Wednesday, 16 July 2014 16:15

Rangers To Honour Sandy Jardine

Written by Rangers Football Club

711ec6a3ceff3bee8a4ac5be5e62ff70_XL.jpg

RANGERS Football Club will pay a lasting tribute to the late, great Sandy Jardine by re-naming the Govan Stand in his honour.

The Light Blues legend sadly lost his battle with cancer in April but is forever in our thoughts and the Club will mark his phenomenal 50-year contribution to Rangers by changing the name of the Govan Stand to the Sandy Jardine Stand.

Sandy was based in the offices at the Govan Stand for many years when he returned to the Club he served with such distinction as a player so it is fitting this particular stand will carry his name.

This dedication will be in place for the opening league game of the season against Sandy's former side Hearts at Ibrox on Sunday 10 August. His family will also be guests of the Club on the day and Sandy’s widow Shona says the honour is something he was immensely proud of.

She commented: "My husband considered it a great honour and privilege to represent Rangers Football Club and I know he was extremely proud to receive this lasting tribute from the Club he loved.”

Rangers Chief Executive Graham Wallace commented: "Sandy Jardine epitomised everything that is good about Rangers Football Club. He was a man of principle and class and his contribution throughout his career both on and off the pitch was truly incredible.

"His achievements are unlikely to be seen again in the modern game and this is a truly fitting way to honour Sandy's memory. The re-naming of the Govan Stand will be a permanent tribute to a man who gave everything for Rangers.

"He was a credit to Rangers for decades and his dignity, class and love for the Club shone through. We have lost a true gentleman but he will never be forgotten and everyone at the Club is immensely proud to re-name the stand in his honour.”

Rangers Manager Ally McCoist commented: "There have been many great names associated with Rangers Football Club but I can think of no-one more deserving of this tribute than Sandy Jardine.

"A Rangers legend in every sense of the word, he will always be in our hearts and I am delighted he will be remembered forever with this permanent tribute at Ibrox Stadium.

“Sandy's achievements both on and off the pitch were second to none. He gave everything for this great club and we are all looking forward to paying tribute to him at the Hearts game next month."

Sandy, a truly world class fullback, was twice Player of the Year in Scotland and a key man in the Club's Treble-winning teams of 1976 and 1978.

He also featured in two World Cups, winning 38 caps for Scotland and made almost 800 appearances for Rangers scoring 77 goals in the process.

He won three League Championships, five Scottish Cups, five League Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 with the Light Blues and is rightly regarded as one of the greatest Rangers players of the post-war era.

His contribution to Rangers since his return in the late 90s was just as significant as he epitomised the dignity, class, history, standards and traditions that are the hallmarks of this 142 year old institution.

Sandy lost his battle with cancer on 24 April 2014.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7227-rangers-to-honour-sandy-jardine

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I don't see any requirement and there's others who I see as being equally deserving.

It strikes me as the directors just trying to do something populist to get the fans onside, similar to Craig' Whyte's idea of retiring the no 12.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I don't see any requirement and there's others who I see as being equally deserving.

It strikes me as the directors just trying to do something populist to get the fans onside, similar to Craig' Whyte's idea of retiring the no 12.

Davie Cooper, for me, perhaps slightly more appropriate.

Who did you have in mind BD? John Greig?

The problem with all of this is at what point do you have a cut-off ? and when do you run out of things to re-name ?

When Greig dies what do we rename for the greatest ever Ranger ? Why did Cooper not get something re-named ? When McCoist goes (steady SBS and SC) why would he not get something re-named for his playing exploits - what about the 72 legends ?

I just don't think it is appropriate to single out one person like this unless something unique - what about Waddell ? Walter Smith ? The only two managers who took us to European finals.

The point being.... where does it end ?

I worshipped Sandy Jardine.

As a primary schoolboy, I saw him score at Sellik Park, he was Billy Jardine in those days. Throughout secondary and tertiary education, he was a mainstay, I called my dog, 'Sandy'. Several years into my professional life, he was still playing, laterally with Hearts. My most impressionable years had Sandy Jardine as a constant. Indeed, he will remain a constant throughout the rest of my life.

I cannot agree with the club naming a stand in his honour because others are equally deserving, such as Alex Smith(21 years service from 1894-1915).

I can fully understand (and partially agree with) the objections, but the decision's been made now, so is not maybe slightly disrespectful to Sandy Jardine to complain about it?