Much of todays 'middle class' seek bargains.

London ("Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham") is another economic world.

It's all relative, but ok, let's take Newcastle United. The London to Edinburgh trains after a match are stowed with their supporters travelling back to Scotland. They won't be the only team.

It's all relative, but ok, let's take Newcastle United. The London to Edinburgh trains after a match are stowed with their supporters travelling back to Scotland. They won't be the only team.

I don't deny that there is a drain in general from a largely uninspiring Scottish game but this has it's roots in simple customer choice rather than based on some motive to do with supposed societal 'class'.

Perhaps the Marketing Manager that Mr.Hemdani has in mind, currently works for the EPL.

Whether we like it or not, to many in Scotland we look like the right wing of the BNP. Parents just do not want their kids wearing our colours or going to our games. I wonder how many going to the games actually hide their colours until they leave home.

To my mind this happened in the early seventies with the troubles in NI, we changed from being a Scottish Club to a 'British' Club.

I would say that you need to go back to 1912 for the start of Rangers being a 'British' club, and it was for quite a few different reasons.

Don't bank on it.

The middle classes are increasingly reluctant to have their children following a club whose reputation is so poor. Rangers fans who have been 'inconvenienced' by their football allegiance start to wonder if they should encourage their children to take the same path - and neutrals generally see Rangers as a no-go area.

Parents want their children to be advantaged in life; to attend good schools, to live in nice neighbourhoods, to have high standards, to behave well and to steer clear of areas that could be troublesome.

These days, Rangers is not generally thought to be an enlightened place to be.

I have always had those aspirations for my children, but I have also encouraged them to think for themselves. If I raised a child who didn't have the wherewithal to adapt to their surroundings, I would see it as a failure on my part. I'm afraid that this is where all this talk of 'class' becomes rather silly.

I don't deny that there is a drain in general from a largely uninspiring Scottish game but this has it's roots in simple customer choice rather than based on some motive to do with supposed societal 'class'.

Perhaps the Marketing Manager that Mr.Hemdani has in mind, currently works for the EPL.

Aye, that's exactly what is called for. :D

I have always had those aspirations for my children, but I have also encouraged them to think for themselves. If I raised a child who didn't have the wherewithal to adapt to their surroundings, I would see it as a failure on my part. I'm afraid that this is where all this talk of 'class' becomes rather silly.

The failure to recognise that Rangers is damaged goods and beginning to have limited appeal is not just silly, it's negligent.

Using terms like middle class is certainly simplistic, and although it probably antagonises folk who are sensitive about these things, it does get the point across.

Our appeal is reducing. We can either pretend that it doesn't matter and attempt to define class until the club is history, or we can discuss these things in an effort to successfully address them.

The failure to recognise that Rangers is damaged goods and beginning to have limited appeal is not just silly, it's negligent.

Using terms like middle class is certainly simplistic, and although it probably antagonises folk who are sensitive about these things, it does get the point across.

Our appeal is reducing. We can either pretend that it doesn't matter and attempt to define class until the club is history, or we can discuss these things in an effort to successfully address them.

Of course there is limited appeal. Declining standards of football in the Scottish game has been happening over many years and it is terminal. People just need to accept that and work with what is there until such time that an escape route presents itself, most likely some sort of European set up. Even then it would be in a second or third tier.

I would say that you need to go back to 1912 for the start of Rangers being a 'British' club, and it was for quite a few different reasons.

Yes we changed with the influx of folk from Ulster, but I would say the perception was still we were a Scottish team. Many of the flags at Ibrox back in the sixties were St Andrew crosses with Rangers emblems on them.

Even the Orange Lodge and the songs were not frowned upon back then as they are now, whether we agree or not, many people do not want to be associated with this in the modern day.

Yes we changed with the influx of folk from Ulster, but I would say the perception was still we were a Scottish team. Many of the flags at Ibrox back in the sixties were St Andrew crosses with Rangers emblems on them.

Even the Orange Lodge and the songs were not frowned upon back then as they are now, whether we agree or not, many people do not want to be associated with this in the modern day.

I totally agree with your second point. Sir David Murray banning the OO Annual Service from Ibrox was yet another PR stunt designed to distance the club from anything that could reduce income.

We're looking to gather a list of any regular posters here who plan to attend, so please post here or send me a PM to say if you're going.

Thanks Zappa. It'd like to go, but I'll be helping out at my local rugby club's family day (who said we had no middle class fans left eh?!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk