1300 words on a situation that is becoming more worrying and difficult to justify with every day that passes...

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/260-ally-mccoist-and-rangers-time-for-some-home-truths

I love Ally. No, really; I love him. Funny, magnetic, still good looking and, of course, one of Rangers best ever players and record goal-scorer. Even so, as a player I think he was actually under-rated and it’s a shame we didn’t really see the best of him at international level or perhaps playing abroad. Nevertheless, a legend he is and a legend he’ll always be.

Unfortunately, as a manager his ongoing performance is less positive. Sure, Ally will point to the unprecedented challenges of the last few years when we examine his managerial record and only the blinkered wouldn’t recognise the onerous nature of some of these. It can’t be easy to switch from off-field duties to on-field ones as regularly as McCoist has had to do so. Doesn’t matter if it’s dealing with a succession of dodgy directors or unimpressive football administrators; combining financial back-office tasks with playing tactics is a tricky job by anyone’s standards. Indeed, there’s a lot about McCoist’s work during the Murray/Whyte/Green farce to admire and, inconsistent performances or not, we’ve won both SPFL2 and 3 comfortably enough and should be well-placed for future promotion. However, I’m sure the manager himself would be the first to admit, neither have we been overly inspiring. And neither is that promotion a certainty.

With that in mind, the substantial reduction in season ticket purchases for our most important campaign yet is worthy of perusal. Of course it may be argued the bulk of the decrease may be attributed to boardroom issues. Many thousands of Rangers fans remain correctly concerned about the activities of our directors and worried about the anonymous beneficial ownership therein. That’s fine. However, there are other reasons and I’d wager several thousand more bears are frustrated with the efforts of the manager and his coaching staff. Again, I’m pretty sure McCoist would (rightly) point to an unbeaten SPFL2 season as well as countless goals and solid wins in the preceding year. He’ll also highlight he’s had no money to buy players while being hamstrung by a lack of scouting and what may appear to be premature sanctions placed upon him and the club by the football authorities. These are valid reasons and I’ll certainly concede them.

Conversely though, there are valid opposing arguments as well. In the season we went into administration McCoist and his team blew a huge lead over Celtic and our early-season European exits from that year remain a huge source of embarrassment. Moreover, our efforts in the domestic cups since our admittance to the lower leagues have hardly been successful. Culminating in a truly desperate defeat by Raith Rovers in the Challenge Cup at Easter Road earlier this year, all too often our fans have come away from games against (supposedly inferior) opposition black-affronted. It’s also fair to say, a few years into the McCoist era; he’s been unable to put a demonstrable stamp on a style of play or long-term strategy for players and fans to buy into. Like Walter Smith before him, McCoist seems to be more of a percentages manager; unglamorous and with a preference for efficiency, directness and defence instead of pace, movement and offence. Obviously, not many people can argue that Smith was a successful (relatively-speaking) Rangers manager but, like many aspects of the modern Rangers, McCoist seems to be simply a faded facsimile of better times.

Now, no-one likes to be negative about their club – least of all this writer or Gersnet. At all times, we ask our contributors and forum members to be constructive in their criticisms. If not, criticism quickly becomes moaning which often leads to division. However, despite that, it’s becoming more and more difficult to justify not gratuitously complaining about a manager (and club) which seems to be floundering in the dark when it comes to its future. For example, while pre-season matches – especially ones on daft artificial grid-iron pitches – are a dangerous place to try and analyse new players and fresh tactics, neither should we ignore the disjointed displays and questionable formations that seem to be all too common under McCoist (and his management team). Thankfully I didn’t stay up to watch last night’s friendly in North America but those hardy bears that did seem angry at what is a dreadful result. Even worse, more and more fans just seem resigned to such results which is perhaps indicative of a fan-base tired of absolutely no leadership from their club. That’s a genuine worry when we consider the previous charisma McCoist had as a player – a quality sorely missing from teams under his management. I’d certainly like to hear his reasoning for the XI the started the game last night.

So, let’s be constructive – what is going wrong? Well, I’ve already provided some reasons; a lack of resources being the most conclusive. Whether it is money or scouting, quite simply it’s very difficult to put in place a footballing master-plan without the proper fiscal and logistical back-up. That’s why, despite the grand words of the, so-far, completely pointless 120 Day plan we’re still buying ageing players with no sell on value. That’s why we’re still adding superfluous defenders who have failed elsewhere and also apparently lack faith in many of the youngsters we expensively produce. Quite simply there is no infrastructure in place at the club to deliver anything other than unimaginative short-term thinking. Yes, the superficial buzzwords and business-speak in the 120 Day Review may sound appealing but the problems above are not new and there’s certainly no visible evidence of the review being put into action. Will a Director of Football or Chief Operating Officer really bring more positive ideas and proposals to the table? What innovations can they really put in place without significant funding to do so? How long do we give such appointments? Perhaps Christian Nerlinger realised this futility when he turned down one of the jobs above – if indeed he really was in serious negotiation.

