Fan ownership at Rangers can work the way it does at Barcelona, Real Madrid or at the many German clubs that are fan-owned.

It's up to us to adopt a system that we think will work for us.

We need it to give us stability of ownership and the ability to plan ahead. We also need it to make sure the right people are running the show.

At the moment, the club could be sold overnight. It could become the property of people with dangerous intentions - indeed it already has.

The days of the club changing hands as often as a suburban bungalow have to end.

When it is firmly anchored to the support, we will have the opportunity to make Rangers something special, something better than before, something wonderful.

Right now, we chat endlessly about every aspect of the club and those who are in charge do exactly what they want.

They need to make money. When we own the club, it will function to suit us - not random buyers who have spotted a chance to make a quick buck.

I think the original piece is a fair summation of the current situation. Rangers are NOT the establishment club and I would contend have not been for in excess of forty years.

Look at events over the last dozen years in general and the last two in particular. The local MP is Iain Davidson, a old Labour type and has been fairly vocal and been involved on the periphery. Remember, Rangers employ approx. 250 folks and bring considerable income to both city and the immediate proximity of the stadium. Thus, Iain Davidson's efforts are the minimum of acceptable.

The MSP is Nicola Sturgeon, Deputy First Minister. She wields a big stick. However, she made a couple of statements in the immediate aftermath of the Administration, same concern for jobs and survival of a medium size employer that she would forward to any other company. Then, Nicola put as much distance between the Rangers situation and herself as she could, even moving constituency office from Paisley Road West to Pollockshaws Road.

The MEP is George Lyon, another Labourite who has uttered not a single word on the Rangers situation.

The City Council is elected by PR, thus Ibrox is covered by four Councillors. Three Labour Party and one SNP. They are, James Adams, Fariha Thomas, Stephen Dornan, and Allison Hunter. Again, not one has made a comment, not to the Glaswegian, nor specifically to the Govan Free Press.

There you have it, public meetings, supporters schemes, and supporters' marches on the SFA, ......................... etc and none of those names(other than the occasional Iain Davidson) have bothered their collective arses.

I remember a Hamilton Bye-Election a dozen years past where half a dozen Accies supporters used the national exposure to highlight the then plight of their club. They raised the Deposit to put up one of their number as a candidate, he garnered over 6,000 votes. There are not six thousand Accies supporters in greater Hamilton. It concentrated the minds of the local politicians and New Douglas Park became a reality. If a Rangers fans grouping(the RFFF say) decided to stand for those 4 council places, .............. the resources brought to Bear, would see a shoo-in. It would concentrate other minds too.

If we admit the problem, realise the situation, we might begin to solve the problem.

Well, "we" know what the situation is. We know what could or even should be done about it. We actually talk a lot about it. But sadly enough, there it essentially ends. If someone tries to change it, e.g. the RST, it is not that others join in, but people start questioning their motives first and foremost, bring up quarrels and stuff of ages past, rather than work together.

Hence I suggested a different approach with different people altogether. But again, we more or less only talk about it, rather than make that first step.

Well, "we" know what the situation is. We know what could or even should be done about it. We actually talk a lot about it. But sadly enough, there it essentially ends. If someone tries to change it, e.g. the RST, it is not that others join in, but people start questioning their motives first and foremost, bring up quarrels and stuff of ages past, rather than work together.

Hence I suggested a different approach with different people altogether. But again, we more or less only talk about it, rather than make that first step.

DB, I believe you're correct.

An important error in the thinking of those who believe in fan ownership is that "they" will run the show. My view is somewhat different.

No matter if this Board, the last Board, a custodian, RST or whoever runs the show, we should still have an all-encompassing membership scheme and and all encompassing properly constituted fans governance and accountability board to look after the people who are looking after us. Just because a group of fans feel they are doing the right thing, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are.

After all that we've been through, you know it makes sense folks.

This is where we should be starting. And now is when we should be starting. Little acorns etc.

Edited by bluebear54

"I do not believe that Rangers should be under the control of one owner/benefactor. We have already seen the damage that has been caused at Rangers (and many other clubs) when the club becomes a hostage to the fluctuating whims and wealth of a single owner."

Dave King

(from a statement just released)

I think the original piece is a fair summation of the current situation. Rangers are NOT the establishment club and I would contend have not been for in excess of forty years.

Look at events over the last dozen years in general and the last two in particular. The local MP is Iain Davidson, a old Labour type and has been fairly vocal and been involved on the periphery. Remember, Rangers employ approx. 250 folks and bring considerable income to both city and the immediate proximity of the stadium. Thus, Iain Davidson's efforts are the minimum of acceptable.

