No more former players please.

That's an interesting point, I wonder how important that is. Struth, Whyte, Wallace, Souness, Smith, Advocaat, McLeish and Le Guen never pulled on the Light Blue. McCoist, Greig, Waddell and Symon did. At first glance you'd have to say the first group was considerably more successful than the second. However it would be wrong to place the reason for that firmly on who they played for. Whyte and Le Guen didn't exactly excel, likewise both Greig and Waddell it could be argued were victims of timing and circumstance. Also the greatest British manager of the last 50 years was a Rangers player, he just didn't manage us.

What ex-players are realistic candidates? Davies is often mentioned, Derek McInness too. Guys like Arveladze and Van Bronkhurst, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray and Steven Pressley and Davie Weir are still learning their trade, they might become great mangers, average ones or bad ones, time will tell.

At the other end of the spectrum you've got Jimmy Nicholl doing great things with Cowdenbeath, and the much travelled Bobby Williamson with untold experience and insight.

Yip, none of them is exactly filling me with anticipation either.

That's an interesting point, I wonder how important that is. Struth, Whyte, Wallace, Souness, Smith, Advocaat, McLeish and Le Guen never pulled on the Light Blue. McCoist, Greig, Waddell and Symon did. At first glance you'd have to say the first group was considerably more successful than the second. However it would be wrong to place the reason for that firmly on who they played for. Whyte and Le Guen didn't exactly excel, likewise both Greig and Waddell it could be argued were victims of timing and circumstance. Also the greatest British manager of the last 50 years was a Rangers player, he just didn't manage us.

What ex-players are realistic candidates? Davies is often mentioned, Derek McInness too. Guys like Arveladze and Van Bronkhurst, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray and Steven Pressley and Davie Weir are still learning their trade, they might become great mangers, average ones or bad ones, time will tell.

At the other end of the spectrum you've got Jimmy Nicholl doing great things with Cowdenbeath, and the much travelled Bobby Williamson with untold experience and insight.

Yip, none of them is exactly filling me with anticipation either.

Not the words I would use to describe Bobby Williamson.

I would happily give him to the end of the season.

He clearly still has a strong attachment to the club & has always said he would like to return. Offer him a wage in keeping with other clubs & see what his response is.

we cannot continue with McDOWALL who simply doesn't want to be there.

While the future of the club is at stake I'm hoping we don't fill the role permanently; I'd rather that happened after a takeover and an injection of cash together with a proper medium term plan that includes scouting and youth development.

The last thing we need is another mediocre assignment on a long term contract that will need paying off. It's also difficult to sack a manager who is pretty average and unexceptional without actually having really poor results - which is what I think we can expect from the usual suspects of Calderwood, Nichol, Williamson et al.

I'd rather wait for the takeover and then take time to find a reasonably exceptional coaching team - that obviously we can attract at our current level but also befits our aspirations and potential. While many baulk at the wages of McCoist and his back-room staff, it's the kind of level of wage we need to offer - presuming we can increase our revenues back to previous (but non CL) levels.