Daily Record back page

Referee error debate rumbles on

21/04/15 2:07pm

Chris Sutton and Walter Smith give their thoughts on referee Steve McLean missing a blatant handball during Inverness CT's Scottish Cup win over Celtic.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/9816219/referee-error-debate-rumbles-on

Walter is spot on.

Are the Laws of the Game specific about the actions of a goalkeeper when he deliberately punches the back of an opponent's head within said goalkeeper's 18-yard box, whether his eyes are closed or not?

Should the Compliance Officer issue the C1888c goalkeeper with a notice of complaint?

My God what is happening to the game of football?

There is nothing wrong with the game of football.

The problem we have is the SFA compliance officer who selects some offences to punish the individuals concerned and ignores others. He is inconsistent and not fit for purpose.He is behaving like an aggrieved yahoo who is seeking vengeance.

Edited by RANGERRAB

They wouldn't make it as goal keeper!,most keepers would struggle to get their hands on that,Meekins has already said it wasn't deliberate!,so now he is also a liar and a cheat?, this would never be an issue with any other club,they have history in getting clarification,they should be dealt with for bringing the game into disrepute,again!,but most likely is the referees career will probably be over,again they have history of this.

Looking at it a few more times I'm not convinced that he had his arm up before he went to head the ball anyway, I think he may have brought his arm up in the split second he realised he was missing the header.

Whatever way you look at it it was a penalty and he got away with it on the park and it would have had a significant bearing on the result penalty and an ordering off; so I don't think he can complain about the notice of complaint. He'll be found guilty IMHO and get a one match ban.

It may be tough but it's arguable that if he had not handled the ball his team might not be in the final and if it had been dealt with on the field then he would have missed the final anyway.

Celtic were right about McDonald and his linesman but this is quite different and they are wrong to pursue it because that just makes the notice of complaint look like cause and effect.

Can you not do things deliberately with your eyes closed?

Does that mean that blind people never do anything deliberately, like cross the street?

Deliberately make a save with your eyes closed. I've been goalkeeping all wrong for decades.

Behave

The Laws of the Game are specific on this issue.

It can only be a foul or penalty if the player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"; however what constitutes deliberate is not specified but this article is useful guidance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4524354.stm

Then it's not even a penalty.

Looking at it a few more times I'm not convinced that he had his arm up before he went to head the ball anyway, I think he may have brought his arm up in the split second he realised he was missing the header.

Whatever way you look at it it was a penalty and he got away with it on the park and it would have had a significant bearing on the result penalty and an ordering off; so I don't think he can complain about the notice of complaint. He'll be found guilty IMHO and get a one match ban.

It may be tough but it's arguable that if he had not handled the ball his team might not be in the final and if it had been dealt with on the field then he would have missed the final anyway.

Celtic were right about McDonald and his linesman but this is quite different and they are wrong to pursue it because that just makes the notice of complaint look like cause and effect.

Until such times as Tony McGlennan issues a notice of complaint to Lukasz Zaluska for his punch to the back of the head of Edward Ofere, then I think Josh Meekins has every right to be aggrieved at the policies of an inconsistent compliance officer, or should that be a pressured compliance officer. I think that he, Meekins, and his team have every right to complain about the decision.

That is purely argumentative and cannot be backed up by fact.

Until such times as Tony McGlennan issues a notice of complaint to Lukasz Zaluska for his punch to the back of the head of Edward Ofere, then I think Josh Meekins has every right to be aggrieved at the policies of an inconsistent compliance officer, or should that be a pressured compliance officer. I think that he, Meekins, and his team have every right to complain about the decision.

That is purely argumentative and cannot be backed up by fact.

I agree it's argumentative but if Zaluska is not charged that doesn't mean Meekings is wrongly charged; I'm sure that deep down you would agree with that.

Are the Laws of the Game specific about the actions of a goalkeeper when he deliberately punches the back of an opponent's head within said goalkeeper's 18-yard box, whether his eyes are closed or not?

Should the Compliance Officer issue the C1888c goalkeeper with a notice of complaint?

My God what is happening to the game of football?

Got a look at that incident on youtube.

I'm not convinced that the keeper deliberately punches the Inverness player on the back of the head, what would be the point in that anyway.

There's another big difference in the two incidents, which is of more relevance, however. The ref appears to have a clear view of the Zaluska incident and obviously decides the clash is accidental, so the Compliance Officer can't act in that case.

Then it's not even a penalty.
if your hand is in a not natural position then it is classed as deliberate. What a natural position is is another argument. Edited by pete