One Scotland, Many Cultures & 2 Tier "Justice"

The party is being linked with anti-Rangers sentiments by a section of the Rangers support; by nobody else. I doubt whether these stories will cost any votes, since people stupid enough to vote politically based on their footballing allegience wouldn't have been voting SNP anyway.

What is certainly true is that the wider SNP membership, indeed wider Scottish society, of all clubs and none, are becoming increasingly put off by the behaviour of those moronic Rangers fans who align themselves with British nationalism, Unionism and in some cases Fascist causes, drape themselves in union flags, behave like thugs and drag the name of the club through the mud with their obnoxious behaviour.

I don't think its a one way thing - As someone who runs a twitter account with 20k followers and only posts about Rangers (nothing political), there has been a consistent level of abuse from those supporting the SNP (twibbons/profile affiliations etc). People who equate supporting Rangers with being a bigot.

Its nonsense and whats worse is that those individuals don't see the irony in their viewpoints.

I don't think its a one way thing - As someone who runs a twitter account with 20k followers and only posts about Rangers (nothing political), there has been a consistent level of abuse from those supporting the SNP (twibbons/profile affiliations etc). People who equate supporting Rangers with being a bigot.

Its nonsense and whats worse is that those individuals don't see the irony in their viewpoints.

A valid point and the same has happened to me many times.

I don't seem to have Labour, Tory or Green party members abusing my account but only those plastered with 'The 45' and SNP badges. I guess such people are also stupid though conflating their football and politics.

No, the party is linking itself with these sentiments by allowing its members to share them without penalty.

I certainly don't base my politics on my football team but, stupid or not, many will and even if you don't, it's human nature to interact more with those whose community values you share. Hence, if you're asking me to vote for someone who calls me a hun and/or questions the legal status of my football club whilst their party excuses such behaviour, I'll find that distasteful no matter their politics. It's not as if any of the parties are hugely different from the other nowadays anyway when we examine their polices - independence (Union or EU membership) aside.

Now, I won't excuse any Rangers fan who acts badly but neither will I examine Rangers fans exclusively when we talk about offensive behaviour. With that in mind, I'm surprised you don't agree the SNP members highlighted have dragged the name of the SNP through the mud with their 'moronic and obnoxious' actions. It's a shame some can't acknowledge that but perhaps such people are too stupid to debate without taking their political party allegiance into account?

I'll ignore the dig as being infra dig.

If you're talking about the two numpties who shouted down Murphy in Glasgow their actions were moronic and obnoxious, mirroring as they did the actions of Murphy himself. The two have been widely condemned on SNP forums and, rightly, suspended from the party for bringing its nae into disrepute.

If you're talking about individuals who send you sectarian or other abuse, send their details to SNP headquarters. You'll find that the party has no tolerance for those who beak the law and, if they are members and if there is a case, they will be suspended pending investigation. Oh, that any of the unionist parties were half as consistent.

If, however, you're talking about any of the 1.5 million Scots who voted for indpendence and who are not SNP members, are you surprised that you, as a leading figure in a Rangers community that is seen as aligning itself with British nationalism, loyalism and reactionary politics and which is vocal in its detestation for, in no particular order, Alex salmond, the SNP, Scotland and independence, are subject to abuse yourself?

If you're talking about the two numpties who shouted down Murphy in Glasgow their actions were moronic and obnoxious, mirroring as they did the actions of Murphy himself. The two have been widely condemned on SNP forums and, rightly, suspended from the party for bringing its nae into disrepute.

If you're talking about individuals who send you sectarian or other abuse, send their details to SNP headquarters. You'll find that the party has no tolerance for those who beak the law and, if they are members and if there is a case, they will be suspended pending investigation. Oh, that any of the unionist parties were half as consistent.

If, however, you're talking about any of the 1.5 million Scots who voted for indpendence and who are not SNP members, are you surprised that you, as a leading figure in a Rangers community that is seen as aligning itself with British nationalism, loyalism and reactionary politics and which is vocal in its detestation for, in no particular order, Alex salmond, the SNP, Scotland and independence, are subject to abuse yourself?

The way you frame the question in the last paragraph makes it appear that you think that being a Rangers Supporter publicly means that you should expect abuse from supporters of political parties - I don't think that is acceptable. The demonisation of our support is something that I think we need to deal with.

1. There was no dig - just a valid and necessary pointing out of inconsistency.

2. I wasn't talking about them per se but the people discussed in the original post and this thread (not all of which I've read right enough). Would you agree O'Hara and the fella dismissing RFC's proud history are equally moronic. Yet they weren't suspended? I guess some members are dispensable....

3. I've no time to send on daft folk's childish tweets that are easily ignored. A bit like naughty songs at football matches that we waste millions of pounds on via flawed SNP legislation on what I feel is an exaggerated issue. Again, this is where Professor Bruce's comments are valid taking us back to the original post again.

4. My Twitter account and/or this website has no (or at least the bare minimum) political allegiances so, while I may not be surprised at people's immediate prejudice therein, I am disappointed by it no matter where it originates. Moreso when it's echoed and excused by our own fans.

5. Now, more and more people may well be voting SNP and/or favouring independence. That's fine and that's why democracy is our system of choice. However, that doesn't answer the points I made about the SNP's lack of consistency in some matters. Perhaps you should stand as a candidate given your ability to avoid rebutting in full?

6. Again, I've no specific gripe against the SNP and have tried my best to avoid the political intrigue of late on the forum, but it's a shame political allegiance seems to be conflating itself more with football. That reflects badly on all of us and it's not going to end well IMHO.

Good Lord RPB - that is just mentalist - something of a quantum leap of extraordinary proportions.

I take it you never read Born Under a Union Flag?

Edited by D'Artagnan

The way you frame the question in the last paragraph makes it appear that you think that being a Rangers Supporter publicly means that you should expect abuse from supporters of political parties - I don't think that is acceptable. The demonisation of our support is something that I think we need to deal with.

it really does not mean that at all. For heaven's sake, I've been a Rangers supporter for longer than most on here and an SNP supporter for almost all of my adult life - are you saying I think I should be abused by fellow SNP members?

The fact is that the vocal element of the Rangers support, the ones chanting about sticking independence up your arse, hating alex salmond or throwing bottles in George Square and waving fascist and loyalist flags get up the noses of the vast majority of the wider non-Rangers aligned population. Until we recogise that, and unless those of us of a different political mind set make our voices heard then it can be no wonder that we are all tarred with the same brush.