Chris Graham Twitter problem

The difference is that unlike so much media mud flung at Rangers the charge appears solid. A 38 year old man thought it fine to post such an image three months ago, and the same man is now a director at Rangers. If we've fought to get rid of Easdale only to leave the bar at about the same level you have to ask, what was the point?

Ah well, it was two months ago. Not sure what the Statute of Limitations is in Berlin but I'd guess that if there is one it's slightly longer than 8 weeks. I'd be astonished if the club were crass enough to countenance this.

At the time he was a freelancer talking to someone else essentially "in private". Was he harbouring any ideas to become a Rangers director at the time and that he'd come under media scrutiny like a politician? The same media who to this day cover up (i.e. does not speak about) what happened at the Yahoos' boys club, with Saville et al? Who employ chaps who openly gave us sectarian names? Without any repercussions or tangible effects? Do we bow to the same double-standards again?

At best, Chris should come up and apologize for this, as it was indeed tasteless. But there we should draw a line.

EDIT: simplythebest ... how short were the bets that you would be the one posting the Herald front page?

Edited by der Berliner

Because it will be seen, rightly, as offensive to every Muslim Rangers supporter; because it will seen, rightly, as casually derogatory to ward homosexual Rangers supporters; because it could conceivably have dire security implications for the stadium; and because it is conduct unbefitting the office.

Although that last seems to have been devalued to the nth degree anyway.

If I can take your points in reverse order, first I'd begin by saying that defending freedom of expression is conduct very much befitting an Ibrox office holder. Neither Muslims nor anyone else have the right not to be offended. I don't need to point out that he wasn't an office holder at the time he made the tweet and so he cannot be said to have acted in a way that brings disrespect to the office.

Second, as to the security implications, that's a concern obviously - but are we to sacrifice good people at the whif of any controversy just so that we don't annoy people whose raison d'etre is to be annoyed? Should we live out lives quietly so that we don't awaken the mad dogs?

Third, I fail to see how portraying the sex act is in any way derogatory to homosexuals. Neither the act nor those who practice it were being attacked or maligned. It may be seen by some, obviously yourself, as being derogatory but you're wrong to suggest that seeing is thus is to see it "rightly".

Finally, it will have been offensive to every true Muslim and that is unfortunate; but it was not a gratuitous, casual offense. It was done for a particular reason and with a particular target in mind.

I bow to no man in my hand-wringy, tree-huggy, homophile, anti-Muslim-bigotry, nationalist, left-wingyness and on this issue, yer tea's oot, Steel.

Coming to think of it, Andy and simplythebest, it is indeed the media who bring willingly and purposefully - as they follow their own agenda - this to the attention of all the undesirables in the public and make sure that any half-wit knows it, months after it occured. They indeed may raise the issue to a level it does not warrant and also endanger the public and Chris in doing so. Always claiming that it is their right and freedom to inform. A.k.a. BURN THE WITCH!

Edited by der Berliner

Herald headline could say 'Rangers director shows support for victims of Charlie Hebdo massacre'

'Rangers director stands up against hate preacher ....'

Perhaps the club should be asking the Herald these questions and whether it has the balls to publish cartoons and fight fascism/ terrorism/ fight for freedom of speech ???

Fuck the Herald, Je suis Charlie Hebdo

Edited by BlueSolace

Well, we'll see what happens. Bit of a red line for me, though.

I understand where you're coming from bud, and it was a stupid thing for him to 'tweet'. There were alot of pissed off people in the aftermath of that massacre, but absolutely everyone I spoke to was directing their anger at these killers because of what they did, not their beliefs or ethnicity. I am sure there were some idiots out there who tarred the muslim community with the same brush but I dont believe CG to be one of them.

Its just annoying that Rangers are constantly the whipping boys. Im sure they knew about this when it happened, but they just sat on it and bided their time. A line has to be drawn in the sand. Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow what the board are going to do.

Herald headline could say 'Rangers director shows support for victims of Charlie Hebdo massacre'

'Rangers director stands up against hate preacher ....'

Perhaps the club should be asking the Herald these questions and whether it has the balls to publish cartoons and fight fascism/ terrorism/ fight for freedom of speech ???

Fuck the Herald, Je suis Charlie Hebdo

Perhaps to defuse the situation it might be helpful for Chris Graham to apologise if anyone was offended by his tweet and state that it was sent as an immediate reaction to the atrocities in Paris.

Personally, I think, given the public nature of twitter, that it was not the smartest of tweets to send and given the media attention it has received it would not surprise me if his other tweets are subject to scrutiny.

Its just annoying that Rangers are constantly the whipping boys. Im sure they knew about this when it happened, but they just sat on it and bided their time. A line has to be drawn in the sand. Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow what the board are going to do.

Can't agree with that mate, social media is full of needless bullshit. The reason it has been brought up is because he now has a position in a very important establishment. I'd imagine DK will be punching himself right now.