The problem with the scheme outlined in the OP is that it is not financially viable to the club. Giving a 10% discount in the club shop, ticketing discounts or restaurant/tours discounts would cost far more than £10pa per member. A member buying a top for himself and one other would just about cost the club a tenner, never mind any ticket discounts, prizes etc to be arranged.

So the cost of membership as against benefits available has to stack up financially otherwise it will cost the club money instead of putting money in.

I have looked at this a few times over the years as I love the idea of a membership, but I definately would not want it to be free or included in a ST. For it to work it has to be voluntary and cost a fair price for what you are getting out of it.

That way you get the members who want to be members, and you will then get accountable leaders. A two year term of office for all office bearers, with no return to office within a decade should stop it from becoming a closed shop or run by the same people for years. Half the office bearers being re-elected each year means that a fresh election is held every year for half the board, with the other half being replaced the next year. This gives some stability and a good changeover period. It also means that volunteers know that they are not going to have it take over their lives, just a 2 year period of dedicated service. We badly need fresh approaches and fresh talent in our supporters groups, so I think this would see fresh ideas coming in every year. A fully functional web-site and forum for members only would be an ideal place for members to ask for help from their office bearers, or to bring them to task.

It has to be priced at a minimum of £5 per month for it to achieve the things it wants to, like good member benefits, and putting a good amount of money into the club. The money could be ringfenced for either youth development, fans facilities (including web-based for non-attending supporters), creation/upkeep of our museum, or a combination of things.

Quarterly meetings at Ibrox with the membership, with a weblink on the members-only website, and with a full Q&A would also enhance the accountability and ensure any issues were quickly taken up by the board.

It would need to be given proper credibility from the club, and have access to football board meetings, plc board meetings, and a good working relationship with the CEO.

I have always thought this was possible, but have always suspected that the current groups would not be interested as it is akin to Turkeys and Christmas. It would quickly become the recognised voice of the fans, run by the fans for the fans, with the largest membership and the loudest voice of all the fans groups. The RST would remain as a small shareholders vehicle, and the Association would no doubt still tackle the thorny issue of away ticketing for its members RSC's, but effectively the Assembly would be replaced by the Membership scheme vehicle.

there is such an opportunity to invest and also become "democratically" involved into the fortunes of the club.

I know what you mean democracy is VERY important but it is equally important to note that a membership scheme is just that it is NOT an investment in the club inasmuch as it does not confer any ownership rights (because we are a plc with shares). Barcelona and Real Madrid members DO own the clubs, Barcelona is organised as an association not a company. It is not possible to buy shares only membership, and it is owned by its 170,000 members; and the German 50+1 model also is different, whereby the association or club has to have a controlling stake, commercial interests can't gain control.

In Bayern Munich, for example, Audi and Adidas each own 9% but the other 82% is controlled by the members via the club.

Hurray, something I can object to that everyone else likes.

I don't think there's any point expecting anything more than the cachet of being a Rangers Member for your tenner (or whatever). Maybe a cheap repro club tie for AGM's or something but that would be about it. That said I'd be willing to pay because I am a sucker.

Someone mentioned avoiding elitism but I'm going to wade in and say we need a bit of elitism, because some of the likely candidates for office would be liable to make John Brown look like the model of sober public speaking, should they get a platform.

Edited by andy steel

The problem with the scheme outlined in the OP is that it is not financially viable to the club. Giving a 10% discount in the club shop, ticketing discounts or restaurant/tours discounts would cost far more than £10pa per member. A member buying a top for himself and one other would just about cost the club a tenner, never mind any ticket discounts, prizes etc to be arranged.

So the cost of membership as against benefits available has to stack up financially otherwise it will cost the club money instead of putting money in.

I have looked at this a few times over the years as I love the idea of a membership, but I definately would not want it to be free or included in a ST. For it to work it has to be voluntary and cost a fair price for what you are getting out of it.

That way you get the members who want to be members, and you will then get accountable leaders. A two year term of office for all office bearers, with no return to office within a decade should stop it from becoming a closed shop or run by the same people for years. Half the office bearers being re-elected each year means that a fresh election is held every year for half the board, with the other half being replaced the next year. This gives some stability and a good changeover period. It also means that volunteers know that they are not going to have it take over their lives, just a 2 year period of dedicated service. We badly need fresh approaches and fresh talent in our supporters groups, so I think this would see fresh ideas coming in every year. A fully functional web-site and forum for members only would be an ideal place for members to ask for help from their office bearers, or to bring them to task.

It has to be priced at a minimum of £5 per month for it to achieve the things it wants to, like good member benefits, and putting a good amount of money into the club. The money could be ringfenced for either youth development, fans facilities (including web-based for non-attending supporters), creation/upkeep of our museum, or a combination of things.

Quarterly meetings at Ibrox with the membership, with a weblink on the members-only website, and with a full Q&A would also enhance the accountability and ensure any issues were quickly taken up by the board.

It would need to be given proper credibility from the club, and have access to football board meetings, plc board meetings, and a good working relationship with the CEO.

I have always thought this was possible, but have always suspected that the current groups would not be interested as it is akin to Turkeys and Christmas. It would quickly become the recognised voice of the fans, run by the fans for the fans, with the largest membership and the loudest voice of all the fans groups. The RST would remain as a small shareholders vehicle, and the Association would no doubt still tackle the thorny issue of away ticketing for its members RSC's, but effectively the Assembly would be replaced by the Membership scheme vehicle.

TB, thanks for this helpful contribution; I think if you read my subsequent posts you will see that I agree with you in all the areas I have highlighted and don't disagree with you on anything.

I did only refer to the first year free or at nominal cost for season ticket holders to give the scheme some momentum; equally it would be possible to restrict benefits for that period; but broadly I agree with £5 per month/ £50 - £60 per year. I have inserted a line in the OP to make that clear.

The exact constitution of Scheme could be proposed in a document drawn up a by group of people, perhaps including say one club director, someone like Jim Hannah or Sandy Jardine (if up to it) and some supporters representatives drawn from forums etc assisted by the Club's solicitors, but for the reasons highlighted I would suggest that any current serving member of the Boards of the Assembly, RSA or RST would not be eligible because there MAY be a conflict of interest.

But let's not sweat the small stuff at this point, the important thing is to see if the idea gains traction over the next few days.

It is arguable that the fans best chance of influencing events at the club was lost in 2010 (how much influence do the RST have now for their £250K?) but I can't see that there can be any better timing than now, when McColl & Co are almost begging for support.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Comment on line inserted in OP

BH

I have started a thread on FF, hope your agreeable.

No problem.

I was kind of hoping someone might! As you know I don't go there :D

(I was barred once and politely declined a kind offer of reinstatement from Mr Dingwall.)

No doubt you will report back here.

No problem.

I was kind of hoping someone might! As you know I don't go there :D

(I was barred once and politely declined a kind offer of reinstatement from Mr Dingwall.)

No doubt you will report back here.

When they find out it has come from yourself !!!!!!

Never mentioned names, but you mention the RST.

Yes of course, it's not something I shy away from; I am proud of the contribution I tried to make in terms of financial management, the rules of gersnet etc; but let's not dwell on the past, the future of our Club is what matters now.

Edited by BrahimHemdani