'Rangers team the worst in history': Ibrox legend Richard Gough

THE nine-in-a-row skipper never shirked a challenge as a player and refused to hold back on his assessment on the players who are following in his footsteps.

RICHARD GOUGH has labelled the current Rangers team the worst in history and fears for the very existence of the club if Dave King fails to

gain control.

The nine-in-a-row skipper never shirked a challenge as a player and refused to hold back on his assessment on the players who are following in his footsteps.

His comments will make uncomfortable reading for close pal Ally McCoist, who has assembled the current group, although Gough suggested their shortcomings are being exposed by chaos behind the scenes as much as their own professional limitations.

Gough’s emotions were split between pride and dismay when he heard Rangers fans bellow their defiance as the team went down 2-0 to Celtic at Hampden in the League Cup semi-final.

He reckons two decades ago they would have booed him and his team-mates off the park – and rightly so – had they gone down so tamely to their arch rivals.

However, Celtic fans shouldn’t take too much comfort from Gough’s assessment as he reckons Ronny Deila’s current charges might just also be the worst Hoops side he has ever seen.

Gough, a close pal of King, said: “We are bang in trouble if Dave doesn’t win the day.

“I would fear for the club. In a lot of ways, it is the last chance to save it. I might be completely wrong but I just look at the evidence of the last three or four years and it’s getting worse.

“I’ve watched Rangers since the late seventies and I know about the teams before then from my father and grandfather. This team at the moment is probably the worst Rangers team that’s ever played for the club.

“It’s not their fault, it’s the circumstances at the club. It could also be the worst Celtic team I’ve ever seen, to be fair. That’s the standard right now.

“I didn’t go to Hampden on Sunday. I didn’t want to. But what struck me from watching on TV was the Rangers support. They were unbelievable because they were watching a poor team being completely outplayed by Celtic, who were far better in every position. However, the Rangers fans remained very vocal in their support. That saddened me in a way because I knew if that had been our team who had been 2-0 down and were being played off the park by Celtic, we would have been hammered. The support would have walked out.

“However, the supporters know the current team doesn’t have the necessary quality. I just hope Dave can gain control because it will be better for those supporters again.

“It’s going to be a long process, it’s not going to be a quick fix. What has happened in the last three years had drained the resources. By all accounts, Murray Park and Ibrox need £10million spent on them.

“It will take a while to get the club back to how it should be. If Dave gets in and the Three Bears also invest, the club will be able to get other money from elsewhere, maybe from investors such as Robert Sarver.

“For now, the worry is that the current team might not even get into the Premiership next season. I’ve watched every game and it looks as if Hearts will win the Championship. It’s not even a given Rangers would get through a play-off against Hibs.”

Gough has not ruled out a return to Rangers if King takes control and decides his skills can be utilised in and around Murray Park, but for now he is happy to play a supporting role to the Johannesburg-based tycoon, a long time family friend.

He also insists the SFA have been harsh enough on Rangers these last few years without denying King the opportunity to take up a position as director under their ‘fit and proper person’ guidelines.

He added: “I would help the club in any way possible. If Dave wanted me to do something, I would do it. I just really hope he wins the day at the general meeting, then let’s take it from there.

“The SFA should not put any blocks on Dave’s involvement. When I look at the SFA, I wonder if they could have done more to protect Rangers who, after all, are one of their main assets.

“Rangers in the Third Division has had a huge effect on Scottish football over the last three years.

“When Dave asked me to back him a while back, I thought it was the right thing to do. It’s pretty evident, with what has happened since then, that it is the right thing.

“Dave and the people on board with him all have Rangers at heart. It’s pretty evident the people who have been in charge for the last few years have not been in it for Rangers.

“The club is in as bad a state as I’ve ever seen it.

“I’m not sure the supporters actually know how bad it is. It has changed, it’s unrecognisable from what it was 10 years ago.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-team-worst-history-ibrox-5114172

Come on, this is again a statement from the ministry of the bleedin' obvious. If there is a worse Rangers team than the last few years then they are as shameful as it gets - as none have been born out of anything like the

current omnishambles. It's a no-brainer and means nothing.

It's like having a broken leg and getting slagged off for playing with a cast and being told you're rubbish. I've had the best player by miles at my work in my departmental team, but coming back from injury he was far less valuable to the team than I was - and fully fit we were comparatively like Del Piero and Clelland.

The team are under performing massively but comparing them with teams that didn't have our current problems is completely meaningless.