Is there a cure for schizophrenia?

The 21 in '83 seems ok compared, as you say, to their present 0 or 1; but when you compare it back the way, you find they had a third more in the 1950's.

I doubt it seemed reasonable to the Tory chiefs to see their MPs drop by a third.

The 21 in '83 seems ok compared, as you say, to their present 0 or 1; but when you compare it back the way, you find they had a third more in the 1950's.

I doubt it seemed reasonable to the Tory chiefs to see their MPs drop by a third.

No doubt, I imagine their target now is to get back to 10 or 11.

No doubt, I imagine their target now is to get back to 10 or 11.

Yep, I'm sure the millionaire troika of David, Boris and Gideon will rouse the Scots to vote for them in huge numbers.

Cameron; millionaire son of millionaires, privately educated at Eton and Oxford, never had a job in his life, handed the keys to number 10 because he was the least bad of a motley crew.

Salmond; average guy son of average people, state educated in West Lothian, worked in a real job at RBS and earned his way to a senior position, fought and won power in a system designed to prevent a single party doing so. Not once, but twice.

Can't imagine why the Tories wouldn't win a landslide in Scotland, never mind getting only 10 seats.

Yep, I'm sure the millionaire troika of David, Boris and Gideon will rouse the Scots to vote for them in huge numbers.

Cameron; millionaire son of millionaires, privately educated at Eton and Oxford, never had a job in his life, handed the keys to number 10 because he was the least bad of a motley crew.

Salmond; average guy son of average people, state educated in West Lothian, worked in a real job at RBS and earned his way to a senior position, fought and won power in a system designed to prevent a single party doing so. Not once, but twice.

Can't imagine why the Tories wouldn't win a landslide in Scotland, never mind getting only 10 seats.

You forgetting the SNP needed to form a minority government in 2007?

I'd rather have Cameron leading me than Salmond, however unpopular an opinion it may be in Scotland.

Correct me if i'm wrong but did the Conservatives not still have a reasonable number of Scottish seats in Westminster in the periods you're talking about? Well in the minority I know but still something like 10-20? And it was 1997 when they got totally wiped out?

Reasonable compared to their 1 now.

Why do you think it dropped so dramatically? They didn't need the Scottish votes for a majority - we had 72 seats at that time.

In 1989 Scotland was used as a political tax guinea pig with the introduction of the Community Charge a year before the rest of the UK.

Ravenscraig steel works were closed in 1992 even though it was still making a profit and hitting efficiency records. It could easily have been kept ticking over until market conditions improved. The economic impact and massive knock on effects were disastrous.

The nuclear submarine refitting was moved from Rosyth to Devonport in 1993 due to party political reasons even though the latter needed a £350m upgrade to do it and is need an urban area raising safety concerns.

Just three of the nails in the coffin of the Tory party in Scotland.

Edited by calscot

Why do you think it dropped so dramatically? They didn't need the Scottish votes for a majority - we had 72 seats at that time.

In 1989 Scotland was used as a political tax guinea pig with the introduction of the Community Charge a year before the rest of the UK.

Ravenscraig steel works were closed in 1992 even though it was still making a profit and hitting efficiency records. It could easily have been kept ticking over until market conditions improved. The economic impact and massive knock on effects were disastrous.

The nuclear submarine refitting was moved from Rosyth to Devonport in 1993 due to party political reasons even though the latter needed a £350 upgrade to do it and is need an urban area raising safety concerns.

Just three of the nails in the coffin of the Tory party in Scotland.

I actually don't think the poll tax sounds like it was a bad idea, Maggie clearly made a mistake implementing it in Scotland first though.

Not forgetting his amazing ability to claim £400 a month from Westminister for food when in fact he was firmly esconded in Scotland at the time.