Leggo: The rangers audit, deloitte man, sean beech and the charles green link

As much as I think this piece is pretty poor from Leggo I would ask you this, is he doing us any harm?

There are bloggers from the mhanks hell bent on inflicting as much damage on us as possible, it's their end goal. Therefore berating leggo at every opportunity just isn't on my agenda.

As much as some of his stuff is drivel, I'd rather he was working at gathering information on our behalf than nothing at all.

For me, nothing more than must do better next time.

As much as I think this piece is pretty poor from Leggo I would ask you this, is he doing us any harm?

There are bloggers from the mhanks hell bent on inflicting as much damage on us as possible, it's their end goal. Therefore berating leggo at every opportunity just isn't on my agenda.

As much as some of his stuff is drivel, I'd rather he was working at gathering information on our behalf than nothing at all.

For me, nothing more than must do better next time.

Do you defend McMurdo on a similar basis?

Yes. The need for him to find a RC sounding name and then accuse them doesn't do us any favours and also takes some eyes off the ball. We should be concentrating on people that are actually doing us harm rather than making things up, like a tax partner is heading up audits.

I would ask you this, is he doing us any harm?

I would say....YES.

All it serves to do is fuel the flames of paranoia. The accounts will come out and immediately be met with scepticism - It's Green's man covering things up etc. Not every employee, company or corporation out there is against this club.

The accounts will come out and immediately be met with scepticism

To be fair, that's going to happen no matter what any blogger writes and most people take Leggo's ramblings with a big pinch of salt anyway.

As an aside, anyone who knows anything about the lengths that audit firms have to go to in order to comply with auditing standards, will understand the huge risk that Deloitte would be taking if they were to be involved in some form of cover up.

I'm not saying it hasn't or wont happen, but given the sums involved in Rangers, why would a top 4 firm with turnover in the billions of pounds take such a risk? Its a bonkers suggestion without concrete evidence.

As an aside, anyone who knows anything about the lengths that audit firms have to go to in order to comply with auditing standards, will understand the huge risk that Deloitte would be taking if they were to be involved in some form of cover up.

I'm not saying it hasn't or wont happen, but given the sums involved in Rangers, why would a top 4 firm with turnover in the billions of pounds take such a risk? Its a bonkers suggestion without concrete evidence.

Leggo made a stupendous mistake with this one IMHO.

Deloitte, being one of the 4 largest firms in the public accounting world AND having seen what Enron did to Arthur Andersen, will absolutely NO WAY put their independence nor integrity at risk over Rangers. No matter how big we deem ourselves to be we are small fry in the Deloitte world.

Not just Auditing Standards but public accounting firm practices have very rigid procedures in place with regards to these things for obvious reasons. An audit will have an engagement partner but will also have a reviewing partner, which creates a need for the engagement partner to be above reproach. But to show just how much of a gaff this was by Leggo we only need read post #16 from Bluedell.... Sean Beech is a tax partner at Deloitte, not an audit partner - his only involvement, IF indeed there is ANY (which is likely NOT the case if he has those ties to Green) would be to review the tax section of the audit file.

Another thing that Leggo misses is that he seems to try to make Deloitte sound like they are some localised entity - whilst indeed local offices run of their own accord, the procedures, guidelines, principles and regulatory requirements are being dictated from National Offices as well as bodies such as the PCAOB, FSA, LSE, SEC etc.

Leggo scored an OG with this one.