Jump to content

 

 

Anthony Stokes sent forward for trial over alleged nightclub attack - See more at: ht


Recommended Posts

REPUBLIC of Ireland and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes has been sent forward for trial accused of head-butting a man in a Dublin nightclub.

 

The striker has been charged with assaulting Ballyfermot Elvis impersonator Anthony Bradley, 42, during an alleged row about a spilled drink, at Buck Whaley's, on Leeson Street, on June 8 last year.

 

Today, at Dublin District Court a book of evidence was served on him by arresting Garda Noel Gibbons.

 

Judge Michael Walsh told the footballer that he was now being returned for trial to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court where he is to face his next hearing on October 10 next.

 

He has not yet entered a plea.

 

Stokes, dressed in grey suit and white shirt, was also given the standard warning that if he intended to rely on an alibi in his defence he must, “furnish the particulars to the prosecution within 14 days”.

 

The Celtic star, who was accompanied to court by his father John Stokes, nodded and said “yes” when asked if he understood.

advertisement

 

The judge also ordered copies of video evidence to be handed over to the defence.

 

The striker's solicitor Michael Staines said that if his client is unable to attend court on the next date he will notify Det Garda Des Rogers of Pearse Street Garda station. Mr Staines also told Judge Walsh that free legal aid was not required.

 

Stokes, 26, who is from Dublin, is charged with assault causing harm to Mr Bradley.

 

The DPP had originally directed “summary disposal” meaning the district court would be a suitable trial venue, however during a preliminary hearing on May 29 last, Judge Conal Gibbons, then presiding, did not agree.

 

A summary of the allegations and medical reports on the complainant's injuries had been furnished leading to his ruling that the case was too serious to be dealt with at district court level which, on conviction, can impose a maximum sentence of 12 months for the alleged offence.

 

This means Stokes, who lives at Bellhaven Terrace, Glasgow, must faces a trial before a judge and jury at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.

 

In an outline of the evidence, Det Garda Des Rogers had told the district court earlier that it was alleged that on June 8, 2013, at Buck Whaley's nightclub, “another unknown individual spilled a drink on the injured party and it is alleged Mr Stokes intervened and head-butted the injured party”.

 

Two medical reports were then handed into court.

 

Refusing jurisdiction Judge Conal Gibbons had said, “I have to say to you that based on these medical reports I do not think it is a minor offence.”

 

The details of the injuries have not been read out in court but Judge Gibbons had said that if they were such as described in the reports, “to my mind this is not a suitable case for the district court”.

 

“This is a court of summary jurisdiction, I'm going to refuse jurisdiction, I do not think it is an appropriate case,” Judge Gibbons had added.

 

The 26-year-old striker had originally met investigating gardai by appointment in Dublin on March 6 last when the charge was put to him after which he “made no reply to caution”.

 

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/celtic-fc-star-anthony-stokes-sent-forward-for-trial-over-alleged-nightclub-attack-30474587.html#sthash.KAJ0PMhh.dpuf

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's got previous for assault he might get 3 or 6 months, if not he'll likely get away with a fine and a warning.

 

I hardly think so, BH. Why would the judge change the venue from a District Court to a Circuit Criminal Court if he expected the outcome to be a fine or a warning?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scumbags often get off with these types of things. It wouldn't surprise me if he plead guilty and walked out of court with a fine for 2 or 3 grand and some token community service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scumbags often get off with these types of things. It wouldn't surprise me if he plead guilty and walked out of court with a fine for 2 or 3 grand and some token community service.

 

These medical reports are now evidence. Unless he can twist things to look like he did what he did as a self-defence ploy, then I would expect a sentence of jail time.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful and not sceptical enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These medical reports are now evidence. Unless he can twist things to look like he did what he did as a self-defence ploy, then I would expect a sentence of jail time.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful and not sceptical enough.

 

It's surprising what people get away with in the courts at times. You get folk attempting to murder someone with witnesses present and doing a deal to plead guilty to serious assault instead, then walking out of court with a fine and community service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.