PAUL MURRAY has issued a rallying cry to Rangers supports, urging them to join his attempted boardroom coup.

The former director - who Dave King wants to be reappointed on the back of a planned EGM rout of the current regime - released a statement at lunchtime today revealing he has signed up with fan ownership groups, the Rangers Supporters Trust and Rangers First.

They currently own around a two per cent shareholding in the club and Murray has called upon fellow fans to sign up for the battle against the board and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley ahead of King’s shareholder showdown.

In his statement Murray said: “I have today taken out life membership of both the Rangers Supporters Trust and Rangers First. Whilst I would like to make special mention of the RST, who have supported our cause tirelessly over the past few years, I wish to make it known I fully support these two groups in their desire to help safeguard the future of our club.

"Along with many of the people who have been working behind the scenes to ensure Rangers can again function fully, both on and off the pitch, I believe the supporters should be able to participate significantly in the club’s rehabilitation.

"Dave King, John Gilligan and I are committed to introducing meaningful fan ownership and representation at the club and that is one of the reasons I have pledged my support to both groups. RST and Rangers First have bought not insignificant amounts of shares and must be recognised by those of us who are striving to remove the current Directors and begin the process of repairing the considerable damage caused by a constantly changing Boardroom.

"The club and not the needs of individuals must be put back to the top of the priority list and the supporters can help us achieve that goal. Rangers First and RST will always have the best interests of their club at heart and they deserve as much support as we can give.

"I would urge as many of this club’s fans to sign up to either one or both if possible. The fans can play a hugely significant part in forcing change through votes. They are the most loyal supporters any club could wish for but have been disregarded by a succession of directors in recent years, and I for one recognise their contribution in the struggle to end the disgrace and level of mismanagement within Ibrox."

Murray insists nothing will derail the fans in their bid to wrest control from the board.

He added: "There is now a demand for a general meeting and our fans can make a difference in that process, which hopefully will bring about the changes necessary. We have seen what happens when directors with no feel, no understanding and no real concern for Rangers are in control.

"In the lead-up to the general meeting the usual suspects will attempt to undermine our cause because they realise their days could be numbered. The truth is that for the first time in years there is a group of people capable of rebuilding and repairing our club and malicious speculation will not deflect us.

"Rangers have to re-engage with Scottish football and take our place again at the top table. We need to be financially stable again and accept our responsibilities to the game in general. Change will come and we can all emerge from a black period in this fantastic club’s history.”

Quite clever stuff actually.

Its a constant drip of good news from the RST and RF, as well as from 3B and Dave King.

The more prominent and wealth fans, ex-players, etc declare their support for change, and back this up with support for fan ownership vehicles, the greater the pressure grows on the current board. Furthermore, it increasingly isolates those who are opposed to change.

Quite clever stuff actually.

Its a constant drip of good news from the RST and RF, as well as from 3B and Dave King.

The more prominent and wealth fans, ex-players, etc declare their support for change, and back this up with support for fan ownership vehicles, the greater the pressure grows on the current board. Furthermore, it increasingly isolates those who are opposed to change.

Agreed - it's all about maintaining a trend.

Addressing supporter apathy and ensuring we take an active part in any EGM is vital over the next few weeks.