The MSP is Nicola Sturgeon, Deputy First Minister. She wields a big stick. However, she made a couple of statements in the immediate aftermath of the Administration, same concern for jobs and survival of a medium size employer that she would forward to any other company. Then, Nicola put as much distance between the Rangers situation and herself as she could, even moving constituency office from Paisley Road West to Pollockshaws Road.

The MEP is George Lyon, another Labourite who has uttered not a single word on the Rangers situation.

The City Council is elected by PR, thus Ibrox is covered by four Councillors. Three Labour Party and one SNP. They are, James Adams, Fariha Thomas, Stephen Dornan, and Allison Hunter. Again, not one has made a comment, not to the Glaswegian, nor specifically to the Govan Free Press.

There you have it, public meetings, supporters schemes, and supporters' marches on the SFA, ......................... etc and none of those names(other than the occasional Iain Davidson) have bothered their collective arses.

I remember a Hamilton Bye-Election a dozen years past where half a dozen Accies supporters used the national exposure to highlight the then plight of their club. They raised the Deposit to put up one of their number as a candidate, he garnered over 6,000 votes. There are not six thousand Accies supporters in greater Hamilton. It concentrated the minds of the local politicians and New Douglas Park became a reality. If a Rangers fans grouping(the RFFF say) decided to stand for those 4 council places, .............. the resources brought to Bear, would see a shoo-in. It would concentrate other minds too.

If we admit the problem, realise the situation, we might begin to solve the problem.

Allison Hunter died earlier this year, I'm not sure if someone else has been elected to her ward yet.

The real question is why all of those politicians feel the need to put distance between them and us? Ian Davidson, Nicola Sturgeon and the late Allison Hunter don't come from an obviously anti-Rangers background. Politicians are nothing if not opportunists, so why did they choose to pass up that opportunity?

After our ownership I think this is the biggest issue facing Rangers. I think we're miles away from solving it though.

I agree.

Condolences to Ms Hunter's family and friends.

I spent 16 years away during my professional life. When I returned in 94/95, the mood music surrounding my club had changed. A cordon sanitaire had been constructed, Rangers were perceived as a disease that should be contained.

The club must work to build a raft of social and political opinion

John Lennon neglected to use this line, so I'll do it for him: imagine there's no Rangers.

If Rangers had gone bust and disappeared altogether, or if we actually do self-destruct in the next few years, how will we be remembered as the years pass? In 50 years, how will history remember the extinct Rangers?

Not well - and that's the diplomatic way of saying it.

Do you think Scotland will look back fondly with sweet memories of Rangers, or will it be glad to have rid itself of a club that became a national embarrassment? I'll give you a clue - it won't be the former.

Rangers will be portrayed as a club where sectarianism and intolerance were a way of life. Families with Rangers fans in their past will keep quiet about it.

I don't pretend that this future Scotland is going to be an enlightened place, but I do promise you that Rangers will be remembered badly no matter how it turns out.

Will this be justified? No, it won't, but just listen to our vocal support sometimes. Does its more uncouth repertoire make you proud - or make you cringe?

Society has changed, and it has changed in a way that many of us do not approve of, but as it moves forward, Rangers seems to be getting dragged along behind it rather than playing an active and valuable part in it.

In some quarters, we are viewed as a dinosaur. On the park, that might be true, but off it, we simply cannot afford to be a throwback that society would rather see the back of.

I believe that fan ownership can transform us. Rather than fearing it, I believe that the responsibility that will go with it will make Rangers a better club, a more enlightened institution and a far greater asset to both Glasgow and Scotland.

Under random and seriously flawed owners, we will never reform this club. Under our own steam, we just might.

Fan ownership can, and I hope will, be our salvation.

Fan ownership at Rangers can work the way it does at Barcelona, Real Madrid or at the many German clubs that are fan-owned.

It's up to us to adopt a system that we think will work for us.

We need it to give us stability of ownership and the ability to plan ahead. We also need it to make sure the right people are running the show.

At the moment, the club could be sold overnight. It could become the property of people with dangerous intentions - indeed it already has.

The days of the club changing hands as often as a suburban bungalow have to end.

When it is firmly anchored to the support, we will have the opportunity to make Rangers something special, something better than before, something wonderful.

Right now, we chat endlessly about every aspect of the club and those who are in charge do exactly what they want.

They need to make money. When we own the club, it will function to suit us - not random buyers who have spotted a chance to make a quick buck.

Fan onwership may work, but absolutely not the way it does in Spain.