I thought that was a rather rambling piece by Kheevins which sought to 'explain' the Green Brigade's behaviour by putting it in a wider context of a resurgence in fotball hooliganism in Scotland.

But, by any measure, the behaviour of the Green Brigade is worse than that of other supports. Offensive banners, bigoted chanting, throwing of smoke bombs and flares and the vandalism of other club's grounds. And it is that reality that Kheevins seeks to lessen by bringing others into the equation.

Not that this excuses the flare thrower at Falkirk and as Ranger's fans we need to be doing our bit to stop this kind of thing happening. But if the efforts to downplay the actions of the Green Brigade or the actions of a Celtic support content to fight it out with Dutch police continue in this vein then it will not be long before other, possibly worse, incidents occur.

When this happens - and happen it will - we need to ensure that the Ranger's support do not give the mhedia an opportunity to deny, deflect and dissimulate in the way that Kheevins does above.

To be fair to Hugh, the GB and UB are both differing sides of the same coin and for every unsavoury incident inflicted on Celtic by the grotesque Green Brigade, their polar opposites in the Union Bears will try and outdo them with equally charmless Orange symbolism or their own pyrotechnic omnishambles.

The Union Bears insist on political indoctrination classes before you can join them and have had numerous banners at Ibrox celebrating terrorists who killed countless UK citizens? No? Then I'd suggest that the UBs are nothing like the Green Brigade.

The Union Bears insist on political indoctrination classes before you can join them and have had numerous banners at Ibrox celebrating terrorists who killed countless UK citizens? No? Then I'd suggest that the UBs are nothing like the Green Brigade.

Found it an odd comment but didn't know if there was stuff I missed as I currently live in England.

There are signs of old-fashioned hooliganism returning to Scottish football. A flare was thrown on to the pitch during Rangers’Scottish Cup tie at Falkirk causing damage to the artificial pitch.

This was one section that REALLY stood out for me...the mentioning of "old-fashioned hooliganism" being mentioned in the same breath as RFC SINGLE flare incident. Would using Ceptics use of 18 smoke bombs, three fireworks, a flare and the mindless destruction of numerous seats @ Fir park not be a better example of "old-fashioned hooliganism"???

I thought that was a rather rambling piece by Kheevins which sought to 'explain' the Green Brigade's behaviour by putting it in a wider context of a resurgence in fotball hooliganism in Scotland.

To overcome a problem you first have to identify the problem. If there is more than one problem then each problem has to be dealt with on its own. If Celtic have a problem then they need to deal with it, and it alone, on their own along with authorities. If Rangers have a problem then they also need to deal with it on their own along with authorities. Similarly any other club who might have a problem. This habit of the MSM of comparing the misdeeds of one support with any misdeeds of another support only allows the offending club to deflect from the real problem.

Celtic have indicated that they are appalled by the Green Brigade's behaviour, fine. Why should the MSM compare that to a single flare at Falkirk, let Celtic get on with it and deal with it at the same time letting the public know what is happening. Keep the case in the headlines until a conclusion is reached. Otherwise it is a case of deny, deflect, not our problem but a societal problem, and the case just peters out without dealing with the problem.

Already the GB have issued a statement indicating that the dirty deeds were done by 100+ yobs who have attached themselves to their banner unofficially. Now Lawwell can either believe that or he can do what he should have done after all the other misdeeds in the last few seasons - deal with the GB swiftly, harshly and properly.

After he's done that, then you Hugh, can feel as free as you want to do comparisons with the single flare thrower at Falkirk who was caught, processed and dealt with in under a week. It only takes a will on the part of the club affected to deal with the problem properly.

You can't foresee the conduct of individual nutters, but you can control the direction of a culture.

And you'd be wrong.

The point is that singing about the UVF or the YCV or people of that ilk - who killed 'UK citizens', whether they wanted to be British or otherwise - is in no ways 'better' than singing about the IRA.

And you'd be wrong.

The point is that singing about the UVF or the YCV or people of that ilk - who killed 'UK citizens', whether they wanted to be British or otherwise - is in no ways 'better' than singing about the IRA.

No, that's not really the point and if you genuinely think the UBs are every bit as bad as the GB then you've a strange way of looking at things, not withstanding the issue that the UBs are open to criticism as you've pointed out. Are you really trying to argue that everyone who has ever sung the add-on to BMG is every bit as bad as the GB?

As far as I know, the GB lives and breathes this:

1zgvr46.jpg

... whereas I assume that BMG and The Sash and Derry's Walls, even Father's Advice are not being sung to emulate or promote what mid-70s/80s YCV or UVF people did. They are (hardcore Loyalists aside), AFAIK, mainly sung to annoy the Yahoos and their terrorist love-in.