All these institutional failures tell us why Ally McCoist is in charge. Yes, he’s not good enough; yes, he’s paid far too much; and, ironically, yes he’ll probably still win us promotion to the SPFL Premiership. However, Rangers is a club badly run and without any imagination. It’s run on a short-term basis with only the next 6-12 months (at best) in mind. There’s no investment, no leadership, no engagement and absolutely no evidence of improvement on the horizon. All we have is supporter loyalty and even that, like in the 1980s, seems to be fading with more and more people awakening to being patronised on a week-to-week, month-to-month, year-to-year basis. Not just by those currently in charge of the club but by those that who fancy stepping in. Is there anyone out there genuinely willing to take control of what is becoming an increasingly desperate situation?

Perhaps I’m guilty of being reactionary. Perhaps I’m impatient. Perhaps I’m being unreasonable or unrealistic. I don’t deny that may be the case but at the last count around 20,000 of my kin have the same doubts and frustrations as I do. Yet, after another embarrassing defeat I wake up to the usual excuses from the manager while he says Sir David Murray – one of, if not the, primary architect of the current situation – deserves an apology. If you didn’t laugh, you’d cry.

In conclusion, yes, I still love Ally McCoist. But with every passing day it’s becoming less and less of a logical relationship. Does he even love me back? Or is he just another costly part of a club that takes my support for granted and fails to explain why our future seems so shrouded in uncertainty. I, for one, am sick to the back teeth of all such people deflecting from their own weaknesses. And, until we address our failures and responsibilities head on, we’ll never move forward. The top of Scottish football has never looked so far away. In fact, the oft-talked about journey back is just beginning…

While I can understand some of the points made above, building it all on the negatives and a handful pre-season (i.e. PRE-SEASON) games is still somewhat out of order. Likewise is the rearing of the dwindling supporters drum ... in the middle of summer? All we have as hard back up for this are the statements of fan groups, who usually have been rather vocal throughout. Whether that noise will translate into dwindling crowds and attendance figures remains to be seen. Then again, maybe people are in need to such kind of view, so they can enjoy any sort of success that may come our way. The sad thing is, the next time our corner flags are not ironed enough the groaning in some quarters will start anew and drag people down a little further.

Generally, and before people start arguing the above: no-one is happy on how we played in the highlands, in Ventura, some games at the end of the season or about the result vs Raith. But likewise you simple cannot collect game results and present them out of context. When you come on here, there is an overwhelming feeling that McCoist is not up for it. We have all our opinions on him and his tactics and signings. But we should also try to be objective enough and not joining up on that bandwaggon that simply hasn't got a good word to say on him, no matter what he does. At this moment and time, I don't care about his status as a footballing legend. What matters are the results that he has to deliver. If people dreamt of 5-0 thrashings and champagne football 24/7 throughout SFL 3 and Division 1, cup wins galore et al, they were duly disappointed and rightly so! You would have expected that people who have been around for decades know that football does not comply to wishful thinking - no matter the team, the opposition, or the manager in charge. What I expect from this team and manager is promotion to the top tier. Everything else (i.e. cup wins, champagne or even decent football, 5-0 thrashings) is a bonus. And right now, while everyone is entitled to his and her opinion, I start to get sick and tired about folk who make these boni the non-plus-ultra about how Rangers should be like and build their arguments against team and manager on that.

Likewise, the constant drumming about "the board without imagination". You would want to know what people expect to happen right now with board chaps who have - for the time being, apparently - turn every penny twice before deciding what to do with it? They look for a DoF and get ridiculed. They shall whip up a scouting network, at best before yesterday ... and get ridiculed for not having done it by now. I have not as great a sympathy for them as most Gersnetters may actually think, but likewise I try to stay on the objective side and look on what is actually possible and how quickly this can be done. Whether it is the right thing (e.g. appointing Nerlinger) is another matter still.

Very fair and decent summation , and whats worse it sums up exactly why these last 3 dark years have been wasted completly , it shows Ally's mindset that he is still prepared to come out in support of the bastard Murray yet will defend to the death his dreadful team selections and displays

At this moment and time, I don't care about his status as a footballing legend. What matters are the results that he has to deliver. If people dreamt of 5-0 thrashings and champagne football 24/7 throughout SFL 3 and Division 1, cup wins galore et al, they were duly disappointed and rightly so,,,

Couldnt disagree more , that we had assembled a squad outwith the dreams of the managers we faced yet who's teams regularly looked fitter and played better football cannot be ignored , yes we eventually won the vast majority of these games , but as Frankie says , every week a bit of me died and I know many many fans who feel exactly the same way , mediocrity is now the acceptable norm under Ally

While I can understand some of the points made above, building it all on the negatives and a handful pre-season (i.e. PRE-SEASON) games is still somewhat out of order. Likewise is the rearing of the dwindling supporters drum ... in the middle of summer? All we have as hard back up for this are the statements of fan groups, who usually have been rather vocal throughout. Whether that noise will translate into dwindling crowds and attendance figures remains to be seen. Then again, maybe people are in need to such kind of view, so they can enjoy any sort of success that may come our way. The sad thing is, the next time our corner flags are not ironed enough the groaning in some quarters will start anew and drag people down a little further.

