Rangers Face Song Probe

With equal respect, I didn't mention the club, I mentioned the morons amongst the fans. Although to be fair to them, they are probably the equivalent of the board on the terraces. Quite the achievement.

The argument, to be kind to it, that we need to view this in the round and that if other people can get away with being morons means we should be able to do it too, is beyond anything I can process. Does it not matter that Rangers will be the body that suffers, whether via punishment or reputationally?

Whatever excuse is trotted out is just a form of denial, when what's needed is honest, mature facing up to an issue and dealing with it. Easier said than done, but a lot better than whining about other fans, as if that makes it all right.

I agree we shouldn't be singing these songs given the cirumstances but is it your wish that all clubs have supporters who never sing any unsavoury, potentially offensive songs?

With equal respect, I didn't mention the club, I mentioned the morons amongst the fans. Although to be fair to them, they are probably the equivalent of the board on the terraces. Quite the achievement.

The argument, to be kind to it, that we need to view this in the round and that if other people can get away with being morons means we should be able to do it too, is beyond anything I can process. Does it not matter that Rangers will be the body that suffers, whether via punishment or reputationally?

Whatever excuse is trotted out is just a form of denial, when what's needed is honest, mature facing up to an issue and dealing with it. Easier said than done, but a lot better than whining about other fans, as if that makes it all right.

I doubt that there are that many out there who suddenly jumped on the "freedom of speech" bandwaggon in defence of Loyalist tradition or heritage. Most will have done it because there is a clear bias thrown into our faces. Likewise I would assume that many would drop TBB or FTP from the grounds if the whole matter is being done one an even basis. As long as that is not happening, our people will disrespect the rules, much like anyone else does. That's not good, but no "excuse" for such behaviour either. This particular fish is rotting from the head ...

was not at the game so unsure myself but were the banned lines sung? Or is this just the usual jumping to conclusions?

TBB was quite audible on at least one occasion. And it does not matter what lines were sung, we've been told to ditch the song altogether. Don't question me about the whys and whether that is reasonable (while e.g. Killie folk can sing their version), it is the rules for that particular song and us. You would have to reason with UEFA, the SFA and SPFL, since they are responsible.

TBB was quite audible on at least one occasion. And it does not matter what lines were sung, we've been told to ditch the song altogether. Don't question me about the whys and whether that is reasonable (while e.g. Killie folk can sing their version), it is the rules for that particular song and us. You would have to reason with UEFA, the SFA and SPFL, since they are responsible.

got a link for this

A wee reminder ...

SPFL cannot sanction clubs for sectarian chants

SPFL chiefs claim they are powerless to punish Celtic and Rangers for sectarian singing and other unacceptable behaviour at the League Cup semi-final.

Published: 22:18, Mon, February 16, 2015

The Old Firm derby at Hampden on February 1 was marred by mass sectarian chanting – predominantly, but not exclusively, from the Light Blues support.

In the Celtic end of the stadium, flares were let off as well as a banner mockingly using the First World War’s Ode of Remembrance to taunt the Ibrox club.

Police Scotland made 12 arrests for sectarian behaviour around the match, which the Hoops won 2-0.

Despite thousands of fans breaching behaviour codes and the Scottish government’s anti-bigotry legislation, the SPFL insists no action can be taken because both clubs took the precautions that were expected ahead of the game and could not be held liable for their fans’ actions.

An SPFL spokesman said: “Official reports from the match are still awaited. However, it is clear from information already received that all parties prepared properly and thoroughly for the match and, to date, we have not seen any evidence of any breach of SPFL rules by either club.”

Talks have already been held with police and referee Craig Thomson’s match report has been filed. But the league body has still to receive the final report from the stadium safety officer.

SPFL chiefs know they will be accused of sweeping the issue under the carpet by stating that once the clubs have tried to prevent unruly behaviour the matter then becomes an issue solely for the police and stewards.

Police sources have argued that it is impossible to apply the law when so many people are involved in chanting or demonstrations in a stadium environment.

In contrast to UEFA statutes which can see clubs punished for offensive chanting or messaging at games, SPFL rules are not as far-reaching.

They have 21 pointers for clubs to adhere to in the build-up to games, but if these are followed then the club cannot be held responsible for the actions of punters.

And as fans from both sides took umbrage at the lack of action towards their rivals, the SPFL maintained neither club could be held accountable.

In recent years, UEFA have punished Celtic for pyrotechnics, banners and offensive chanting, with the club hit by increasing fines and warned about potential closed-door games if behaviour did not improve.

The lack of such powers in Scottish football leaves the governing body open to criticism for doing nothing to clean up the image of the game.

Meanwhile, the silence of the clubs – who in the past have spoken out against the sort of behaviour witnessed at Hampden earlier this month – does them no credit when the game was held up as a showpiece of the Scottish football calendar and beamed to millions across the globe.

Express

the song is not banned only the line as far as I am aware. You cannot ban something that does not contravene any law or rule.

got a link for this

Well, you can chase it via google (TBB, incarnation, banned), Bluedell once wrote I've seen the relevant part of the letter that the club say came from UEFA.

It was discussed on here before:

On a sidenote .. from the days when I was not a yet a member of this very board: Rangers support ordered to axe Billy Boys (<- click). The letter from UEFA were shown to supporters club leaders at the time. Methinks what concerned them more was the FTP add-ons elsewhere, something which annoyed the Austrian (arch-Catholic) UEFA delegate, who challenged UEFA itself to push through his own sectarian agenda. For at the end of the day, TBB much like FTP are nothing more than cynical football banter to 95% of the Rangers support.

Rangers Ordered To Axe Billy Boys

I doubt that there are that many out there who suddenly jumped on the "freedom of speech" bandwaggon in defence of Loyalist tradition or heritage. Most will have done it because there is a clear bias thrown into our faces. Likewise I would assume that many would drop TBB or FTP from the grounds if the whole matter is being done one an even basis. As long as that is not happening, our people will disrespect the rules, much like anyone else does. That's not good, but no "excuse" for such behaviour either. This particular fish is rotting from the head ...

I mean no personal insult, but that argument is complete rubbish. You give our fellow fans way too much credit: the people who continually, repeatedly and interminably drag our club down will do so regardless of any other fans, because they are stupid. I can't see any benefit in stepping cautiously - these are morons, end of.

No attempt to explain, justify or understand it will work because it has no logical or intellectual basis which can be explained- it is stupidity and nothing more.

Defending our traditions? Helping destroy our club, more like. No wonder these kind of Bears got on so well with Craig Whyte. And their accomplices, those who would deflect onto whines about whether everyone is treated equally...in the first place, that doesn't excuse it and bringing it up reeks of deflection, and in any case the world isn't like that. Treated equally! What a joke. So, once we have a Utopian society, some of our fans will finally STFU, will they?

Haters of Rangers must be delighted with such a poor attempt to avoid facing up to the issue, gleefully clapping their hands at the thought of us keeping on not just shooting ourselves in the foot, but firing a dirty great bazooka into both of our trotters, over & over again until we don't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by andy steel