RST complaint re: Brendan O'Hara and a new complaint email template

I am sure in the seventies the tims were the huns because they worked with the Germans during the war. I remember we used to sing Go home ya huns meaning the same as in the famine song. I have no idea how they turned this round on us. If the hun word is going to be found legal then we should turn it around again and start calling them it again and tell them to go home.

We sang that in the 60s.

The Tommy Sheridan H over Fear rally had nothing to do with the Republican Band. Just a coincidence that they passed the square at that time. And no I'm not a pal of TS or share his views, I see what he's up to with his vote SNP at GE stance.

I don't know anyone who thinks hun is sectarian.

For me hun means someone who bleeds red white and blue,.

Nacho Novo was the biggest hun I've seen (catholic), followed by Hateley, Durie, Durrant, Jig. (don't know and don't care about their religion).

I've been called AIDS / HIV / gay by all and sundry away fans, aberdeen fans have been accused of bestiality, celtic accused Richard gough of being a child molester, BJK, the list is endless of insults which are actually brutal compared to a namdy pamdy 'hun'.

Instead of trying to get a guy sacked for daring to write 'hun' on the internet, why don't you laugh and embrace the 'hun' jibe. I don't think it is particularly insulting at all and it is disappointing to witness the usual old firm whataboutery. It really does drag the whole game down, and let's be honest, rangers fans are pretty bad for dishing it out, but not taking it.

L

Nacho Novo was the biggest hun I've seen (catholic), followed by Hateley, Durie, Durrant, Jig. (don't know and don't care about their religion).

I've been called AIDS / HIV / gay by all and sundry away fans, aberdeen fans have been accused of bestiality, celtic accused Richard gough of being a child molester, BJK, the list is endless of insults which are actually brutal compared to a namdy pamdy 'hun'.

Instead of trying to get a guy sacked for daring to write 'hun' on the internet, why don't you laugh and embrace the 'hun' jibe. I don't think it is particularly insulting at all and it is disappointing to witness the usual old firm whataboutery. It really does drag the whole game down, and let's be honest, rangers fans are pretty bad for dishing it out, but not taking it.

Incoming!!!!!!!

And what good has rising above their level ever done us in the past?

To get anywhere we have to fight back with the same tactics, maybe sad but very much true

Yes you are correct, it's only our support who deserve to get the jail for everything and anything. Other supporters never use bigoted or sectarian terms to describe Protestant and Rangers supporters. It's only banter, no offence intended, In the meantime Rangers supporters are doing jail time for using similar banter terminology. That seems a little bit unfair don't you think.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

The issue at play here is parity. You don't mention anything about parity. Donald Findlay was chased out of Ibrox for using the "F" word, despite his intelligence and "should have known better" I am pretty certain he never used it in a sectarian manner.

It actually doesn't matter whether YOU think the word hun is not sectarian. The ridiculous offensive communications act (or whatever it is called) has outlawed it's use - the law courts have established it is sectarian. Are you saying that Celtic fans should also be embracing the use of the word "fen1an" because very few Rangers fans shout it in a knowing sectarian manner ? If so, then fine as that would be parity and we can go back to being "90 minute bigots" where all this nonsense is nothing more than banter.

However, we BOTH know that Celtic fans would in no way, shape or form, accept that and would have a mass campaign for punishment. If it is good enough for them, then why not us ?

I don't think the H word is excessively offensive. I'd rather be called that than a sheep sh*****g b*****d.

In the early 60s when singing at the fitba' became fashionable all home fans used to bellow "go home ya bums" at the visitors. Liverpool played a German team at Hampden in a CW Cup Final. Their fans at the time were the market leaders in hymns modern as oppposed to hymns ancient (that was us) and with remarkable inventiveness sang "go hme ya H**s at the Bosche. (Is it ok to say that?) It sounded good so everyone took it up even though the opposition were fellow Scots. The singing football fan is not renowned for lyrical accuracy.

I suppose it became directed towards us for two reasons. We did not need it because we had a rattling good word of our own and secondly some journo, might have been John Rafferty, writing about the depredations of football fans in general described the fans of big clubs descending on small towns as being like a horde of huns which was a pretty good historical allusion. Guess which club had thousands of travelling fans in those days. Remember celtic at the time were not nearly as well followed as Rangers

So, someone writes "kill all h**s" on the wall. Terrible. He used a bad "sectarian" word. He writes "kill all Rangers supporters". That's ok is it?

It's the sentiment, not the word that matters. The H word is pejorative, no doubt, but sectarian? Never. The PSNI and the Learned Sheriff, with respect, have got it wrong.

Next time at Pittodrie, anyone want to join me parading down Union Street singing "Ah'm no a sh****r, ah'm a H*n"?

TBH, I don't regard the word ****** as particularly bad. Surely it is a word that has been used by irish catholics amongst themselves? I'm sure celtic fans use it also. As Scott above says, it's all about sentiment and context. Why is ****** or hun deemed worse than homophobic remarks for example?

The worry for me is that soon the game will be sanitised beyond belief. After this, it will be fan's sites that will be sanitised (as the whataboutery reaches it's next logical step). I grew up at the football with men drinking bags of McEwans, smoking, standing, abusing, singing, supporting. Now it's like a battle to stay warm in a library.

Personally i have nothing against rampant abuse at games except skin colour based abuse. In a way, I think the nutters, who smash windows, attack cars, send bullets, excrement etc are the ones ruining it for us all. It's just a game to be enjoyed, bants and all.