Football fans to be given legal right to buy their clubs...

What happens if the fans own a club and its in dire financial trouble who is going to save it fan participation yes ownership I don't think any of us has that know how

There are no guarantees no matter who owns a club.

That's life.

Edited by Hildy

I'm sure that there are many reasons to be sceptical about this news.

My initial reaction is to wonder how often it will actually be of use. If a supporters trust is not in a position to buy a club then it is of no use. If a supporters trust is in a position to buy a club then it should/will buy it anyway.

I imagine that the most likely consequence of this bill would be to distort the market and make other investors think twice.

The key is for supporters to realise the importance of fan ownership. That's, apparently, a difficult lesson for people to learn and the pretence that the government is making fan ownership happen may not help.

I'm sure that there are many reasons to be sceptical about this news.

My initial reaction is to wonder how often it will actually be of use. If a supporters trust is not in a position to buy a club then it is of no use. If a supporters trust is in a position to buy a club then it should/will buy it anyway.

I imagine that the most likely consequence of this bill would be to distort the market and make other investors think twice.

The key is for supporters to realise the importance of fan ownership. That's, apparently, a difficult lesson for people to learn and the pretence that the government is making fan ownership happen may not help.

You are correct that giving trusts the legal right to buy does indeed cause a lot of difficulties not the least of which is market distortion but the SG do recognise the issue which is why they were prepared to fund SDS to help provide a safety net.

If the SFA are against it, im all for it... thats the stance I take against that shower these days. Couldnt possibly comment on the financial structure of them, and not comparing our situation to them in a million years, but Barcelona and Real Madrid seem to get by with fan ownership involved in the process.

If the SFA are against it, im all for it... thats the stance I take against that shower these days. Couldnt possibly comment on the financial structure of them, and not comparing our situation to them in a million years, but Barcelona and Real Madrid seem to get by with fan ownership involved in the process.

The SFA will be against it that's for sure, they represent the interests of the current club owners.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

At first I thought this would be a good idea for clubs to get more fan ownership, or at least the chance to buy if the club is for sale.

Then I read the article that Celtic (i.e. the SFA/SPFL) are against it and that made me pretty much certain that this must be a good thing. The only thing making me worry about this is the fact it was brought up in our kiddy-on parliament in Edinburgh by the Greens, which nothing good has ever come out of.

Is it a case of even a broken clock is right twice a day and the parliament has actually done something good for a change, or have the SFA/SPFL finally got something right this time after their "extensive consultations" and this is the wrong way to go?

Fan ownership should be encouraged but dictating who current owners should sell to does not seem the way to go.

Fan ownership may not always be the way to go. Look at what the owners of Man City have done with their developments and investment in the club. Would all that be lost?

It's good that it's been brought to the table but the first solution may not be the best one.