Apparently Tam Coawn has been suspended by the BBC for mocking ladies' football. No doubt he'll claim it was just banter.

Not a courtesy he extends to us, much.

I admit to liking him & think he can be funny sometimes. But his hypocrisy about slagging Green for racism when he's had a misogynist radio show for nigh on 20 yrs really got on my tits.

Hear that? That's the sound of chickens coming on home to roost, boy.

I'll be honest; I used to love listening to them in the early days. The banter was great and sometimes the guests they had would have you in tears - and fair's fair, some of the best were Celtic guys from their 9 in a row period - but every week was something to look forward to.

Their remit was to lampoon and ridicule Scottish football (this was before Scottish football decided to take that job in-house and do it themselves) and in particular the Old Firm - and lampoon they did. As a Rangers fan I always accepted that, as the country's biggest club, we were there to be mocked -and that's as it should be- and I was always the first to, well, maybe not laugh, but nod my head in knowing acceptance when they got tore into us, if and when we deserved it.

Only, there was always an undercurrent of something not being 'quite right' with the show. Like with Jim Davidson; supposedly a comedian, but something about him makes your skin crawl when he started to talk about 'Britain' or political corectness or foreigners. So it was with Stuart and Tam when they talked about Rangers or women

In the case of Cosgrove it was his all consuming hatred of us, which he was able to mask and pass off as "anti-old firm" banter (except that he never seemed to include Celtic, oddly enough) until the early part of 2012, when he felt safe enough to take off the mask and let his bigotry loose, accusing us of everything under the sun until the Big Tax Case decision left him exposed as the tit he is.

In the case of Cowan, it was his overly frequent put downs of a) women's football and b) women.

Those of us of a certain generation - or maybe I'm just stupid and it's just me - thought that the battle for female equality was one which had been fought and won, and that any residual pockets of resistance were to be found in the local golf club, Conservative Party or outdated religious institutions and would soon be mopped up and eradicated.

It seems not.

I must admit to being genuinely surprised at the level of his contempt for women and in this day and age, I can really only put that down to something freudian.

Seriously, if you have so much contempt for women, that's not a character flaw, it's an illness.

In either case, neither Cowan, nor his blow-hard buddy Cosgrove, has any business being funded by taxpayers of whom an overwhelming majority are either Bluenose or female.

I'll be honest; I used to love listening to them in the early days. The banter was great and sometimes the guests they had would have you in tears - and fair's fair, some of the best were Celtic guys from their 9 in a row period - but every week was something to look forward to.

Their remit was to lampoon and ridicule Scottish football (this was before Scottish football decided to take that job in-house and do it themselves) and in particular the Old Firm - and lampoon they did. As a Rangers fan I always accepted that, as the country's biggest club, we were there to be mocked -and that's as it should be- and I was always the first to, well, maybe not laugh, but nod my head in knowing acceptance when they got tore into us, if and when we deserved it.

Only, there was always an undercurrent of something not being 'quite right' with the show. Like with Jim Davidson; supposedly a comedian, but something about him makes your skin crawl when he started to talk about 'Britain' or political corectness or foreigners. So it was with Stuart and Tam when they talked about Rangers or women

In the case of Cosgrove it was his all consuming hatred of us, which he was able to mask and pass off as "anti-old firm" banter (except that he never seemed to include Celtic, oddly enough) until the early part of 2012, when he felt safe enough to take off the mask and let his bigotry loose, accusing us of everything under the sun until the Big Tax Case decision left him exposed as the tit he is.

In the case of Cowan, it was his overly frequent put downs of a) women's football and b) women.

Those of us of a certain generation - or maybe I'm just stupid and it's just me - thought that the battle for female equality was one which had been fought and won, and that any residual pockets of resistance were to be found in the local golf club, Conservative Party or outdated religious institutions and would soon be mopped up and eradicated.

It seems not.

I must admit to being genuinely surprised at the level of his contempt for women and in this day and age, I can really only put that down to something freudian.

Seriously, if you have so much contempt for women, that's not a character flaw, it's an illness.

In either case, neither Cowan, nor his blow-hard buddy Cosgrove, has any business being funded by taxpayers of whom an overwhelming majority are either Bluenose or female.

RPB

That is an excellent summation, Cosgrove is indeed sly and cowardly - his subsequent public apology for calling us cheats was more about personal libel than genuine remorse .

as a taxpayer-funded organisation the BBC has a duty to produce impartial broadcasts of a required standard which are factually-correct and inoffensive. Employing the likes of Cosgrove, Spence and Cowans runs a very high risk of compromising all of that. Me thinks an example has been made of Cosgrove in this instance. Time will tell how it impacts on his remaining chums who are much worse than him

RPB

That is an excellent summation' date=' Cosgrove is indeed sly and cowardly - his subsequent public apology for calling us cheats was more about personal libel than genuine remorse .[/quote']

If Cosgrove had any dignity about him (stop sniggering at the back!) he would have resigned his position when the result of the tax tribunal was made known.

Prior to that, he had fronted, (and continues to front), a virulently anti-Rangers coterie at the BBC and he had made his feelings towards Rangers crystal clear in the months leading up to his humiliation - as well as making pronouncements over the public airwaves that were slanderous at worst and in breach of the BBC's charter at best.

Normally, if you back a losing horse with every penny you have, you're bust and have to leave the racetrack. Had he been working for any other organisation, he would have been handed his jotters long ago.

The BBC is not, however, an organisation like any other and it seems that as long as you run with the in crowd and/or dutifully mouth whatever you're told to, your position is safe.

How else can the employment of this clown on not one, but two saturday show be explained - for I refuse to believe that this self-important, two-faced twat represent the cream of Scottish broadcasting talent.

Wow. Just read what he said. Just wanted to pick up on this bit:

I initially assumed it was a closed-doors game. I haven’t seen Fir Park so quiet since Harri Kampman was in the dugout.

If women’s football is so good, where the hell are all the supporters? Surely even the most fervent fans must agree it’s time to chuck it?

Face it, folks, nobody cares about women’s football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground,

Look around the lower league grounds on any given Saturday/Sunday and you may find crowds lower Tam. But hey, that's 'proper' football isn't it.

And this:

Editor's note: Folks, we would like to point out Tam is a professional funnyman and what he has to say should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Also, his views are not necessarily those of the Daily Record as a whole. If you wish to complain, his email address is tam.cowan@dailyrecord.co.uk

Is that really all it takes to get away with it? I don't read the DR for a myriad of reasons, but misogyny wasn't one of them previously.