Father and Son banned from Rangers matches in UK

A FATHER and son have been banned from attending Rangers matches at UK football grounds.

William and Billy Buchan were handed a two-year football banning order after being found guilty of singing offensive songs on a train journey between Glasgow and Aberdeen on February 18, last year.

William, 42, and Billy, 21, whose address was given in court as 46 Kincorth place, Aberdeen, were convicted at Aberdeen Sheriff Court last month. Sheriff Graham Buchanan ordered William to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and Billy 175 hours.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/aberdeen-father-and-son-banned-from-rangers-matches-in-uk-1.162765

What is the connection between Rangers matches and offensive songs on a train? If they were singing Rangers songs this could be deemed offensive to everyone else on the planet, does that mean Ibrox would be empty every week?

If they were singing songs that have no relation to Rangers then surely the punishment should have been a banning from travelling on trains?

This country should be utterly ashamed that it's got to the stage where people are being treated as criminals for singing something someone else deems offensive. It's nothing more than a minor breach of the peace which should carry a sentence of a slap on the wrist and a telling off and yet people are getting criminal records, potentially losing their jobs and having their lives ruined and all for what? At the very most this sort of thing should be an on the spot fine, but it's just out of control and out of hand now. Wasting the time of Courts, lawyers, police and taxpayers money on this pish is a bloody disgrace. What is this bullshit REALLY all about? Were crime figures on a downward slope or something? Do they need to invent new crimes to keep the legal system ticking over? Get a life and go and and catch some real criminals you fucking muppets!

Yes, there's nothing quite like taking your family on a train of a Saturday (they give free travel to kids at the weekend on Scotrail) and have some people in the next seats belting out football songs.

It really makes the journey complete, I feel.

It was football fans who originally drove the need to introduce legislation by writing multiple letters of complaints over a prolonged period. The Police and the powers that be were all too happy to go along with it.

So - like it or not, this type of occurrence is here to stay. Pandora's box.

The legislation is supposed to be re-examined to determine if it's working.

For some reason, each sheriff up there in Scotland seems to have their own way of treating this behaviour. Some laugh it off, some put people into jail, some hand out football bans (is that within their legislation, BTW?).

For some reason, most are utterly ignorant to what is ritten in the Terrorist Act 2006 though.

All I can think of is what a really shit father that guy is. And when you get two people who can't help but break into loud and bigoted singing on a train, they really come across as a couple of weirdos. The thing is, it's usually the plastic paddies that are that weird, but at least they have the small excuse that they are highly indoctrinated from a young age.

Yes, there's nothing quite like taking your family on a train of a Saturday (they give free travel to kids at the weekend on Scotrail) and have some people in the next seats belting out football songs.

It really makes the journey complete, I feel.

I don't think anyone is denying that and I completely agree but I cant work out how the conclusion was to ban them from Rangers games.