RST Statement on Sectarian Language

I appreciate that you try to strike a balance in all your posts but I am very surprised to find you defending this unacceptable behaviour for any reason.

Furthermore, I disagree that it has crept back in because of double standards.

I didn't hear anyone singing or otherwise referring to Guidetti at Easter Road.

All I heard was some mindless idiots shouting FTP for no apparent reason as well as singing about f***** blood.

I would be far happier if a person such as yourself who is in a position to influence others simply came out with a clear condemnation of such actions rather than trying to justify them on the grounds of what others do and lack of action against them by the authorities. That is no excuse for misbehaviour by our fans in my book.

I'm not defending it - I'm explaining why it has returned. The song wasn't heard for years and still isn't heard other than in very small pockets; outside of two matches in the last 2-3 years - one against Celtic last month and one against Queens Park at Hampden where larger numbers of fans joined in with those misguided enough to risk arrest.

Now, when it comes to any song or chant clearly there's a context to discuss before we decide whether or not Joe Bloggs is a bigot. For example, I'd say it's impossible to second guess whether someone means catholic when they use ****** or protestant when they use hun. That's why the law is so poor. However, neither is any term acceptable in my view which is why I've consistently said such songs (or at least the terms used) should go. I've done more than my fair share on that score given I was on the Trust board at the time of the initial UEFA censure and subsequent self-policing.

Finally you mention balance. I sincerely hope you showed more of it when you discussed the issue in your various roles. If not, it's no surprise we remain on the back foot now while other clubs, fans and their players apparently have carte blanche to sing what they want. Arguing about how we must be beyond reproach before criticising others just doesn't wash.

PS: You'll note the censorship of the word fen!an on this forum. That's been in place since 2006 so I don't think I can be clearer on whether or not I think certain terms are appropriate in a Rangers supporting context.

Well the add-ons need to be stopped and in the cold light of day singing/chanting FTP is fairly moronic nevermind sectarian.

The Billy Boys is a difficult much rather we could remove the f***** word and find an acceptable alternative.

As for the criminalisation of fans for singing such offensive tunes much rather see a mandatory official warning or caution before an arrest. I find it hard to accept people being criminalised and perhaps jailed for songs I have sung in the past. And the vast majority sing them for atmosphere/anti-celtic reasons and not out of sectarian hatred.