Scottish Cup 3rd Round Draw: Rangers v Airdrieonians

Bearger makes a good point. A non-ST game, not the most glam opposition, it could be a half empty Ibrox.

Which is where the club should be stepping in and organising some event to drive up sales. Maybe a tenner say, for one adult & one child, or 15 for an adult & two kids. Even go mad and have the whole Broomloan at kids for a quid. Get someone the young people like to perform at half time or something. Have a bloody flute band for all I care...just do something pro-active to get people into the ground.

There's plenty of time!

It's difficult to lower ticket prices without the express permission of the opposition... They are, after all, due a slice of the gate money.

I think it may get a reasonable crowd for a cup game if it's played on the Saturday at 3pm but otherwise it's an extra expense for season ticket holders against less than glamorous opposition - whom we will face another four times in the league this season. It may also be crap weather in November and there will be a fireworks night to take the kids to.

Half time entertainment is rarely very interesting and hardly an incentive to go.

I think we're looking at the usual 20-25k we normally get for a lower league cup game.

Maybe lowering the ticket prices will increase the crowd but if the projected income is less, it might not go down well with Airdrie. If you chop 40% off the entry and only increase the crowd by 25% (say 25k moving up to 30k), there's an obvious, significant shortfall in income while costs remain pretty similar.

So I'd expect about a £15 ticket price at the minimum. The kids thing may be something to play with, especially as Airdrie fans don't exactly have to travel far and so could take advantage of it. They may be put off, however, by Rangers supporters' big and bad reputation...

It's a good opportunity to give the armed forces (or some other section of society) free tickets.

Edited by calscot

Will be interesting to see how many attend this game.

What do you mean?

I wasn't at the game in Airdrie, but apparently a significant section of the Airdrie fans were extremely scummy and hostile and I remember seeing it mentioned on other sites that there seemed to be a large timmy-like element. They were chanting with references to "huns", stuff about Shiels having one eye and basically just a bunch of scummy hostility.

That's one of the biggest downsides to having drawn them for the Scottish Cup. Thousands of Bears went to Airdrie and gave their club a massive financial boost only to be treated like dog shit by a section of their fans, so it's a shame to have to give them another huge payday from a Scottish Cup tie. Especially when there were plenty of clubs in the draw who it would have been nicer to draw.

Another downside is that they return to Ibrox the following week for league business, so it's Airdrie two weeks in a row.

I wasn't at the game in Airdrie, but apparently a significant section of the Airdrie fans were extremely scummy and hostile and I remember seeing it mentioned on other sites that there seemed to be a large timmy-like element. They were chanting with references to "huns", stuff about Shiels having one eye and basically just a bunch of scummy hostility.

They never used to be like that in the 80s. Airdrie was generally the opposite to Coatbridge and tended to have a more Rangers-minded support. may have changed since then.

I remember watching one of Mo Johnson's first matches for Rangers, a friendly at Broomfield, and he took dogs abuse from the Section B. Airdrie always had a section of their support who hated everyone, but they particularly hated them.

They never used to be like that in the 80s. Airdrie was generally the opposite to Coatbridge and tended to have a more Rangers-minded support. may have changed since then.

I actually don't mind hostile fans dishing out dogs abuse, but I'd just rather we hadn't drawn a club with a section of fans who chant stuff like "go home ya huns" and similar things, especially when our own fans are getting done and given football banning orders for singing certain songs.

a club with a section of fans who chant stuff like "go home ya huns" and similar things, especially when our own fans are getting done and given football banning orders for singing certain songs.

Who else would that leave?

Everyone else is offensive, but only one team is routinely punished for it.