Kilmarnock fans rage at 'desperate' chairman Michael Johnston.....

I've always thought halve the entrance fee, double the attendance. If the product still isn't worth it then we are dead in the water.

Most footbal fans are diehards who attend at (almost) any price, so that might increase the attendance by 10%-20% but not enough to compensate for the lost revenue.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Most footbal fans are diehards who can at (almost) any price, so that might increase the attendance by 10%-20% but not enough to compensate for the lost revenue.

Totally agree with this, Calscot and Gribz. Wonder if there's is a better balance somewhere though? Is there a ticket price that would increase attendance enough to offset the reduction in each individual ticket? The club want the maximum revenue but a greater total attendance is also preferable.

As BH says all those who will attend probably already are.

Totally agree with this, Calscot and Gribz. Wonder if there's is a better balance somewhere though? Is there a ticket price that would increase attendance enough to offset the reduction in each individual ticket? The club want the maximum revenue but a greater total attendance is also preferable.

As BH says all those who will attend probably already are.

The problem with this as Kilmarnock are finding out is twofold:

1. What you really want to do is introduce differential pricing, to a greater extent than just having slightly different prices for the different stands. However, if you offer a sudden sharp reduction, to sell unsold seats, which is entirely logical, you then upset all those who have paid full price. Note however, that we accept this in airline and hotel pricing, on the basis of paying a higher price to secure a seat or hotel bed on the date and fare class that we want. So it might be realistic at Ibrox if almost all seats were sold and the last 1,000 say were sold at a discount, perhaps £15 or more radically £9.99? However, you could only do this on a selective basis otherwise too many non-season ticket holders would hold off to the last minute.

2. Reducing prices across the board is another matter. Leaving aside 35,000 or so season tickets, essentially you are talking about selling 10,000 -15,000 tickets for a home game. So if you sell 10,000 at £17 in round figures you get £142,000 but if you reduce the price to £15 for everyone and shift all 15,000 you get £187,500 (all net of VAT). Assuming that you are selling 10,000 regardless of price, for every £1 (gross) you reduce the ticket price you lose £8,333 so you would need to sell an extra 625 seats to break even. Personally I don't think that a pound or two would make much difference and you would probably lose out, although there might be an offset with other sales revenue. If you reduced prices to say £9.99 across the board ex season tickets, the maximum you could bring in would be around £125,000 so you would lose out compared with selling 10,000 at £17.00; and even then I'm not convinced that you would sell out the second time we play Arbroath, for example.

An alternative might be to adopt the American model of differential pricing based on quality of opposition but more radically than we have done in the past, perhaps combined with (1) above. However, that would be difficult if not impossible in SPFL1 or even the so called Championship and would need to be reflected in season ticket prices. Currently I am paying the equivalent of £20.50 per game which is more than I would pay to buy the seats game by game and this can only be justified in order to secure the seat I want, which isn't an issue at present as there are lots of empty seats.

Conclusion - not easy to get the right balance; but the Germans have achieved it so worth experimenting I'd say.

The problem with this as Kilmarnock are finding out is twofold:

An alternative might be to adopt the American model of differential pricing based on quality of opposition but more radically than we have done in the past, perhaps combined with (1) above. However, that would be difficult if not impossible in SPFL1 or even the so called Championship and would need to be reflected in season ticket prices. Currently I am paying the equivalent of £20.50 per game which is more than I would pay to buy the seats game by game and this can only be justified in order to secure the seat I want, which isn't an issue at present as there are lots of empty seats.

Conclusion - not easy to get the right balance; but the Germans have achieved it so worth experimenting I'd say.

Alternatively, you adopt the budget airline model and sell tickets more cheaply the sooner they are purchased.

Alternatively, you adopt the budget airline model and sell tickets more cheaply the sooner they are purchased.

That would certainly be a very interesting experiment but how would you price season tickets - in line with the lowest or higest price or somewhere in between?

However, very often those who end up paying high prices for airline toickets, do so because they have been forced to book late in the day and there is no such compulsion (usually) to attend a football match.

Of course you wouldn't want to adopt the Greenair model, otherwise you may have to pay to use the toilets, over-sized banners would be charged extra and the game might not last 90 minutes. Or you could follow the Orangejet guarantee that the game WOULD last 90 minutes provided that your carry-in bag was not more than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels.

I'd argue something like this is being tried already by some SPFL Premiership Clubs (the one who were in last season's SPHell) and is failing miserably. I know of both St Midden & Motherwell supporters who have bought an adult season ticket and got THREE free season tickets for kids. It's not just the attendances at the glitterdome I'm sceptical about.

St midden also give out hundreds if not thousands of free tickets for every home game in their south stand to schools & boys clubs in renfrewshire. Virtually no one pays in that stand. I'd guess about 15-20% of st midden's home attendances haven't paid for a match ticket.

I'd argue something like this is being tried already by some SPFL Premiership Clubs (the one who were in last season's SPHell) and is failing miserably. I know of both St Midden & Motherwell supporters who have bought an adult season ticket and got THREE free season tickets for kids. It's not just the attendances at the glitterdome I'm sceptical about.

St midden also give out hundreds if not thousands of free tickets for every home game in their south stand to schools & boys clubs in renfrewshire. Virtually no one pays in that stand. I'd guess about 15-20% of st midden's home attendances haven't paid for a match ticket.

That's not quite the same thing, of course, the primary intention is to make the kids the adult paying customers of the future. But you're right, of course, it tends not to work; Stanraer and other lower division teams have been trying it for years in various guises and literally they can't give the tickets away.