John Guidetti: Charged by SFA

so, let me get this right; a Swedish man, of Italian heritage speaking to a Dutch TV station is being charged for using Irish history to insult a Scottish football team whilst on loan from the English champions.

Is that about it? Have I missed anything?

Exactly. I doubt whether the guy knew what he was saying. The way some are going on about it you'd think he had murdered a Rangers fan.

Exactly. I doubt whether the guy knew what he was saying. The way some are going on about it you'd think he had murdered a Rangers fan.

As you often do during such debates you seem to miss the point.

Let's examine the issue sensibly:

1. I agree there's an element of reasonable doubt about what Guidetti meant when he used the word. For that, I doubt I'd be wanting the police to waste their time investigating.

2. Nevertheless, neither the player nor his club have attempted to easily quash the issue via offering a simple apology. Instead Celtic FC express surprise that one of their players using this term or slagging off a member club (which is against football rules) is being brought to book.

3. As a result of this reaction, many Celtic fans - tens of thousands in fact - will continue to use this term and chant. Again, it may be difficult to determine if they are using it merely offensively or in a sectarian fashion but the provocative nature of the usage will mean some of our fans will react - most probably in a negative way.

The outcome: perpetuating further tension which tragically does occasionally result in assault, serious injury and death. See the last Old Firm game where a child was bottled and a man almost kicked to death outside a Glasgow pub.

But, hey, we're over-reacting and our resident copper doesn't see a problem with fans being jailed for singing such songs while football players get off Scot free.

Again, there's has to be context but most importantly, there has to be fairness, balance and a will to remove crap like this.

As you often do during such debates you seem to miss the point.

Let's examine the issue sensibly:

1. I agree there's an element of reasonable doubt about what Guidetti meant when he used the word. For that, I doubt I'd be wanting the police to waste their time investigating.

2. Nevertheless, neither the player nor his club have attempted to easily quash the issue via offering a simple apology. Instead Celtic FC express surprise that one of their players using this term or slagging off a member club (which is against football rules) is being brought to book.

3. As a result of this reaction, many Celtic fans - tens of thousands in fact - will continue to use this term and chant. Again, it may be difficult to determine if they are using it merely offensively or in a sectarian fashion but the provocative nature of the usage will mean some of our fans will react - most probably in a negative way.

The outcome: perpetuating further tension which tragically does occasionally result in assault, serious injury and death. See the last Old Firm game where a child was bottled and a man almost kicked to death outside a Glasgow pub.

But, hey, we're over-reacting and our resident copper doesn't see a problem with fans being jailed for singing such songs while football players get off Scot free.

Again, there's has to be context but most importantly, there has to be fairness, balance and a will to remove crap like this.

I get the point but just don't see why we're getting all offended about it.

Crap like that will never be removed from the game, not that I'm saying the authorities shouldn't try but they're pissing against the wind.

I'm not offended by the word "Hun". It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Just like the word "f*nian" probably doesn't bother the majority of Celtic fans but any opportunity to get one over on their rivals has to be taken. The pettiness and tit for tat attitude between both sets of old firm fans is embarrassing.

I don't inderstand how you've arrived at the conclusion that I "don't care about fans being jailed".

I wouldn't jail them at all if t was there first offence. X amount of pre cons would change that though.

I agree that Celtic should've come out and apologised but are we surprised they never?

There's far more important things in life to worry about.

Edited by Gazza_8

I get the point but just don't see why we're getting all offended about it.

Crap like that will never be removed from the game, not that I'm saying the authorities shouldn't try but they're pissing against the wind.

I'm not offended by the word "Hun". It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Just like the word "f*nian" probably doesn't bother the majority of Celtic fans but any opportunity to get one over on their rivals has to be taken. The pettiness and tit for tat attitude between both sets of old firm fans is embarrassing.

I don't inderstand how you've arrived at the conclusion that I "don't care about fans being jailed".

I wouldn't jail them at all if t was there first offence. X amount of pre cons would change that though.

I agree that Celtic should've come out and apologised but are we surprised they never?

There's far more important things in life to worry about.

I think it's about consistency for most of us.

Imagine the same situation but with Guidetti and the H word, replaced by Vuckic (for example) and the F word. Do you think we'd have been allowed to dismiss it and let it blow over?

I'm not offended by anything Guidetti did, but I am offended by the idea that Celtic should get away with something we'd get lambasted for.

While you're maybe being a bit harsh on Gazza8, you've identified the only issue worth bothering about here; it's not Guidetti singing a song, the meaning of which is unknown to him, it's the behaviour and hypocrisy of Celtic FC in attempting, yet again, to deflect, deny and avoid.

This behaviour follows a pattern. No matter what the charge, either to player, club or fans, they will fight it and attempt to bully their way out of it if possible. They are the biggest club in the top flight and they have the resources to throw at any charge against them - or indeed anyone who displeases them. This makes it an unappealling prospect for the authorities in Scotland to bring them to task on anything.

I think it's fairly instructive that UEFA, for whom Celtic are a piddling minnow, hammer them time after time, whereas in Scotland nothing happens to them for the same offenses.

Imagine the same situation but with Guidetti and the H word, replaced by Vuckic (for example) and the F word. Do you think we'd have been allowed to dismiss it and let it blow over?

When Rangers employees use offensive language they either resign, are fined and/or are forced to make a public apology.

I think it's about consistency for most of us.

I'm not offended by anything Guidetti did, but I am offended by the idea that Celtic should get away with something we'd get lambasted for.

But they haven't got away with it. Yet we're still going on about it.

But they haven't got away with it. Yet we're still going on about it.

There is no doubt in my mind the 'hun' part of the charge will be found not proven (or ignored) and as Lunny suggested on the radio the other day, the player only warned (or possibly fined) for insulting another member club. Celtic's actions won't come into it.

Afterwards, their fans will continue to sing the same song and use the term generally with impunity while the media downplay the sectarian connotations.

Meanwhile, Rangers fans will continue to be arrested for singing about fen!ans.

There is no doubt in my mind the 'hun' part of the charge will be found not proven (or ignored) and as Lunny suggested on the radio the other day, the player only warned (or possibly fined) for insulting another member club. Celtic's actions won't come into it.

Afterwards, their fans will continue to sing the same song and use the term generally with impunity while the media downplay the sectarian connotations.

Meanwhile, Rangers fans will continue to be arrested for singing about fen!ans.

Any Rangers fan who's arrested for singing the "f*nian" word deserves to be arrested. There's no excuse.

Have there been no arrests of Celtic fans for singing/saying "Hun"? If the Courts and NBM say it is sectarian, why is it still so widely used and accepted?

Edited by Gazza_8