Ally in the Scotsman - squad rebuilding

There is a major flaw in his thinking here. Apart from the fact that rebuilding that late means it will take seasons to be ready, I mean. In addition, you don't just spend 30 million to replace 30 millions worth - what about all the dud buys, or the foreign player s who don't settle or those who find the R rangers shirt "too heavy"? How many of his buys would actually make it to long term first team challenging for the title quality? Good to see the scouting (lack of) being stressed, though.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/mccoist-rangers-may-need-30m-to-return-to-top-1-3307214

ALLY McCoist believes Rangers may need to spend as much as £30 million on strengthening their squad if they hope to mount a serious challenge for the Premiership title in two years’ time.

Speaking on the second *anniversary of the Ibrox club *entering administration, the manager expressed his hope Rangers are finally emerging from the darkest and most turbulent period in their history.

With his team’s projected return to the top flight of Scottish football for the 2015-16 season on schedule as they close in on the League 1 title, McCoist insists significant funding will be required to restore them to pre-administration standards on the pitch. “Whether we are contenders again in two years will depend on a number of things,” said McCoist. “One of them will be investment in the team, along with stability at boardroom level which is vitally important.

“If we get that, then I’d be very hopeful we’d be back in the top league and have a better chance of bringing in the quality of player to enable us to compete at the top of that league

“It’s difficult to put a figure on how much investment we need. But if you lose in the region of £30m worth of players as we did because of administration – players like Nikica Jelavic, Steven Davis, Allan McGregor, Steven Whittaker and all those boys – then I would think that standard of player needs to get replaced.

“I’m not saying £30m is the exact figure, but that’s roughly what we’ve lost. Some will argue it might be more than that, some might say a little bit less.

“But my point is that you can’t lose that, not replace it and then expect to compete at the top level.” McCoist’s playing budget will be determined by recently appointed chief executive, Graham Wallace who is half-way through his 120-day *review of Rangers’ business *operations and cost structure.

Among McCoist’s priorities is the reinstatement of a scouting network at the club which has been completely dismantled over the past two years.

“Graham and I speak a lot and we will be having another meeting today at Ibrox,” added McCoist. “He hasn’t indicated to me where he is with it at the moment, but I don’t have any doubt once he’s done his *review we will sit down and look *longer term, in terms of *players for next season, in terms of budget for next season, in terms of our scouting, in terms of *Murray Park and development of *football.

“There is a lot of work to be done and a lot of things to be discussed which I know he’s looking forward to and I certainly am as well. I haven’t mentioned a figure to him yet – you’ve dragged that out of me! But it will have to be mentioned at some point, absolutely.

“I’ve been invited to board meetings, which I look forward to, to discuss the first team, the under-20s and the youth system. It will all be brought up, as will the scouting which needs to be addressed immediately.

“Scouting is an immediate concern, particularly now as we are heavily into the rebuilding process for the club – short, middle and long-term. If we’ve not got a scouting department, which we don’t have, then that is plainly far from ideal.

“It’s absolutely staggering that we don’t have a scouting *department. That’s through no fault of Graham Wallace or *anyone on the current board – but it is our problem which needs addressed.”

With short-term funding an obvious concern for Rangers, rumours have persisted regarding the possibility of another insolvency event, but McCoist remains comfortable with the assurances to the contrary he has received from Wallace.

“He has categorically told me that will not be the case,” said McCoist. “He told me once and if that changed he would have told me otherwise. He told me that’s not the case and that’s good enough for me and I’d fully expect in the relationship I have with him, if the goalposts had moved in that direction he’d have told me.”

Edited by SteveC

I can't disagree with anything ally is saying there. A fool could see we need scouting and significant investment. Such investment won't be truly possible until we are back in the top league.

I am not disagreing with what he says per se - but I do disagree with the amount, it'd need a lot more than that. You can bet that the schum will start spending when we get back.

6 foreign imports

6 good British players

6 good players signed from the rest of Scotland

6 Auchenhowie grads

The 6 foreigners have a rotation/life-span of around 2-3 years before being sold for a profit and replaced (think Jelavic, Cuellar, Bougherra, Boumsong etc). The next 12 build the core of your squad (these are your McGregor, Davis, Naismith, Weir type players) and the 6 Auchenhowie grads are players you hope will eventually graduate into one of the upper tiers (that would be guys like Ness, McCabe, McMillan, Shinnie).

You should be able to build that, if you work cleverly, for £6-10m. You have to have a scout who guarantees a success rate of over 50% with those imports too.

Of the current squad, Law, Bell & Wallace all definitely fit in there as first picks. Macleod probably too.

The idea that it will take £30m is ludicrous, but I can see what he's getting at.

I am not disagreing with what he says per se - but I do disagree with the amount, it'd need a lot more than that. You can bet that the schum will start spending when we get back.

They don't really have the money to spend. They have about £35m of profit in the last 18 months and only have a £5.7m cash surplus.

I'll estimate that they'll lose about £8m between December and June too with dwindling attendances, massive costs, no Cup run and out of Europe.

6 foreign imports

6 good British players

6 good players signed from the rest of Scotland

6 Auchenhowie grads

The 6 foreigners have a rotation/life-span of around 2-3 years before being sold for a profit and replaced (think Jelavic, Cuellar, Bougherra, Boumsong etc). The next 12 build the core of your squad (these are your McGregor, Davis, Naismith, Weir type players) and the 6 Auchenhowie grads are players you hope will eventually graduate into one of the upper tiers (that would be guys like Ness, McCabe, McMillan, Shinnie).

You should be able to build that, if you work cleverly, for £6-10m. You have to have a scout who guarantees a success rate of over 50% with those imports too.

Of the current squad, Law, Bell & Wallace all definitely fit in there as first picks. Macleod probably too.

The idea that it will take £30m is ludicrous, but I can see what he's getting at.

In this market, really? it's hard get one good British player for 6-10million far less 6! Average players go for 8 figures nowadays. Also we will not have 6 graduates that make it through to regular top division games - we'll be lucky if we get three . We won't get 6 foreign imports that arrive and do well unless we spend a fortune on about 20 of them (think of all the foreigners we've had over the years that have failed totally at Ibrox). We are talking about getting back into Europe - 30million wouldn't come close to getting us through the qualifiers. IF, and that's only IF, you follow what was being said in the interview about replacing what we have lost by going out and spending. The other route of taking ur years in the wilderness to build from the ground up would have been an alternative - I'm not sure there is time now.

There is no formula, no exact numbers for this or that. In reality, you could sign a full team of bosmans to win the SPL every year with the right scouting and contacts. This need to spend money and talk about millions this and millions that does my head.

Yes, but I was only following the article quoted - how much Ally would have to spend if he were to replicate the level of team he was referring to. It'd cost more because not all the buys would settle or succeed. I'm not saying it is the correct way to go, just following the thought process laid out.

In this market, really? it's hard get one good British player for 6-10million far less 6! Average players go for 8 figures nowadays. Also we will not have 6 graduates that make it through to regular top division games - we'll be lucky if we get three . We won't get 6 foreign imports that arrive and do well unless we spend a fortune on about 20 of them (think of all the foreigners we've had over the years that have failed totally at Ibrox). We are talking about getting back into Europe - 30million wouldn't come close to getting us through the qualifiers. IF, and that's only IF, you follow what was being said in the interview about replacing what we have lost by going out and spending. The other route of taking ur years in the wilderness to build from the ground up would have been an alternative - I'm not sure there is time now.

Good, as in relative to our opponents. There are plenty of lower league bosmans and cheap players in England. Bosmans in Scotland too.