Negri or Mols?

Marco is signing his book in the north-east and Inverness tomorrow and for some reason he's got Mikey along with him.

Who was the better centre forward? I'll say Mols but only because we got a longer look at him. Negri was stupendous for a half season.

Could they have played together? I don't think so.

Bluedell , totally agree , it's right up there with Durrants injury for me , as my greatest playing regret , especially considering the team that was around him at the time , possibly the best footballing side I ever had the joy of watching

Edited by rbr

Both players can claim to have been absolutely first class up until they both got injured early into their Rangers careers. What they might have done had they avoided those injuries (and I agree you can add Durrant to that list) is just painful to think about. That turn Mols perfected that defenders knew was coming but still could not do anything about it was simply breathtaking, while Negri's penalty box instinct and accuracy of shooting was sensational.

Both (again you can add Durrant in) were nothing like the same player when they returned, and while Mols continued to play for a few years for us was nothing like as good as before. In fact his final year seen him go over a year without a goal outside of Glasgow (only away goal was at Firhill) and was a meer shadow of the player we signed.

Were they both a flash in the pan at the absolute peak of their game in the short time we seen them pre-injury, or would they have went on to become greats, who knows?

Pre-injury Mols was one of the most exciting players for us I can remember. He was good enough that I think we'd have struggled to keep out of the hands of Barca or some such.

One of my favourite Archie MacPhersonisms: 'Mols turns like he's drilling for oil'.