Generally, and before people start arguing the above: no-one is happy on how we played in the highlands, in Ventura, some games at the end of the season or about the result vs Raith. But likewise you simple cannot collect game results and present them out of context. When you come on here, there is an overwhelming feeling that McCoist is not up for it. We have all our opinions on him and his tactics and signings. But we should also try to be objective enough and not joining up on that bandwaggon that simply hasn't got a good word to say on him, no matter what he does. At this moment and time, I don't care about his status as a footballing legend. What matters are the results that he has to deliver. If people dreamt of 5-0 thrashings and champagne football 24/7 throughout SFL 3 and Division 1, cup wins galore et al, they were duly disappointed and rightly so! You would have expected that people who have been around for decades know that football does not comply to wishful thinking - no matter the team, the opposition, or the manager in charge. What I expect from this team and manager is promotion to the top tier. Everything else (i.e. cup wins, champagne or even decent football, 5-0 thrashings) is a bonus. And right now, while everyone is entitled to his and her opinion, I start to get sick and tired about folk who make these boni the non-plus-ultra about how Rangers should be like and build their arguments against team and manager on that.

Likewise, the constant drumming about "the board without imagination". You would want to know what people expect to happen right now with board chaps who have - for the time being, apparently - turn every penny twice before deciding what to do with it? They look for a DoF and get ridiculed. They shall whip up a scouting network, at best before yesterday ... and get ridiculed for not having done it by now. I have not as great a sympathy for them as most Gersnetters may actually think, but likewise I try to stay on the objective side and look on what is actually possible and how quickly this can be done. Whether it is the right thing (e.g. appointing Nerlinger) is another matter still.

dB - I have every sympathy for some of the criticism that goes your way for having some of your opinions. However, there's a big difference between playing devil's advocate and completely ignoring the facts in front of you.

The simple fact is we have a club, manager and team which is under-performing. Perhaps well enough to secure promotions but under-performing nonetheless and under-performing enough to remove up to 20,000 fans from season ticket purchases.

If that's not worthy of strong discussion then I don't know what is.

Ally is the Emperour in his 'birthday suit',......most of us know but don't want to say.

He was and may well still be the highest paid manager in Scotland but if you put managers into leagues for relative performance, he'd be in the 3rd or 4th tier.

It's often said that it's just aswell Ally has been there to keep the sp.ivs in check.

That doesn't wash, on the whole he's been useful for the sp.ivs (especially ST's2012) and has only really came out against individuals once they were 'finished'.

He's on a very lucrative gravytrain (including 1M 1p shares/sametime as selling ST's) that doesn't relate to where we have found ourselves or how we perform and the eventual 'halfing of salary' is apparently deferred (still due). Ally loves Rangers but he is in it for the money, lots of it.

So, let's be brutally honest.

- He's not good at his job.

- He has and is being paid 'spectaculary'.

- He is often used as a propaganda conduit opposed to speaking out when HE thinks it right.

This reluctance people have to be 'negative' - it always fascinates. The team is a hotch-potch of generally clueless mediocrity; it labours to perform, it is sore on the eye, it is about as fluent as Fabio Cannavaro's English, it would field have a dozen central defenders against a girl guide select and now it has been humbled by an American college team.

If you want to be positive about Rangers, speak as you find. Don't defend the indefensible. It is not negative to tell the truth about a Rangers team that is never going to be what you want it to be.

Ally McCoist will still be a Rangers legend when he is no longer manager. While he remains as manager, Rangers will never build a legendary team. Off the park we have problems, but on the park, our problems are just as daunting.

Edited by Hildy

This reluctance people have to be 'negative' - it always fascinates. The team is a hotch-potch of generally clueless mediocrity; it labours to perform, it is sore on the eye, it is about as fluent as Fabio Canavarro's English, it would field have a dozen central defenders against a girl guide select and now it has been humbled by an American college team.

If you want to be positive about Rangers, speak as you find. Don't defend the indefensible. It is not negative to tell the truth about a Rangers team that is never going to be what you want it to be.

Ally McCoist will still be a Rangers legend when he is no longer manager. While he remains as manager, Rangers will never build a legendary team. Off the park we have problems, but on the park, our problems are just as daunting.

Blind loyalty has always been an achilles heel for our support and it's been played upon for all it's worth.

The support have been 'played' for many years by spinning professionals with mind-sets, confusion and division uppermost. I can imagine pre-2011, when SDM was talking to Irvine with or about CW and ensuing conversations between Irvine and other incoming sp.ivs that the Toxic Spinner would crack a joke when he descibed how easy it was to 'play' the Rangers support.

----------------------------------------------------------

Just a thought, imagine there was truly a lot of positives in and around Ibrox opposed to an Omnishambes.

How would our German poster DB, be able to contain himself given how he perceives an omnishambles ?