ALS Ice Bucket Challenge feat. McGregor, McCoist, Boyd and more...

Hopefully that's true! You would think all the celebs doing this who are never slow in showing off their 'charitable' nature would be talking about their donations though.

It is true SBS. They have seen their donations jump incredibly since this started. It was on the US news the other night - If memory serves me, in the same time period since the challenge started their donations have jumped from $1.3 million to over $13 million.

EDIT : My numbers were wrong, it is $1.12 million to $4 million during the same time period last year.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/als_ice_bucket_challenge_resul.html

Charlie Sheen's clip was exactly the point, good on him.

Throwing ice water over yourself and not even mentioning the charity, as has been the case in most of the efforts I have come across, is just self-promotion and look-at-me-im-doing-this-bucket-challenge-thingy-aren't-i-great nonsense.

I am happy with Frankie's quote from the NYT that ALS has actually been getting donations, as I'm guessing an awful lot are just posting their clips onto facebook/twitter to look good in front of their friends. ALS/MND is a devastating disease that needs all the research into it that we can get to help sufferers and hopefully to find a cure. We dont need to see buckets of ice over people for PR purposes.

I have lost two cousins to MND - both young and very active. To watch over a period of about 5 years in the first instance and about 3 in the second the complete physical disintegration of someone so active, physical, energetic is soul-destroying. What makes it worse is that they are completely functional mentally and realizing their own physical disintegration is just awful to watch. One of my cousins, as he was house bound, reverted to making models with matchsticks.... he near completed a pretty sizable model of, I think, the Marie Celeste - but it had taken so long that his motor skills had deteriorated so much that even the last few matchsticks proved so troublesome for him that his frustrations saw him smash his fist through the whole thing. Sad, sad, sad.

I have lost two cousins to MND - both young and very active. To watch over a period of about 5 years in the first instance and about 3 in the second the complete physical disintegration of someone so active, physical, energetic is soul-destroying. What makes it worse is that they are completely functional mentally and realizing their own physical disintegration is just awful to watch. One of my cousins, as he was house bound, reverted to making models with matchsticks.... he near completed a pretty sizable model of, I think, the Marie Celeste - but it had taken so long that his motor skills had deteriorated so much that even the last few matchsticks proved so troublesome for him that his frustrations saw him smash his fist through the whole thing. Sad, sad, sad.

It's awful. I'd rather just die that go through something like that.