Don't know if any Hooped Horror watched the Last Night of the Proms this year, or any before.

Funnily enough, the US conductor and the producers chose a few new songs for the final part, ahead of Jerusalem, Rule Britannia and God save the Queen.

They always have a decent enough programme before they get to the toe curling finale.

alternatively, we could drop this display of militaristic jingoism entirely and replace it with something worthwhile.

Why not have a particular day set aside ever season where we celebrate one particular branch of public sector workers - not just soldiers. We could have nurses one year, carers who work in old people's homes the next year, firemen the year after that. All of these jobs are far more valuable to society than that of a soldier and far more deserving of recognition.

alternatively, we could drop this display of militaristic jingoism entirely and replace it with something worthwhile.

Why not have a particular day set aside ever season where we celebrate one particular branch of public sector workers - not just soldiers. We could have nurses one year, carers who work in old people's homes the next year, firemen the year after that. All of these jobs are far more valuable to society than that of a soldier and far more deserving of recognition.

Are you for real? Can you tell me which of these fine professions allows the freedom to the rest of these listed professions to carry out their quality work. If you must laud their efforts then have a separate day for these other professions on a rolling basis, but do not detract from the fine work our forces do by appeasing the bheast. Some things remain sacrosanct and apart from the ordinary. I'll guarantee you that not one service person who was on the Ibrox pitch would have considered themself as part of some "display of militaristic jingoism". I'll guarantee you also, that the 50,000 supporters in the stands who roared their appreciation of the troops efforts felt that such a display was "worthwhile".

All of these jobs are far more valuable to society than that of a soldier and far more deserving of recognition.

I happened upon this article on another site this morning and I thought I would post it for the edification of yourself and the rest of the hoi polloi.

It would appear that the young troops feel that their "jobs are valuable to society" and that they enjoy such "recognition".

Maybe it could be said that because of the young service people of today - and their counterparts in the past - performing such a valuable service to society that we are afforded the freedom to express differing opinions.

Some things in life are, unfortunately, taken for granted.

http://vanguardbears.co.uk/article.php?i=121&a=armed-forces-day:-a-thank-you

Armed Forces Day: A Thank You

Written by: The Ref

Thursday, 17th October 2013

A serving member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces, has asked if I could put into words his appreciation and thanks to our club,

Rangers Football Club and all associated with it including our supporters, for inviting him, and members of his regiment to Ibrox on

the 28th September.

He explained that when they were first told of this, it was a source of much ribbing between him and his brother; also a serviceman

currently serving in the British Army. His brother is a Rangers supporter, he is a Celtic supporter, and much was made of the irony

that although he is a Celtic supporter, there is no way his club would ever celebrate our armed forces in this way due to a large

element in their support who despise our armed forces and vilify them at every opportunity, and as was pointed out, there are very

few clubs as multi-denominational as Rangers at present.

I have many friends who have served in Her Majesty's Armed Forces and many who still do, and I know that it is hard for people to

fully understand the difficulties our forces face on a daily basis while defending our country, democracy, and world peace. We live in

an ever-changing world where war has changed. There are no longer battles such as those seen in the World Wars; we now live in a

world of fire-fights, IED's and terrorist attacks, usually involving individuals or small groups of very organised people intent on

causing as much damage as possible with as few casualties as possible on their part. In a way it has made things more intense, simply

because they no longer wear uniforms, so you cannot easily identify them, nor can you predict when and where the enemy will strike. I

also know that while serving on the front line, our armed forces truly appreciate the support they get from back home. War zones can

be a lonely place, and it easy to feel detached and unappreciated while serving so far from home, but our club offered our support an

opportunity to say thank you, and celebrate our brave servicemen and women. Our armed forces are multi-cultural, multi-national,

multi-denominational and as such we support them all. After all, it is important to remember that bullets and bombs do not

discriminate.

What was seen at Ibrox on the 28th of September was a show of appreciation for our armed forces regardless of race, creed, colour or

religion and a way of saying thank you to every one of those brave people; some who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

The soldier who contacted me said that both himself and his comrades, many of them also Celtic supporters, truly appreciated this

show of thanks and support, and in his words he, 'loved every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat'.

We should be proud, every one of us. Thank you.

I don't know how you can stand supporting Rangers tbh, you seem to hate so much of what we stand for.

I don't know how you can stand supporting Rangers tbh, you seem to hate so much of what we stand for.

Hey, what happened to your 'football for football matches only' mantra from yesterday? It's hard to keep up at times.