The only way we'll improve is what was called an "Atlantic League"....... Top clubs in smaller Euro leagues forming a new league can compete with EPL, Bundesliege, Serie A etc.

Uefa and Fifa have scuppered this so far but I think their grip on power is waining

To give us a break from the usual boardroom speculation, let's imagine that the club finally exits this nightmare period and a semblance of normality breaks out.

What do we want from Rangers in Europe now? What kind of expectation do we have? Just qualifying for the CL group stage is a tall order these days and it's quite possible that there will be no CL anthem heard at Ibrox for years.

Where do we want Rangers to be? Are we prepared to accept European failure just as long as we have domestic success?

In the bigger European picture, where will a well-run Rangers fit in? Can you settle for Rangers being an easy draw for the European big guns or is your ambition for the club to be almost permanently at the European top table?

Can we live with being a European nonentity or is it essential that we find a way to compete with clubs which are currently miles ahead of us?

Glimpse the future - what do you think?

Bar two successful seasons, we have been a nonentity in Europe for my entire life time. We have only won 3 matches in our last 23.

Not sure mate. Another article - Record I think - stated the top 7 leagues will see their champions qualify. Can't us being in the top 7 though a few decent result could propel us there.

Hardly. The top 7 leagues are Spain, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal, France and Russia. Scotland aren't even in the top 20.

To give us a break from the usual boardroom speculation, let's imagine that the club finally exits this nightmare period and a semblance of normality breaks out.

What do we want from Rangers in Europe now? What kind of expectation do we have? Just qualifying for the CL group stage is a tall order these days and it's quite possible that there will be no CL anthem heard at Ibrox for years.

Where do we want Rangers to be? Are we prepared to accept European failure just as long as we have domestic success?

In the bigger European picture, where will a well-run Rangers fit in? Can you settle for Rangers being an easy draw for the European big guns or is your ambition for the club to be almost permanently at the European top table?

Can we live with being a European nonentity or is it essential that we find a way to compete with clubs which are currently miles ahead of us?

Glimpse the future - what do you think?

We must be at the top table, we must be able to compete in one off matches against the best, we must have ambition and drive to succeed. We must have dreams of replicating Porto, Atletico, Ajax, Red Star etc etc otherwise we ain't Rangers anymore.

I certainly will never accept Rangers not competing in Europe or indeed being cannon fodder for the elite. We are the elite, maybe not financially but as a football club and family, we are special, or at least, we used to be.

The only way we'll improve is what was called an "Atlantic League"....... Top clubs in smaller Euro leagues forming a new league can compete with EPL, Bundesliege, Serie A etc.

Uefa and Fifa have scuppered this so far but I think their grip on power is waining

This is my view too.

Big clubs from small countries should be having regular meetings to get this on the road.

We must be at the top table, we must be able to compete in one off matches against the best, we must have ambition and drive to succeed. We must have dreams of replicating Porto, Atletico, Ajax, Red Star etc etc otherwise we ain't Rangers anymore.

I certainly will never accept Rangers not competing in Europe or indeed being cannon fodder for the elite. We are the elite, maybe not financially but as a football club and family, we are special, or at least, we used to be.

It's the top table for me too, but I fear that our ambition to mix it with the best is evaporating. To win again at a good level on the field, some major battles will have to be won off it.

Bar two successful seasons, we have been a nonentity in Europe for my entire life time. We have only won 3 matches in our last 23.

Is it even as much as that?

I looked this up thinking it can't be as bad as that, - it's worse - 3 wins in last 35??? but on a positive note, we only lost 14 of them :lol2:

I looked this up thinking it can't be as bad as that, - it's worse - 3 wins in last 35??? but on a positive note, we only lost 14 of them :lol2:

So in Europe, our last 35 games have resulted in 3 wins, 18 draws and 14 defeats. Although our games have nearly all been two-legged affairs, for a club that perceives itself to be major club, these figures are a disgrace.

Of course we can say that we reached a European final, but clubs like Gretna and Queen of the South sometimes reach finals and everyone knows that they are a rare event, just as it was for us.

It actually sums up the dreadful negative management that Rangers have endured for far too long where our only real tactic was playing not to lose.

We desperately need new management, but not more of the same. Our next manager must know how to get Rangers playing in a manner that will enthuse and excite fans. The cowardly play of the past has to be consigned to the history books.