You'll be happy with the usual 4 clubs from England 3 from Germany Spain & Italy and none from Scotland then?

With us not in the SPL yes that sounds fine.

They should perhaps trial going back to the old 1 team per nation CL system although all you will end up with is a 2 tier CL dominated by the CL teams.

There is no point in Scottish teams participating in Europe.

The old firm are a disgrace in Europe. In fact let me refrain that. WE are (were) an utter disgrace in Europe, with our 5 at the back cowardly 3 wins in 23 games tactics. Celtic at least have a go and pick up the odd one. Though they're a train wreck too and hold the record for the lowest possession attained in a match in CL history.

PS - I quite liked the old CL, UEFA and Cup Winners Cup format though maybe that's just fond childhood memories....

You are obviously too young to remember the Europeans Champions Cup, big crowds great atmosphere for clubs fans involved in it, but you're happy to watch some other competition without real champions.

You should learn to understand what you read before jumping in feet first. I shall attempt to make it a bit simpler for you to comprehend.

Black and white tv programmes were popular in their day. Do you think that ITV should start making them again and ditch colour? If they did, what do you reckon the result would be?

Penny dropped?

I wonder if seeding should be done away with altogether. I enjoy the latter stages of the CL but give the group stage a miss unless Rangers are present and of course it'll be a long time before we're there again.

The old European Cup knock-out format sounds exciting and I don't think they had seeding back then. Big clubs could draw big clubs or even tiny clubs. Money would have been important in those days too, but it's into orbit now. It seems almost impossible for smaller countries to provide a winner.

Celtic, Ajax and Feyenoord were all able to triumph without bursting the bank. What chance a club from outside England, Germany, Spain, Italy or France winning the CL now? Porto did it a few years ago but would anyone predict a winner from outside the big five countries in the foreseeable future? I'm not sure that I would.

For much of our existence, we have had the advantage of being a big club. Now, though, in a European context, we are like a non-league club in the FA Cup. We're cannon fodder for the giants. Our aim is to make a few quid before being turfed out after parking the bus.

For the millions of fans who don't follow top teams in major leagues, we are left to pick one of the usual suspects in the CL and hope they win it. In the last few years I've been drawn to Barcelona and Bayern. In the next few years, I expect more people will be drawn to the elite European clubs, but perhaps on a more permanent basis.

From a Rangers point of view, it's all quite depressing.

You should learn to understand what you read before jumping in feet first. I shall attempt to make it a bit simpler for you to comprehend.

Black and white tv programmes were popular in their day. Do you think that ITV should start making them again and ditch colour? If they did, what do you reckon the result would be?

Penny dropped?

I bet you've not had the 'you're too young' retort recently eh partner ;).

I wonder if seeding should be done away with altogether. I enjoy the latter stages of the CL but give the group stage a miss unless Rangers are present and of course it'll be a long time before we're there again.

The old European Cup knock-out format sounds exciting and I don't think they had seeding back then. Big clubs could draw big clubs or even tiny clubs. Money would have been important in those days too, but it's into orbit now. It seems almost impossible for smaller countries to provide a winner.

Celtic, Ajax and Feyenoord were all able to triumph without bursting the bank. What chance a club from outside England, Germany, Spain, Italy or France winning the CL now? Porto did it a few years ago but would anyone predict a winner from outside the big five countries in the foreseeable future? I'm not sure that I would.

For much of our existence, we have had the advantage of being a big club. Now, though, in a European context, we are like a non-league club in the FA Cup. We're cannon fodder for the giants. Our aim is to make a few quid before being turfed out after parking the bus.

For the millions of fans who don't follow top teams in major leagues, we are left to pick one of the usual suspects in the CL and hope they win it. In the last few years I've been drawn to Barcelona and Bayern. In the next few years, I expect more people will be drawn to the elite European clubs, but perhaps on a more permanent basis.

From a Rangers point of view, it's all quite depressing.

Everything about the CL is geared up to nigh on guarantee that the biggest leagues fill the places in the latter stages. The introduction of FFP, heralded as a way to curb the big spenders, strengthens that even further. Only Portugal or Russia have an outside chance of toppling the big boys.

Agree with both the boys above , the C/L is nothing more than a cash cow for the big clubs to make evven more money , I hardly ever watch it now , same teams playing the same teams every year , very few upsets or surprises , bring back open draws , do away with seedings all together

Everything about the CL is geared up to nigh on guarantee that the biggest leagues fill the places in the latter stages. The introduction of FFP, heralded as a way to curb the big spenders, strengthens that even further. Only Portugal or Russia have an outside chance of toppling the big boys.

Indeed.

The CL is a tournament for large-nation Europe with small-nation Europe effectively permitted to participate as cannon fodder.

What surprises me is how small nations with big clubs have just let it happen. Holland, Portugal, Belgium and Scotland have just rolled over. For our clubs, a large wedge every now and then keeps us sweet, but that large wedge is getting harder and harder to get.

When we can't even get in to the big league any more, the future can only be a bleak one.

To give us a break from the usual boardroom speculation, let's imagine that the club finally exits this nightmare period and a semblance of normality breaks out.

What do we want from Rangers in Europe now? What kind of expectation do we have? Just qualifying for the CL group stage is a tall order these days and it's quite possible that there will be no CL anthem heard at Ibrox for years.

Where do we want Rangers to be? Are we prepared to accept European failure just as long as we have domestic success?

In the bigger European picture, where will a well-run Rangers fit in? Can you settle for Rangers being an easy draw for the European big guns or is your ambition for the club to be almost permanently at the European top table?

Can we live with being a European nonentity or is it essential that we find a way to compete with clubs which are currently miles ahead of us?

Glimpse the future - what do you think?