You shouldn't have to be dead to be honoured if you deserve it for your achievements.

This is true, and of course John Greig has been privileged to actually see his statue although it commemorates a sad event more than the player himself.

It is when death occurs though that people are motivated to do something to honour those that merit a lasting tribute.

If we are on about more statues surely Tom Vallance would be first in line for one ..................

Edit: I should state I have absolutely no objection to one for Sandy. And was merely a point of note to say that not many realise the part Tom Vallance has played in our history, I'd suggest the Founders Trail if folk want to know more.

Edited by JTP

I don't see the problem with this gesture - your always gonna get someone who says what about xxx or yyy

Jardine played for the club for 17 years, making 451 appearances. He then worked behind the scenes at the club for many years. His influence & presence during the past few years - arguably the most difficult in the clubs history - has been a major factor in the club surviving. He gave the fans an element of hope that the club would make it through the difficult times. Compare that to John Grieg.....who resigned after CW's takeover, and hasn't been heard from since.

I think this is a fitting tribute to a man who had a passion for this club right up until his last breath.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the gesture per se - just that it can't be repeated for the many other players and servants who may equally deserve such recognition.

I didn't know Sandy but I'm sure he'd have the same reservations.