but then again as a Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist, British Rangers supporter I would wouldn't I ?

Furthermore I appreciate there are those who follow our club, and may I add, are as passionate as I am about her, yet who are not the slightest bit interested in being a Protestant, a Unionist etc. etc. Times change and so do attitudes and beliefs, often for the better. But for several generations, including my own, Rangers were not just a football club. They represented who we were, what we stood for and the things which we believed in. And it still does today, no matter how society moves on to other things.

No Rangers were not founded for overtly religious reasons, nor were they a bastion of Unionism, Presbyterianism or anything else for that matter, it was simply 4 boys with dream to form a football club for football reasons. But it would be foolhardy and erroneous to suggest that the characteristics and identity alluded to in the opening paragraph did not evolve over time and I would contend, if one was to examine our song repertoire,symbolism and flags, is still very prevalent today.

We are not just supporting a football club, but a set of beliefs, of standards, when we sing we do so with a passion which goes beyond sport, into the realms of a celebration of identity and culture. They are our club and we are their people. I appreciate all do not feel this way, but those who do will know exactly what I refer to.

On Wednesday 24th July, 2013, that celebration of a football club intertwined with the beliefs of its people erupted in spectacular fashion in Sheffield. The people of Sheffield heard what we are, saw what we believed in, and the things we considered important, those worth celebrating, defending and, perhaps most importantly, in the case of Lee Rigby, were most worthy of our utmost respect.

They watched, they tweeted and they stood in awe and admiration at the Rangers support. Remarkable how an audience how are not motivated by a hatred of the things many of us cherish, can be so complimentary rather than derogatory. It makes one wonder where the problem really lies ?

Rangers are not a platform for these other views and never should be. Nor should our expression of our Protestantism, our Unionism, our Loyalism or our British identity ever be done in a manner which brings shame upon our club or for that matter that which we seek to celebrate. There is a delicate balance at work weaving it all together, and I would remind those of similar beliefs to my own, there are people out there who are determined to destroy that fine balance and eradicate it forever.

The power and passion on display at Sheffield is the reason why. They are frightened of it. Its the same power and passion which rescued a football club against the odds , which broke world records last season and filled stadium after stadium. To the consternation of many, that power and passion is on the march once again, and it does not intend to stop.

As the many Owls fans testified post match â?? no other set of visiting supporters has ever come close to matching that power and passion.

Let us celebrate our club's identity and culture with responsibility, and in such a way which makes us as many new friends as we did in Sheffield.

Edited by D'Artagnan

Don't forget the fans wouldn't get away with their repertoire in Scotland. Also Rangers to my memory before 1969 were more a Scottish Club than British, I never remember 'Rule Britannia' getting sung at Ibrox, could be wrong.

Apart from that, another good Article WATP.

I don't think the Sheffield folk knew what the songs were, and wouldn't understand the words anyway.

I had a laugh with the lad, when we ( not me) were belting out 'Bobby Sands he's deed', I don't think the locals had a scooby.

The problem with the Scottish/N Ireland, protestant, unionist identity is that it is a limited commercial market. If we wish to compete & become a global brand we need to look beyond this identity & reach into other markets to grow the business worldwide like the Man Utds, Barcelonas etc

The problem with the Scottish/N Ireland, protestant, unionist identity is that it is a limited commercial market. If we wish to compete & become a global brand we need to look beyond this identity & reach into other markets to grow the business worldwide like the Man Utds, Barcelonas etc

Maybe I am wrong, but as far as I see it, our club is doing exactly what you mention above ever since Smith took over for the first time. I for one doubt that Rangers FC caters to specific religious or national identity. We should, IMHO, don't mix up what supporters think and what the club does.

Looking at it from afar, my impression is that most of the aversion heading our way comes from this open Britishness in a "fiercely nationalist" country. Scots think of being Scots first and foremost, as much as the English or the Welsh think of themselves first and foremost as English and Welsh. They obviously do think of themselves as Britons too, but from what I have experienced, to a much lesser extend. IMHO, we have alienated the Scottish people more by our open support for Britain and belting out RB and GSTQ than by our disdain for the IRAokes that filter out of the Scumhut. The amount of "pro-Irish-appeasement-PC" that goes on for years obviously beggars utter belief too, not least as it is at best misguided when it comes to what the Yahoos do every week.

I would assume that if our "Ultras" would start each game with Flower of Scotland and end it with GstQ, the tone would over due course change somewhat, at least within the public eye.

Maybe I am wrong, but as far as I see it, our club is doing exactly what you mention above ever since Smith took over for the first time. I for one doubt that Rangers FC caters to specific religious or national identity. We should, IMHO, don't mix up what supporters think and what the club does.

Looking at it from afar, my impression is that most of the aversion heading our way comes from this open Britishness in a "fiercely nationalist" country. Scots think of being Scots first and foremost, as much as the English or the Welsh think of themselves first and foremost as English and Welsh. They obviously do think of themselves as Britons too, but from what I have experienced, to a much lesser extend. IMHO, we have alienated the Scottish people more by our open support for Britain and belting out RB and GSTQ than by our disdain for the IRAokes that filter out of the Scumhut. The amount of "pro-Irish-appeasement-PC" that goes on for years obviously beggars utter belief too, not least as it is at best misguided when it comes to what the Yahoos do every week.

I would assume that if our "Ultras" would start each game with Flower of Scotland and end it with GstQ, the tone would over due course change somewhat, at least within the public eye.

Agree with what you say & in no way would I suggest we lose our identity in but (and it's a big BUT) over the next few years our biggest challenge is to increase revenue and to do that we'll need to tap into other markets for that revenue. The most obvious one is England & the 'British Card' will generally work well there as we saw the other night in Sheffield. Hopefully that will gain us more followers by becoming the 'second team' to many English clubs' supporters who will hopefully support Rangers in some way by means of maybe attending the odd game or buying Rangers shirts etc.

Barcelona's unique Catalonian identity doesnt appear to do them any harm

Barcelona's unique Catalonian identity doesnt appear to do them any harm

But that isn't the brand they are selling to the world, their style of football is the key selling point to global fans. I doubt most of the glory hunters in the U.S, South Amercia or China know anything about Catalonia. When the world speak of Rangers, we are actually called "The Protestants" in some countries and our heritage is known the world over, it's now become who we are.

The Protestant/unionist etc identity is our USP. If we are looking at it purely commercially it may be relatively limited but it's what we have got. Drop it and we are just another team with a large support playing in a fairly obscure league without much finance, albeit with history but that doesn't count for too much.

Global brand? If we are ever anywhere near it (ie within 10 years of getting a sniff) then we can reassess but in our current position then it seems crazy to want to drop our USP. It just needs to be reassessed and promoted in a positive manner and in a way that we can easily counter our detractors.