Main Gersnet site brainstorming...

Guys,

It's been almost three years since I last re-designed the main site at gersnet.co.uk and I'd like to come up with something new over the coming months and really try and update it more regularly - not so much just in terms of the quality in-depth articles we already feature which I appreciate take time and effort but helping cover the daily news and perhaps having more regular (and perhaps less in-depth) commentary.

Now, to do this would mean more bodies involved in the process - not only in terms of providing content but actually being prepared to spend time on the site itself. Using a CMS system makes it easier in that sense and it doesn't take any special computing/technical knowledge to work on articles.

As such, does anyone know of people that would like to take part? Is there anyone we should be contacting? What content should we have? How can we attract more viewers? What functionality should we use? Am I wasting my time?

For example, could we have a Gersnet podcast or Skype/Google Hangouts based phone in (perhaps on a monthly basis)? Should we have more tactical/stat analysis of games (e.g. Celtic have a good site on that - TicTactic)? What about player ratings and/or scouting of other club's matches? Could we have some investor information/city/financial reports? What about a daily/weekly blog from people?

Just thought I'd open up the discussion here before moving to social media and a main site article inviting contributors. If you'd like to get involved and become part of the team, please let us know. Zappa, blueflag and I will help with any advice you need!

Looking forward to your comments - good and bad!

I'd love to help out and contribute a bit more and I'll have a think about how I can do this. My main issue is that I'm pulled pillar to post with work and don't know where I'll be from one week to the next so eg. committing to a weekly podcast/audio edition would be a waste of everybody's time.

In terms of content, I'd suggest a regular round up of the weeks news in one article would be a good idea and this could be quite a fun section. A kind of Have I Got News For You style look back at everything that's gone on. There'll be some good stories to come as the new board uncover the extent of the looting and there will be big changes on the coaching and playing side so I don't think there'd be a shortage of stuff to talk or write about.

Always happy to help where I can.

Not sure if its feasible or if has been tried out before and didnt work out, but for the actual forum rather than main page, I would quite like a chat section. Ive seen it on some other forums and it has been quite well received.

By chat section I mean sort of like a messenger thing on the Forum main page just for people to shoot the breeze and have a chat about the day. Can keep out spammers and mischevious other fans by putting a post cap on it. Just a thought.

With regards to the main site, I will also have a think about it but would be happy to help with running anything also. I mean background/maintenance contribution stuff rather than hosting a podcast, not my bag. :D

Edited by Laudbertz

We've tried the chat stuff once or twice over the years but usually found it doesn't work that well - both in terms of managing it and the fact it takes up a lot of resources.

not sure I could bring anything, however I like the archive part on the main site, I have a few old photos and team photos I'm sure I could upload.

I did a lot of stuff for Rangerspedia ( now sadly defunct) creating pages, uploading pictures etc. don't know if this would be helpful or not.

not sure I could bring anything, however I like the archive part on the main site, I have a few old photos and team photos I'm sure I could upload.

I did a lot of stuff for Rangerspedia ( now sadly defunct) creating pages, uploading pictures etc. don't know if this would be helpful or not.

That would be very useful mate.

I love the Archive part of the site but it could definitely do with some TLC. We're also looking to upgrade it over the coming months so filling in content etc would be really helpful.

I'll be in touch then. :)

Just keep things as they are. I hate the way the BBC keep changing their website and I don't want to have to navigate round a Gersnet when I've only just got used to the current one. Miserable old git loyal!

It's a fair point mate but the main reason for changing is to ensure the software's security.

The main site is (slightly) out of date with respect to Joomla's latest version and while that's not a huge issue (I can migrate the template to the latest version easily enough) we're always looking for ways to improve the design and experience.

In any case, we should have a demo/beta version of the new site on the go over the next month or so which will enable us to canvass opinion on whether we should move to something new.

In terms of content, I'd suggest a regular round up of the weeks news in one article would be a good idea and this could be quite a fun section. A kind of Have I Got News For You style look back at everything that's gone on.

A round-up of current affairs is something which quite often features in match previews, but there's absolutely no reason we couldn't have a regular or semi-regular news round-up column, so I like that idea!