SFA appoint a new non-executive director to their board

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1961&newsCategoryID=3&newsID=14675

The Scottish FA is pleased to announce the appointment of Gary Hughes as the second non-executive appointment to the Board of Directors.

Gary, 53, is Operating Executive with Apax Partners LLP, an independent global investment management company. He also holds non-executive directorships with J Sainsbury plc, a FTSE50 public company, Premier Farnell and Smart Technologies inc, is deputy chairman of The People’s Operator and is a senior independent chair of SECC Limited.

In his earlier career, Gary also served as Group Finance Director for Scottish Media Group from 1996-2000.

The appointment of a second independent non-executive director to the Board achieves another governance recommendation from the McLeish Review of Scottish Football. The position will replace the second vice-president role, which will cease at the next General Meeting on 9th June.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive: “I am delighted to welcome Gary to the Scottish FA’s Board of Directors. Even among a host of impressive candidates, the breadth and depth of his experience with some of the leading companies in Scotland, the UK and internationally made him stand out.

“Alongside Barrie Jackson, our first non-executive director, Gary will offer an invaluable business perspective to Scottish football in addition to his passion for football and sport.”

Gary Hughes: “I am both pleased and proud to be joining the Board of the Scottish Football Association as an Independent Non-Executive Director. Whilst football in Scotland does have its challenges, it also has significant opportunity and I look forward to working with the Board, the management team and all the major stakeholders to help create a successful and a sustainable future for our national game.”

One thing that is missing from his impressive CV is that he's 'Celtic mad' according to this Herald puff-piece from 2004:

http://t.co/1aej39jqgm

Ambitions: ''Not to get ahead of myself. To enjoy things as they happen rather than reminisce. For my boy Gavin to play for Celtic.''

Heroes: Sir Anthony Tennant, former Guinness chairman. ''When I was there, he was single-minded and a marketing genius.'' Jock Stein - ''There will never be another.''

A neat little cabal of Hooped Horrors and Rangers-haters have assembled at the top of the game in Scotland. When you hope they wil finally grow their own, independent spine, they bring in another randomly biased chap.

... the Board, the management team and all the major stakeholders ...

Is that a standard phrase? Looks more like he talks about a football club here?

New SFA board member Gavin Hughes once revealed big ambition is for his son to play for Celtic

THE media mogul is appointed to all-powerful Hampden council but he will NOT have any say in whether to pass Dave King as fit and proper.

THE SFA has today announced self-confessed Celtic fan Gary Hughes’ appointment to the board.

Hughes will become the ninth member of the Hampden chiefs’ all-powerful council.

In an interview with the Herald in 2004 media mogul Hughes revealed one of his ambitions was, "for my boy Gavin to play for Celtic''.

The board, which is currently sitting in judgment on whether to pass Dave King as fit and proper, already comprises the likes of president Campbell Ogilvie, chief exec Stewart Regan and powerful club bosses Peter Lawwell and Rod Petrie.

Hughes, however, will not take his place at Hampden until the SFA agm on June 9 which will be AFTER the King outcome has been declared.

The 53-year-old has been made a non-executive director, a position he will carry out alongside his current role as operating executive with Apax Partners LLP, which is an independent global investment management company.

He also holds non-executive directorships with J Sainsbury plc, a FTSE50 public company, Premier Farnell and Smart Technologies inc, is deputy chairman of The People’s Operator and is a senior independent chair of SECC Limited.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-sfa-board-member-gavin-5597755