BBC Scotland unlikely to challenge Trust RFC verdict

It has been suggested a few times by some Celtic-minded media that BBC Scotland may decide to challenge the BBC Trust's ruling on whether or not Rangers should be referred to as a new club.

Occasional blogger @Gri64 (mainly posts on twitter) contacted the Trust and asked some questions and today got the answers so here they are.

Q. Can a trust decision be challenged by a BBC department?

A. The Trust is the final arbiter in the BBC complaints process and their decision is final.

Q. Can a trust decision be challenged by a judicial review?

A. Yes.

Q. Can I ask how many times the Trust have had a decision subjected to a judicial review if this is the case?

A. The SNP asked for a judicial review of a complaint about the televised Prime Ministerial debate in 2010, however, the challenge was withdrawn after an initial hearing.

Q. Can I ask if a BBC department has ever "appealed" a Trust ruling or went down the judicial review route?

A. No. The BBC are obliged to accept the Trust’s findings. A BBC department has never sought a judicial review of a Trust decision.

:)

Were they to seek a judicial review for something as banal (in the grand scheme of things) as the wording used to describe a football club then that would take obsession to a whole new level.

Indeed but would it really surprise you if they did? Some of these people seem eager to antagonise Rangers fans no matter the cost to their credibility.

Indeed but would it really surprise you if they did? Some of these people seem eager to antagonise Rangers fans no matter the cost to their credibility.

I have no doubt that they enjoy antagonising Rangers fans. It usually works and makes the reptiles at the BBC feel like they are real players. But the BBC is also a very large corporation with a management structure, rules and procedures. And at some point, someone very senior and who has a rather more balanced view of the world is likely to rein them in on the grounds that 'nuclear options' like judicial reviews should be used for things that really matter. That person might ask - as one of my bosses once famously did - "Have you taken your retard pills today?"

Yes, Franky, it would suprise me, if they did. Quite apart from anything else (such as the credibility of a minor outpost of the BBC seeking to review a decision made way above their level by people with seemingly no axe to grind) almost certainly they could not sanction such expenditure on their own even if they had the funds to do it, which is doubtful. A judicial review (as the answers to the questions reveal) is such a major step that I am sure it would require approval of the main BBC Board and for the main Board to seek a judical review of a Trust decision would have all sorts of ramifications; so it is inconceivable to my mind that it would be allowed to proceed over what the Board would see as a little local skirmish.

Even if it did proceed, I am sure that their Lordships would say the judical equivalent of go away and behave yourselves

No. I would suggest that we concentrate complaints on serious abuses; otherwise we will just be seen as serial complainers and none will be taken seriously.

every single one will be a win though.

you have to nip things like this in the bud.

else they will be like 3 year olds testing the boundaries of your tolerance.