Currently about 81M (shares) x 21p which will be about 17M

edit.: LSE site says 18.33M

http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=RFC

ie. 81.48M x 22.5p

Cheers mate - so in theory we could be bought for about £18m - £20m. However we know that the 'board' will demand more. Just how much more, is the question I guess !!

Loans repaid to Letham and Easedale. Club statement:

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7764-repayment-of-shareholder-loans

RANGERS Football Club has this afternoon released the following statement:

Further to the announcement on 25 March 2014, the Company has repaid the secured short term credit facilities provided by Mr George Letham for the principal amount of £1 million plus interest (the "Letham Facility") and by Mr Alexander Easdale for the principal amount (interest free) of £500,000 (the "Easdale Facility").

Accordingly the security over Edmiston House and Albion car park properties has been released. Mr Letham retains the right to receive a premium payable on the Letham Facility of GBP 45,000 payable in cash on 23 February 2015 or at the option of Mr Letham, and subject to the Company having all necessary authority, in new ordinary shares of 1p each in the Company at any time before 23 February 2015.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I understand it there is a bid price (BP)and an ask price (AP).

If you have a look at the link you'll see presently the BP is 21p and the AP is 24p.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp?shareprice=RFC&share=rangers_int

If you look at the list of trades below on the same link you'll see a trade this morning at 10:36 in blue (buy) with a price used of 23.025p. ie. closer to the AP and therefore called a "buy".

Whereas the large trade for over 4M shares was traded at 20p, closer to the BP and therefore a "sell" and denoted red by the LSE website.

That's what my logic is although a Financial Bear might tell me that I am worse than befuddled.

CAUTION: don't take the above as gospel until it were confirmed (or otherwise) by expert.

That's not quite correct.

The "Ask" price, more commonly referred to as the "Offer" price is the price at which a seller indicates they will sell shares. It is not necessarily the price paid by a buyer. If it was a unit trust then the Offer price usually would be the selling price since there is no element of negotiation.

The "Bid" or "selling" price is the price at which a buyer in the market indicates he is prepared to buy the stock; it is not necessarily the price at which the stock is bought. If it was a unit trust it is normally the price at which the units are sold but that is not always true; but I'll spare you those technicalities.

The "trade" price as the name suggests is the price at which the shares were actually traded.

It is unusual to see the trade price below the bid price but in this case it will reflect the volume of shares sold in a thin market.

The "mid market price", is calculated as half way between the bid (21p) and offer (24.0p) price, so 22.5p and the notional value of the company is calculated as that price times the number of shares in issue, 81.48m giving a value of £18.33m.

That's not quite correct.

The "Ask" price, more commonly referred to as the "Offer" price is the price at which a seller indicates they will sell shares. It is not necessarily the price paid by a buyer. If it was a unit trust then the Offer price usually would be the selling price since there is no element of negotiation.

The "Bid" or "selling" price is the price at which a buyer in the market indicates he is prepared to buy the stock; it is not necessarily the price at which the stock is bought. If it was a unit trust it is normally the price at which the units are sold but that is not always true; but I'll spare you those technicalities.

The "trade" price as the name suggests is the price at which the shares were actually traded.

It is unusual to see the trade price below the bid price but in this case it will reflect the volume of shares sold in a thin market.

The "mid market price", is calculated as half way between the bid (21p) and offer (24.0p) price, so 22.5p and the notional value of the company is calculated as that price times the number of shares in issue, 81.48m giving a value of £18.33m.

Thanks for your input.

What I was getting at was why a trade should be termed a 'buy' or a 'sell' as per the LSE website.

On that, is the rational I use in the post you quoted, right or wrong ?

Thanks for your input.

What I was getting at was why a trade should be termed a 'buy' or a 'sell' as per the LSE website.

On that, is the rational I use in the post you quoted, right or wrong ?

Wrong; but I was trying to give you the explanation of why you were not quite correct rather being strident about it.

A BUY or SELL are not so named because the prices are near to the ASK or BID price nor are they in any way relevant to the size of the deal. It is simply the case that they are alternative (perhaps more common) names for the same thing.

Wrong; but I was trying to give you the explanation of why you were not quite correct rather being strident about it.

A BUY or SELL are not so named because the prices are near to the ASK or BID price nor are they in any way relevant to the size of the deal. It is simply the case that they are alternative (perhaps more common) names for the same thing.

Wrong is wrong, don't mince yir words laddie :D

So they ('buy' and 'sell') are decorative rather than informative ?

Wrong is wrong, don't mince yir words laddie :D

So they ('buy' and 'sell') are decorative rather than informative ?

They're just more common words for the same thing. The words are not wrong at all but your reasoning was a little off (see I like to be polite).

I'd say they are indeed informative which is why they are more easily understood by most people even although in the case of shares they do not normally reflect the actual price at which shares are bought or sold; but you could equally use my reasoning to say that they are just decorative.

The "trade" price i.e. the price at which the shares are traded (bought or sold) is the most important price. This should not be confused with the trade price of a car, for example, which may or may not be the price at which you buy or sell a car.

I was taught to use Bid and Offer (price) but they have been replaced gradually by "Selling" and "Buying" price. "Ask" is a term that is almost always restricted to share transactions but ask/offer/buying price mean the same thing or as close to the same thing as makes no difference.

From Chris Graham on twitter

Looks like Hargreave Hale are today's Rangers share sellers. Unlikely to be good news I'm afraid but no info on buyers yet.

Thanks for the info, chilledbear....sorry to be ignorant, but this stuff is from an alien world to me: why would Hargreave Hale being the seller be "unlikely to be good news"? Or does he mean that he thinks he knows the buyer and that is not good news?

Thanks for the info, chilledbear....sorry to be ignorant, but this stuff is from an alien world to me: why would Hargreave Hale being the seller be "unlikely to be good news"? Or does he mean that he thinks he knows the buyer and that is not good news?

Probably just that Chris believes HH wouldn't sell to someone we (or possibly more accurately Chris) would like to see involved.