They're just more common words for the same thing. The words are not wrong at all but your reasoning was a little off (see I like to be polite).

I'd say they are indeed informative which is why they are more easily understood by most people even although in the case of shares they do not normally reflect the actual price at which shares are bought or sold; but you could equally use my reasoning to say that they are just decorative.

The "trade" price i.e. the price at which the shares are traded (bought or sold) is the most important price. This should not be confused with the trade price of a car, for example, which may or may not be the price at which you buy or sell a car.

I was taught to use Bid and Offer (price) but they have been replaced gradually by "Selling" and "Buying" price. "Ask" is a term that is almost always restricted to share transactions but ask/offer/buying price mean the same thing or as close to the same thing as makes no difference.

Practical example please

So the "sell" of over 4M shares was so termed (LSE website) because ...........................

Wrong; but I was trying to give you the explanation of why you were not quite correct rather being strident about it.

A BUY or SELL are not so named because the prices are near to the ASK or BID price nor are they in any way relevant to the size of the deal. It is simply the case that they are alternative (perhaps more common) names for the same thing.

As it has now been established that Time4_Change was talking shite, :P to what degree was I talking shite too? :D

They're just more common words for the same thing. The words are not wrong at all but your reasoning was a little off (see I like to be polite).

I'd say they are indeed informative which is why they are more easily understood by most people even although in the case of shares they do not normally reflect the actual price at which shares are bought or sold; but you could equally use my reasoning to say that they are just decorative.

The "trade" price i.e. the price at which the shares are traded (bought or sold) is the most important price. This should not be confused with the trade price of a car, for example, which may or may not be the price at which you buy or sell a car.

I was taught to use Bid and Offer (price) but they have been replaced gradually by "Selling" and "Buying" price. "Ask" is a term that is almost always restricted to share transactions but ask/offer/buying price mean the same thing or as close to the same thing as makes no difference.

Thank's !

Practical example please

So the "sell" of over 4M shares was so termed (LSE website) because ...........................

That is the second time that this has been done for no apparent reason.

It would be hypocritical of Daniel Stewart & co and the RIFC PLC directors if they were essentially handing out a polite reminder of the FCA's 'Disclosure and Transparency Rules' to the buyer & seller of today's large share trade when they can't even conduct our own company business in a proper manner.

Constant errors in and corrections to disclosures, notifications and announcements.....

An official PLC investor relations website which is poorly managed and extremely tardy in it's shareholder information updates, given that there's still no update to the list of shareholders with notifiable interests following the recently concluded share offer and those new shares were admitted to the market almost 2 weeks ago.........

Edited by Zappa

As it has now been established that Time4_Change was talking shite, :P to what degree was I talking shite too? :D

I think it was probably wrong to suggest they were "dumped" on the market.

For a broker to take on that amount of shares he would almost certainly have to have a buyer lined up or even more likely the seller would have the buyer lined up through the broker.

It's also possible that the seller may have asked the broker to let him know as and when he had a buyer for that volume at a given price.