Well, Bluedell, let me tell you, as someone who has just been cleverly outed as a closet terrorist-sympathiser,whose strong point is the history of the IRA, the song was written in the 1970s and so, being about an old man reflecting on his youth, it is, one the face of it, a song about the original IRA and not the Provos.

On the face of it.

But then, we all know that's bullshit. We all know that people who pretend to be singing about the original organisations, rather than their modern day terrorist manifestations,, and who point to song lyrics to prove it are pretty much two-faced bullshitt merchants.

I've actually posted a song that proves it's about the original organisation and you're still spouting that nonsense. You have a very low opinion of our support for a Rangers fan.

Again, if I may attempt to summarise your position, it is this: You are, by your own admission, entirely ignorant of the history of the IRA, (and by implication ignorant of the origins and causes of the conflict in Northern Ireland and by extrapolation, ignorant of the events which seem to play such an important part in your own Weltanschauung) and yet, despite this self-acknowledged ignorance, you feel competent enough to proclaim what this song does and does not refer to.

Yeah because I don't know the finer little details about the IRA I've no idea about the troubles. You got me!

There is, of course, no question and never has been, that the object of their affection is the Provisional IRA, and no doubt, among the younger neds, the Continuity IRA and the Real IRA and the I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-IRA IRA.

Neither is there any doubt that anyone who goes to a football match in Glasgow and sings about 3 lettered Irish terrorist groups and pretends to be singing about what these used to be a hundred years ago is.... now how can I put this without incurring the wrath of the admins... indulging in veracious inexactitude.

I've proved that to be a lie...

But that's not really the issue, is it? The question before us is not about the drivel they sing, it's about the drivel that our so-called supporters sing. And we really don't, by the way, have a "large loyalist/protestant" element to our support. 90% of Rangers fans don't give a damn about loyalism and probably only slightly less don't give a second thought to religion of any kind.

That's just a blatant lie. You can hear on matchday the amount who are loyalists and it's more than 10%

'So called supporters' aye anyone who sings loyalist songs isn't a real Rangers fan...

To sum up; you talk shite. :)

I doubt there's a Rangers fan alive who hasn't belted out one of those songs at one time, I certainly did.

But the point here isn't whether we should or shouldn't sing them it's that the Union bears, by singing them, invite comparison to the Green Brigade.

That's only a question in the rhetorical sense.

There was a claim somewhere in this mess of a thread about Rangers fans being Protestant, It's utter nonsense: the vast majority of us (yes, I include me, see above) sing anti-Catholic (oh oK "anti-******") songs. However, as for attendance - far less belief - in the confession (to give it its correct term) of Christianity known as Protestantism, a negligible percentage qualifying as protestant would probably be overstating the case.

We behave as a support as anti-Catholic, not as pro-Protestant (not that we should do this nor that it has any place in football , if even society in the 21st Century). We are seen worldwide as that. Our belligerent expression of "Britishness" is totally at odds with the main positive defining features of being British. I have to say that our support for even something as seemingly noble as Remembrance Day has seemed to me to become just a petty little spat with the idiots in the schum's support, not really a reflection on the day itself.

Edited by SteveC

That's only a question in the rhetorical sense.

There was a claim somewhere in this mess of a thread about Rangers fans being Protestant, It's utter nonsense: the vast majority of us (yes, I include me, see above) sing anti-Catholic (oh oK "anti-******") songs. However, as for attendance - far less belief - in the confession (to give it its correct term) of Christianity known as Protestantism, a negligible percentage qualifying as protestant would probably be overstating the case.

We behave as a support as anti-Catholic, not as pro-Protestant (not that we should do this nor that it has any place in football , if even society in the 21st Century). We are seen worldwide as that. Our belligerent expression of "Britishness" is totally at odds with the main positive defining features of being British. I have to say that our support for even something as seemingly noble as Remembrance Day has seemed to me to become just a petty little spat with the idiots in the schum's support, not really a reflection on the day itself.

Your link in your previous post isn't working for me.

I wouldn't get too hung up by what RyanGers193 is posting, it's fairly clear from this thread he's not thought his views through or is in denial about reality. Either way he's far from being representative of our support at large as you rightly point out.

You make some very good points.

what a depressing thread, not least because it recalls endless "conversations" I had in Glasgow - when it was still a place to love - in the early 70s.

Oh well, here is an insightful and relevant article from FF:

http://www.followfollow.com/news/tmn...30/index.shtml

By Hobbes

Link does not work for me, could you check it or give the headline for a seperate search? Thanks!

Your link in your previous post isn't working for me.

I wouldn't get too hung up by what RyanGers193 is posting, it's fairly clear from this thread he's not thought his views through or is in denial about reality. Either way he's far from being representative of our support at large as you rightly point out.

You make some very good points.

In what way have I not thought my views through?

you know as well as I do our support feels the same way as me, either that or you never attend matches/have no friends who support us.