Ex players and their part in 2012 and onwards

I'm having a light chat on FB on ex players and their lack of action since admin. So, should they have done more when we went into administration and months afterwards?

Some points from me:

Bomber got a lot of hassle for speaking up when he did. Okay, he might have lacked the appropriate skills but the message was still there. A portion of the support and past colleagues flung him under a bus IMO.

Gough was approached early days in admin to help with SaveRangers and never got involved. I'm willing to move on if he can help with supporters now though.

Many players gave interviews with the usual sound bytes but never thought of standing besides the support. March to Hampden is a classic example where Sandy led the support besides influential fans...an excellent opportunity to show unity with the people who adored them but not one stuck their head above the parapet. Disappointing when Sandy and Ally were in the trenches with supporters.

Kris Boyd got involved in BuyRangers and certain players walked away in very disappointing circumstances.

So, your opinion on the current status of ex players and their actions during and after administration?

I don't think we can be overly critical of such people. Put aside their footballing ability they're just ordinary Joe's like the rest of us who'll probably find great difficulty in not only understanding the finer points of the debate but risking their own reputation (be it managerial, coaching or media jobs) to get involved.

Do they have more responsibility than you or I? Maybe but they'll have seen what happened with Bomber and prefer to keep their own counsel. And who can blame them...

i think they fear getting it wrong and being attacked. ir getting attacked even if they get it right.

say barry ferguson backed sos. the trolloc press would be running with ferguson backs convicted thug chugg. a nonsense but you know they would.

Yeah - for the most part football fans outlook can be black and white when it comes to their club. The consequences can be detrimental to their own careers. That said, I still feel they could have done more. Walking besides Sandy to Hampden would never have harmed their careers or grouping together with competent individuals and quiz the regimes more. That'd have more gravitas than supporter groups with the wider support and perhaps help bring more of us together.

I don't see the treatment of Brown having an effect on anyone. He was an arse, who was cuddling up to Celtic fans, and wasn't able to back up anything he said, and got most of it wrong.

Yeah - for the most part football fans outlook can be black and white when it comes to their club. The consequences can be detrimental to their own careers. That said, I still feel they could have done more. Walking besides Sandy to Hampden would never have harmed their careers or grouping together with competent individuals and quiz the regimes more. That'd have more gravitas than supporter groups with the wider support and perhaps help bring more of us together.

yeah thats very much fair comment. a lot of them want an easy life i am sure.

I don't see the treatment of Brown having an effect on anyone. He was an arse, who was cuddling up to Celtic fans, and wasn't able to back up anything he said, and got most of it wrong.

I think he was onto something but is unable to articulate the message that would resonate with fans or paint a clear picture.

It was the then squad of players prior to Admin Id have any gripe with for jumping ship and not helping the club in the hour of need rather other than pro's from years before that. But so far the fans haven't been quick to forget Whittaker, Naismith and Lafferty which is good.

I'm having a light chat on FB on ex players and their lack of action since admin. So, should they have done more when we went into administration and months afterwards?

Some points from me:

Bomber got a lot of hassle for speaking up when he did. Okay, he might have lacked the appropriate skills but the message was still there. A portion of the support and past colleagues flung him under a bus IMO.

Gough was approached early days in admin to help with SaveRangers and never got involved. I'm willing to move on if he can help with supporters now though.

Many players gave interviews with the usual sound bytes but never thought of standing besides the support. March to Hampden is a classic example where Sandy led the support besides influential fans...an excellent opportunity to show unity with the people who adored them but not one stuck their head above the parapet. Disappointing when Sandy and Ally were in the trenches with supporters.

Kris Boyd got involved in BuyRangers and certain players walked away in very disappointing circumstances.

So, your opinion on the current status of ex players and their actions during and after administration?

Was there a particular reason that Gough didn't get involved?

He refused to be a supporter of the one decent initiative that we've had but has now opted to back an idea that is more of a publicity stunt than a credible plan?

Maybe it's just as well that ex-players keep a safe distance when the chips are down.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk