RST complaint re: Brendan O'Hara and a new complaint email template

The new legislation is affecting fans of every team not primarily rangers.

Table 9: Football Affiliation of the Accused6

Timing of Charges

3.20 Chart 1 outlines the peak days of week and times of day for charges taking

place. The main peak times are Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings and,

to a lesser extent, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. This is consistent

with the timings of football matches.

„Other‟ refers to the football affiliation of the accused with football clubs with 4 or fewer charges. Due

to the low number of charges, these clubs are not identified for to prevent disclosure of identities.

Football

Affiliation

Number of

Charges %

Ayr United 6 2.2

Celtic 68 25.4

Dundee 12 4.5

Falkirk 17 6.3

Hamilton 9 3.4

Hearts 13 4.9

Hibs 28 10.4

Rangers 85 31.7

Other 20 7.5

Unknown 10 3.7

Total 268 100.0

As you can see, Falkirk apart, Hibs have (proportionally) the most arrests in Scotland, which means we get promotion this year.

I don't know anyone who thinks hun is sectarian.

For me hun means someone who bleeds red white and blue,.

Nacho Novo was the biggest hun I've seen (catholic), followed by Hateley, Durie, Durrant, Jig. (don't know and don't care about their religion).

I've been called AIDS / HIV / gay by all and sundry away fans, aberdeen fans have been accused of bestiality, celtic accused Richard gough of being a child molester, BJK, the list is endless of insults which are actually brutal compared to a namdy pamdy 'hun'.

Instead of trying to get a guy sacked for daring to write 'hun' on the internet, why don't you laugh and embrace the 'hun' jibe. I don't think it is particularly insulting at all and it is disappointing to witness the usual old firm whataboutery. It really does drag the whole game down, and let's be honest, rangers fans are pretty bad for dishing it out, but not taking it.

So you believe Celtic fans should be happy being called fen'ians? Would you go around saying it?

Do you know people that call Hearts mini-huns? If so then that is because of their perceived religion and is therefore sectarian.

I could name some people that could be classed as fen'ians and also would not necessarily know their religion but it wouldn't be right for me to go about using it.

Do people use the word fen'ian as a non-sectarian term? Definitely. However it can't deny that there are plenty who use it in a sectarian manner as well. Who gets to decide in what context it gets used? Likewise hun. Some probably do use it in a non-sectarian manner, but who can tell who that is?

If it is identified by the police and anti-sectarian organisations as sectarian then do you think that you know better than them on the subject? When "Kill all huns" are painted on walls, are you really suggesting that we laugh and embrace it?

TBH, I don't regard the word ****** as particularly bad.

So do you or your friends use the F word?

Why is ****** or hun deemed worse than homophobic remarks for example?

I don't think that they are.

If a homophobic remark is aimed at someone gay then it is as bad as (or worse than) a sectarian remark. However if a homophobic remark is aimed at a group of people a vast majority of whom are obviously not gay and it's more a comment on where they stay then it doesn't quite fall into the same category.

Out of interest, do you feel the same in respect of anti-Semitism being dished out to a Jewish supporter?

Strangely enough I am part Lithuanian Jew, part proddy dog, part catholic cat.

Anti jewish sentiment is very rare in scotland and tends to come from far right extremists, so the context is always highly derogatory and threatening, but you tend to find that as soon as you square up to a bunch of skinheads, they run away sieg heiling.

The 'Kill all huns' graffiti is obviously the work of a mentally challenged, poorly raised half wit.

And no, i generally don't use the word f*******, preferring 'potato eaters' instead.

It's a moot point Neutralscot. The bar has already been set so low in the social sphere by the forever offended, and in the legal world by Frank Mulholland QC that we find ourselves having to take faux offence just to keep the tide from washing right over us.

Anti jewish sentiment is very rare in scotland and tends to come from far right extremists, so the context is always highly derogatory and threatening,

So they are unacceptable? Does that make you a hypocrite?

The 'Kill all huns' graffiti is obviously the work of a mentally challenged, poorly raised half wit.

I'm sure that the people in Belfast found them to be "highly derogatory and threatening".

And no, i generally don't use the word f*******, preferring 'potato eaters' instead.

I presume that you're being facetious.

I don't know anyone who thinks hun is sectarian.

For me hun means someone who bleeds red white and blue,.

Nacho Novo was the biggest hun I've seen (catholic), followed by Hateley, Durie, Durrant, Jig. (don't know and don't care about their religion).

I've been called AIDS / HIV / gay by all and sundry away fans, aberdeen fans have been accused of bestiality, celtic accused Richard gough of being a child molester, BJK, the list is endless of insults which are actually brutal compared to a namdy pamdy 'hun'.

Instead of trying to get a guy sacked for daring to write 'hun' on the internet, why don't you laugh and embrace the 'hun' jibe. I don't think it is particularly insulting at all and it is disappointing to witness the usual old firm whataboutery. It really does drag the whole game down, and let's be honest, rangers fans are pretty bad for dishing it out, but not taking it.

BJK isn't an insult, its a statement of fact.

Bluebell, maybe I am a hypocrite. You may well be right. I tend to see attacks on the jews as being serious, whilst potato muncher/hun as just bants. I could be totally mistaken.

Anyone that fails to recognise 'kill all huns' as the work of a madman ( or wannabe madman) is a nutter themselves. I'm sure kill all huns and kill all f****** for that matter will have been greeted by 99.99% of the people of belfast as disgraceful, as any other normal person would.

I do use potato muncher, tattie eaters.........I suppose it could be deemed racist also, when in actual fact i have absolutely no bias against Irish, catholics, protestants or otherwise. I think it's the whole plastic paddy thing- i may be digging a hole for myself here....I am going to stop writing..

TBH, I don't regard the word ****** as particularly bad. Surely it is a word that has been used by irish catholics amongst themselves? I'm sure celtic fans use it also. As Scott above says, it's all about sentiment and context. Why is ****** or hun deemed worse than homophobic remarks for example?

The worry for me is that soon the game will be sanitised beyond belief. After this, it will be fan's sites that will be sanitised (as the whataboutery reaches it's next logical step). I grew up at the football with men drinking bags of McEwans, smoking, standing, abusing, singing, supporting. Now it's like a battle to stay warm in a library.

Personally i have nothing against rampant abuse at games except skin colour based abuse. In a way, I think the nutters, who smash windows, attack cars, send bullets, excrement etc are the ones ruining it for us all. It's just a game to be enjoyed, bants and all.

And I couldn't agree more with you on this. However, and this is something that should NEVER be forgotten.... Rangers fans were fine with the whole notion of chants at football being "banter" and fans generally were "90 minute bigots". If you want to point any fingers at anyone for the monstrosity of a Communications Act we now have then point to those in the East End of Glasgow. They decided that, in their hatred of all things Rangers, that they would en masse start creating as much of a problem for Rangers as they could by being perennially mock offended. It is THEY who created this lunacy.

But you are literally saying that Rangers fans should just embrace the word hun and ignore the carnage that has been created from their faux outrage at being called fen1ans. That old adage applies, "you made your bed so lie in it". Given they created the beast why should Rangers fans just lay down with a whimper ?

As a "neutralscot" I would have anticipated that you would have been a bit more balanced in your approach to this.