Frankie,

I am a self-confessed Luddite.

Does this mean, he only corresponds with a select few? How does Spiers know what he tweeted?

I think he will feel Spiers has betrayed a confidence; however, one journo joining and encouraging the mob against another Journo is surely verboten?

Chances are Spiers will be aware of Cos' Twitter handle under the proviso it's kept private.

If Spiers has since gone onto to discuss Cos' contribution publicly, I doubt he'll be best pleased even if the handle still isn't known to the rest of us.

The last part of your post suggests the journalists at BBC Scotland have principles. :whistle:

There was a lot of hyperbole and overblown rhetoric coming from both sides in the immediate aftermath of the referendum.

Given the tensions leading up to the referendum it was IMO, inevitable.

I'd recommend sticking everything said in the 3/4 days post referendum in the bin and starting a fresh.

I think the difference is that Cosgrove is a hypocrite of the highest order. The BBC is fair and impartial when it comes to Rangers but biased and dishonest when it coms to the referendum?

No, I don't think so Stuarty. The BBC is corrupt, dishonest and partisan to its core.

All the time.

Not just when it suits you.

I had the misfortune to have to listen to OTB a couple of weeks ago (I was getting a lift so couldn't turn off the radio) and he was announcing that the new 101 number was being introduced to replce 999 which was being phased out. The reason he gave was that 101 was quicker to dial than 999.

I kid you not.

This is a buffoon without equal and the sooner he is chased from the airwaves the better.

I think the difference is that Cosgrove is a hypocrite of the highest order. The BBC is fair and impartial when it comes to Rangers but biased and dishonest when it coms to the referendum?

No, I don't think so Stuarty. The BBC is corrupt, dishonest and partisan to its core.

The BBC is a complex broadcasting beast and has many different angles coming from many different places.

The roots of the BBC are almost by definition, 'establishment'.

The use is seen (sometimes you need to look hard as it is often subtle) at a 'macro level' of politics and the ongoing International 'soft power war' (much of this comes via the World Service but increasingly I see it on 24hr News Channels).

At a lower level, you have had had over the years many left leaning journalists which have given to some, this idea that it is absolutely a 'left-wing hotbed' :D ..............Fundamantally it is far from it.

Closer to home you have BBC Scotland which has it's own local 'issues'.

Regards views on Rangers, their employees in and around the Sports dept. would seem to represent pretty much how the population as a whole do.

ie. the majority dislike Rangers and over the past few years that has seen such fans 'unite' and become more 'militant in this common view, whilst there are others who are sympathetic.

One other area I think significant regards BBC Scotland is how they or journalists they employ have been willing to be used as a conduit for spin that they knew to come from a known 'toxic source'......and having been bitten with false info several times, continued to go back to the same for more.

Frankie,

There was a most interesting exchange of views on BBC Radio Scotland's, 'Off the Ball' on Saturday last. Cosgrove and Spiers were presenting, as Cowan is holidaying in Las Vegas. Cosgrove began by introducing Spiers as, "the acceptable face of unionism", continued the barbs throughout by asking, "do you still wear your union jack slippers bought from ASDA"? After 15 minutes or so, Spiers hit back with questioning Cosgrove's conduct during the Yestapo's flash mob antics at Pacific Quay ie a couple of thousand protesters with a dozen full colour placards depicting BBC Political Editor, Nick Robinson's image. Spiers was specific in flagging-up Cosgrove's social media contributions to the anti-BBC Scotland protest.

Spiers set out Cosgrove's 20 years working at BBC Scotland and concluded his comments reference colleagues and the institution, "sailed extremely close to the wind". Cosgrove weakly countered that he knew the management and people involved and he was in no doubt that bias had prevailed. Spiers replied, "really Stuart, really"? At this point, the show's Producer intervened and instructed them to move the discussion on to another topic.

