This is not a hard scenario to imagine. An operation like Ladbrokes would have powerful trending software with innumerable triggers which could cross-reference any clients betting habits. I would not like to speculate on why they would raise the alarm on Mr. Black, a client is a client after all. However, looking at it from the point of view of the SFA the speculation is greatly narrowed. Supposing someone informed Mr. Lunny of their suspicions about Mr. Black, and he in turn requested the betting history of Mr. Black from Ladbrokes.

How difficult would it then be for his staff to cross-reference team sheets with actual bets placed?

Why was Mr. Black chosen?

I just don't think we've got enough information to get too carried away with this because we can't say with any certainty yet that Black (or indeed Rangers) is being singled out, or even if he IS being singled out, then by whom or by which organisation. It could be the case that a Ladbrokes employee who also happens to be a Rangers-hater has went hunting in the Ladbrokes system or even just stumbled across Black's activities as part of their general betting investigations and essentially grassed him up to the SFA because he's a Rangers player, but it's also possible that Black isn't the only player who's been reported to the SFA. Ladbrokes might have reported a bunch of football players to the football authorities and it's the SFA who've decided to take action against Black first as part of wider investigations. If that were the case, then there would also be multiple possibilities because certain people at the SFA might just be targeting Rangers, but it could also be the case that Ladbrokes gave them info on a bunch of players and it turns out that Black is the only one daft enough to have placed bets against his own club. Lots of possibilities.......

... it appears to be an open secret that many footballers gamble and gambled. If Black is being charged and fined, I expect the SFA to follow this up and charge and fine all who do it, to the last man. If they don't though ...

If it's as widespread as is being suggested then they simply won't have the resources to charge every single player who has bet on a football match even although it's absolutely against the rules, unless they set up some kind of external tribunal. However, I would expect them to charge any and all current players who it can be proved have gambled on matches in which their teams played whether or not they played in the matches concerned and whether they bet on or against their own team.

This definitely looks like a can of worms; not nice for us if Black turns out to be one of them.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

That's just not true.

The Daily Telegraph revealed in February 2012 that, "according to HMRC sources, up to eight Premier League clubs have been scrutinised for the same issue facing Rangers, the use of Employee Benefit Trusts."

"Under new legislation, companies with disputed EBT issues had to settle them by Dec 31. Arsenal are one club that historically used EBTs to pay some players but they are understood to have resolved any issues with HMRC. "

Rangers decided to contest the case, that's the difference.

If you say so.

I don't think anyone would argue with that, least of all Kyle Hutton.

I think Hutton is more of a waste of salary than Black ................ regardless fo what Hutton earns.