Jump to content



Cash ‘n grab Whyte’s ‘plot’

Recommended Posts

Some meat on the bones of yesterday's court appearance...




CRAIG Whyte plotted a fraudulent takeover of Rangers for 18 months before sweeping into Ibrox, it is claimed.


Details of an alleged elaborate and wide-ranging scheme to take control of the club emerged in legal papers seen by The Scottish Sun.


Prosecutors say Whyte, 43, tricked three companies into handing him more than £22million — then told Sir David Murray, the Rangers board and Lloyds banking group the money was his.


Lawyer Gary Withey and administrators David Grier, Paul Clark and David Whitehouse are accused of being involved.


And they were confronted by fans who chanted “scumbags” amid chaotic scenes at Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday.


They appeared on fraud charges after dawn raids in England last week. A warrant has been issued for Whyte’s arrest.


He is said to have carried out complex transactions between January 2010 and February 2012 to convince Sir David he had the cash to buy Rangers.


It is alleged he told finance firm Ticketus that Murray knew he was using £18million from them for his takeover — while telling Sir David it was his cash.


Whyte is said to have had another £4million put into a client account held by London lawyers Collyer Bristow.


It’s claimed he pledged Rangers a £9.5million spending pot but failed to pay tax and took the club into administration.


And he’s accused of lying to Ticketus and the SFA about a directorship ban.


Menzies Corporate Restructuring bosses Whitehouse, 49, and Clark, 50, are accused of racking up £3million in fees after being appointed administrators.


Partner Grier, 53, is said to have told Rangers directors Whyte had enough cash to run the club in 2011.


Ex-Collyer Bristow partner Withey, 50, is accused of providing legal papers to say the money was Whyte’s.

Clark, Whitehouse and Grier allegedly told cops they didn’t know Whyte used Ticketus cash for the deal in an attempt to pervert the course of justice.


All four made no plea or declaration and were bailed.


There was a scrum as Grier, Whitehouse and Clark left court, with one photographer knocked to the floor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.