Remember, Bears held 3 protests in just over a calendar year at Pacific Quay because of our perception of BBC Scotland bias. Cosgrove led the charge to sneer and ridicule Rangers supporters for their actions. Even after Alex Thomson insulted the victims of the Ibrox Disaster by YouTubing John Greig's statue walking away from the plinth, Cosgrove, Channel 4's Director for Diversity, protected their company asset, Alex Thomson by leading him through a rehearsed 40 minute Q and A, pleading ignorance. The next day, Thomson was utilising social media to call all Rangers supporters, 'Daleks', knowingly so, because they cannot negotiate stairs either.

It's the principle and big Stu' puts himself out there as a doyen of sanctimonious piety, Cosgrove sneers and ridicules one bodies sensitivities, but is most supportive of another. It is the very epitome of sitting extremely comfortable with a preferred prejudice.

I would be most interested if any Gersnetter could utilise social media to find out exactly what he tweeted about BBC Scotland and Nick Robinson? I do not use the means myself, I suspect it to be insecure. I would be grateful for the information because I think Cosgrove may have lost his discipline big time and handed Rangers supporters a most useful lever.

26th,

I'm not sure if this might help you.....

Zappa,

Thanks for that, I listened again, having heard it live two weeks past. Cosgrove is strident as per usual during the clip, but it's not the smoking gun referred to by Spiers.

These last two years, BBC Radio Scotland has broadcast a 30 minute show, Thursday 13.00-13.30hrs, hosted by John Beattie, contributions by Cosgrove and Eamon O'Neill. It is a media watch piece, specifically looking at how news is gathered, edited, and reported. The stimulation for the show was the two year build-up to the referendum and provides a window of opportunity for Cosgrove in current affairs. I have listened to most of them, Cosgrove never missed, often breathless on the show's introduction. Remember, he works in London for Channel 4, this show was extremely important to Cosgrove.

Yesterday, it's the first such show after the referendum and it's Beattie and O'Neill, with no explanation as to Cosgrove's absence. Topics discussed were the referendum result, perceived BBC bias, Salmond's resignation, and the George Square rammy. Thus, did Cosgrove remove himself because of lack of self-discipline, or has BBC Scotland removed him hors de combat? He may be damaged goods because of his interventions during the referendum build-up. We should be told.

If any Gersnetter has any information on Cosgrove's 'sailing extremely close to the wind', please share, I would be most grateful.

I had the misfortune to have to listen to OTB a couple of weeks ago (I was getting a lift so couldn't turn off the radio) and he was announcing that the new 101 number was being introduced to replce 999 which was being phased out. The reason he gave was that 101 was quicker to dial than 999.

Far be it from me to defend Cosgrove's honour but he's basically correct. It's not about the physical time it takes to push a digit 3 times or push 2 in close succession, it's the digital dialling and connection time that makes it quicker to dial 101 than 999. The former requires only 2 pulses and the latter requires 27.

He's still a dick of course.

Far be it from me to defend Cosgrove's honour but he's basically correct. It's not about the physical time it takes to push a digit 3 times or push 2 in close succession, it's the digital dialling and connection time that makes it quicker to dial 101 than 999. The former requires only 2 pulses and the latter requires 27.

He's still a dick of course.

call me cycnical, but I doubt whether he was thinking of that. But maybe he was, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Which just leves the small matter of 999 being phased out - anybody heard of this because it's sure as hell news to me?

A PS Divisional press release:

"If there is an emergency situation which requires immediate police attention, dial 999. For non-emergency contact, call 101, the single non-emergency number."

If you want the Fire Brigade, stick to 999.

A PS Divisional press release:

"If there is an emergency situation which requires immediate police attention, dial 999. For non-emergency contact, call 101, the single non-emergency number."

If you want the Fire Brigade, stick to 999.

So Cosgrove is spending the afternoon scratching his face, sniffing like a junkie into the microphone and telling people that 999 is about to be phased out when it is not. Which other presenter would be allowed to get away with this 3rd rate beahviour and still keep his job?