Can someone please explain to me why we don't sing this greatest anthem anymore

The "authorities" (define them) have said we cant so we follow like sheep.

It is legally proofable (is that a word) that this isn't a bigoted or sectarism song....so say lets start a campagn to bring back our anthem. If it means missing a word then so be it....but they cant ban 1 and not for another

Hullo Hullo

Can someone please explain to me why we don't sing this greatest anthem anymore

The "authorities" (define them) have said we cant so we follow like sheep.

It is legally proofable (is that a word) that this isn't a bigoted or sectarism song....so say lets start a campagn to bring back our anthem. If it means missing a word then so be it....but they cant ban 1 and not for another

Hullo Hullo

This was done because SDM shat it. He thought he would be in trouble with UEFA's new push for anti sectarianism. Professor Tom Devine gave a spiel on a BBC program about why ****** was wrongly used in our anthem. Nobody challenged him so the whole thing was taboo. Dingwall supposedly seen the letter from SDM banning the thing, but nobody else has.

I would think that we could sing the original again, if the RFFF was prepared to back us up with legal representation and our own professor to argue the political parts. When we won the case we could publish TBB - after all the die has been set by the scum - on itunes with the proceeds going to Rangers or the RFFF.

Is there something that the rest of us don't know that would prevent this. Bad arguments can be reversed.

It's sorely missed. It was hair on the back of the neck stuff. Electric.

I've always thought that if we had dropped the f word there wouldn't have been anything valid to complain about. This despite the fact that Timmy regularly uses it himself. However there are references to blood and dying and I think the whole wording would have to be reworked to be much more subtle.

We then have three issues; the press would scream from the rooftops about sectarianism and bigotry, Timmy would proactively start a blizzard of complaints and some of our own would no doubt see no reason not to sing the original words.

I'm afraid that it's gone and it won't come back.

Edited by bluebear54

I don't think many people these days would find it acceptable to be singing about being up to our knees in anyone's blood, even if you think that "******" isn't sectarian (the literal historic definition might not be, but it's common usage absolutely is).

It would be good to reclaim that song, but I've been going to Ibrox for well over 20 years and I've never heard the original words sung. In fact I had to look them up to see what they were ("We're down to our knees to see our team, At Ibrox or away).

We shouldn't underestimate the size of the task involved, as it would require a sustained & orchestrated campaign to remove all the "add-ons" from our songbook and educate the support to the point where large elements didn't just revert to the unacceptable versions. I'd welcome that kind of initiative as part of our Club's journey back to the top and it would be an obvious contrast with what's going on at Celtic these days...

Hullo Hullo

We are the Billy Boys

Hullo Hullo

You'll know us by our noise

We'll give anything to see our team at Ibrox or away

Coz we are the brigton derry boys

Someone want to tell me whats illegal about that?

I have a feeling that we'll hear TBB sooner than later, I was at Hampden last season v Queens Park and it spontaneously erupted just as we were at the height of our fight with the SFA. There's so much anger and frustration about at the moment that a song is the least of our worries.,

being up to the knees in anyone's blood just conjures up images of dire horror films from the sci fi channel. It is not the sort of thing that should be associated with a game of football.

Are you suggesting that La Marseillaise should not be sung at French international games?

Hullo Hullo

We are the Billy Boys

Hullo Hullo

You'll know us by our noise

We'll give anything to see our team at Ibrox or away

Coz we are the brigton derry boys

Someone want to tell me whats illegal about that?

Nothing at all. I'd prefer "for we are the Glasgow Rangers boys" though.

Always felt that if TBO and UB guys decide to sing it with the addons removed then it'd be a hit. Both groups could release a simple statement with the acceptable lyrics attached. Next home game would give Ibrox its roar again.