My current blackberry is on its last legs, used BB for 5 years and thought by far the best for what I need a phone for - the basics of text, emails and call plus the odd internet search. The new Blackberrys aren't quite as user friendly and not too impressed with it, therefore I am going for my first touch screen.

I tinkered with the Samsung S5 but find its too big for my liking (a mini isn't out yet) although I like the functions.

Was close to buying the Sony Z1 compact but if I want a entertainment phone I'll buy a tablet.

I have used an Iphone on occasion and liked it, thought its very user friendly. However the only thing stopping me from buying it is whether I need to have iTunes installed on laptop / PC or not? Does the setting emails up / downloading apps like WhatsAPP require itunes??? How about transferring pictures from phone to none apple PC, does have to be done via ITunes or can be done by USB from phone to PC?

Muchas!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Handwringer Loyal

You need itunes to transfer anything from your pc to your iphone (unfortunately, seeing as the software is utter shite). Transferring music, photos etc is what it's needed for so you'll have to have it. Anything else like downloading apps n that doesn't require itunes. I've got a 5 and very rarely use itunes as i rarely plug it into my computer. I use spotify so no need to transfer any music as it is all streamed.

Email also doesn't require itunes but a word of warning - the BB email client is second to none and the iphone's email client is pretty poor. That said, you can get around this. The benefit of having an iphone is the phenomenal range of apps available to its users. As such, there is an abundance of email app alternatives. I use Mailbox. Completely free, won a ton of awards and it is simply indispensable now.

I'm a bit of a smartphone addict so any questions gimme a shout. I've owned BBs, Android phones, Windows phones and iPhones. Definitely need to get out more :nuts:

Many thanks, that pretty much answered everything. I was close to buying I yesterday but held off until I try a few things out on it.

The use of the phone is great but I still think Android is the way.

Have you used the Sony Z1 Compact? That's option 2.

Guest Handwringer Loyal

i've not personally but my brother has one and loves it

i agree, android all the way. im eyeing up the htc one for when my current contract runs out and i can finally ditch my iphone

i've not personally but my brother has one and loves it

i agree, android all the way. im eyeing up the htc one for when my current contract runs out and i can finally ditch my iphone

How does your brother find the email for Sony? I don't use a phone much for anything other than email and messages although a good smart phone will be handy for a wee bit of internet sometimes, that's where the Blackberry doesn't tick the boxes.

Why does having iTunes matter? I don't really ever use it. You can pretty much do everything just on the iPhone itself. You need an iphone account though.

Installing iTunes takes about 2 mins and you never really have to use it so not sure why it's a concern.

I don't like iTunes at all. Find it very unintuitive. If I ever use it, I always seem to have to use google to figure out how to do what I am wanting....as I say though it's not really an issue as you don't really ever have to use it.

Guest Handwringer Loyal

he says it's ok but he used to have a bb and agrees it just can't be beat for email. apparently the device's efficacy for email depends on the account you have. if you have gmail, you're laughing, totally seamless (unsurprising as it's an android phone). icloud apparently works fine too but he hates using his windows account on it. apparently when you delete emails on the phone it doesnt delete from the actual email account. to do this you have to physically log on to the email account from a pc and manually delete them. similar issues with his uni account which is mulberry based. im not surprised, had similar issues with my android phone (nexus) and windows phone (lumia). I cant say if this is endemic of all sony devices or if it's just an issue he's struggling with, he's the only person i know who has one.

i share your frustration with the bb on internet use. the lack of apps and general clunky internet navigation just doesnt cut it these days. I'd say go iphone if you want a sleek, if somewhat limiting, easy user experience. Go android if you want to be able to add more bells and whistles, though beware of more issues you may have to resolve yourself with your own creativity and tech saviness. I'm looking into getting a linux based phone, though that's mostly aimed at sad folk who want to write and construct their own apps and mobie os.

Another thing in favour of the sony is it's gorgoeous screen resolution. Sony led the way with multimedia laptops like the vaio and they've carried their know how onto phone screens with beautiful precision. Sound quality is also up there but in my experience the HTC phones are racing into the lead on that one. Not sure if that will sweeten the deal for you or not but it's a nice touch if you catch yourself with nothing to do in an airport lounge but watch rangers tv on your phone.

Just to add, I have a bb for work, and I hate it.

I have no problems with my email being synced. It also syncs across to a Win 7 PC also (via ICloud).

Maybe I'm lucky, but the whole ICloud thing is seamless and works a treat. I remember rafting around a bit to get the IPad to join in, but it's well worth the work.

That's what I like about Apple. I no longer spend time in the gubbins of PCs or mobile phones. The things just work and do what they're supposed to.