Confirmed! Dave King passed as 'fit and proper' by SFA

Is Dermot Desmond FAPP ?

Now, now Rab; only a cynical person would believe that his loans to politicians who were in a position to help him amounted to bribery and corruption.

They were loans, you hear? Loans, to dear and close friends.

Long term loans: very long term.

A form of EBT, if you will.

Now, now Rab; only a cynical person would believe that his loans to politicians who were in a position to help him amounted to bribery and corruption.

They were loans, you hear? Loans, to dear and close friends.

Long term loans: very long term.

A form of EBT, if you will.

And of course he never got anything in return from a serving ROI PM did he? Nothing at all

Someone also told me there's a club being investigated by Audit Scotland at the moment? Surely not! Something about a training ground

Jim Spence and Tom English are absolutely livid! :D

English: "I want to see the evidence to satisfy myself that he's fit and proper!" :laugh:

Why? What's it to him? Don't tell me he's a shareholder.

I can't stand self appointed windbags like TE. I wouldn't ban him from Ibrox but I'd make sure his seat was uncomfortable and no tea at half-time.

Dave King: Rangers investment was dependent on fit and proper approval

By Grant Russell

19 May 2015 21:35 BST

Dave King says his investment in Rangers would have been in doubt if the Scottish FA had deemed him not to be a fit and proper person.

The businessman has been cleared to take up his post as the club’s chairman, two months after shareholders voted him on to the board.

King arrived in Glasgow on Tuesday evening after news of his clearance broke and told STV in an exclusive interview that putting money into the club would likely not have happened if the governing body turned him down.

"One of the things I said at the previous meeting when I was here six to eight weeks ago was that investment, my ongoing investment, depended on me getting through fit and proper,” King told STV.

"Now it's been cleared, I am now in a position to proceed. So I'd expect that to happen quite quickly [investing money]."

Pressed to confirm whether his investment was dependent on fit and proper status being granted, King said: "Yes, yes. I always made it clear that if I had no long term future with the club, my investment was linked to that.

"I said that when I was here last time that while I expected the fit and proper to happen and go through OK, if it didn't happen then we would have to take a different approach.

"I wouldn't have walked away but the situation would have changed. I would have had to look at how we would do it.

"Certainly I was very clear in the interviews I gave previously, my ongoing investment requires my ongoing involvement.

"I didn't doubt that it would happen but it was made clear to all concerned that it was a consideration."

That stance differs considerably what King said on the day he was voted in as a director at Ibrox in March.

"If I'm not found fit and proper I will not sit on the board," he said at the time. "I'll still invest, I'll still support it.

"I've got, I must have 40 companies back in South Africa I control and I don't sit on the board.

"To me being on the board is not critical. I don't think it will be an issue. But if it turned out to be an issue, it wouldn't make any difference to Rangers going forward.

"I would just operate and give input as a shareholder, as opposed to a non-executive chairman.

"The issue is not about power. My position is no different from Paul [Murray] or John [Gilligan]'s. We are all trying to achieve the same thing. It's not really about power.

"If for any reason a regulator came and said 'Dave, we believe you're not fit and proper', and I had the proper opportunity to make representations and they still concluded that, then I would accept that."

Fit and proper process

King came to power at Rangers via a shareholder vote at a general meeting on March 6 but has stayed in the background since then awaiting the Scottish FA's clearance.

That was finally delivered on Tuesday after he submitted documentation which convinced the governing body over his 41 tax convictions in South Africa.

King was also judged upon his suitability to be a director given his involvement with the Rangers oldco when it went into liquidation.

"It's great, it's not so much relief because I kind of expected it," he said.

"But I think it's been very frustrating for me and for probably most of the members on the board that a lot has been happening over the last couple of months where I think with the effort I've been involved in to try and get the change of control, it's been a great pity I've not been involved in what's going on the last couple of months.

"I think we're all delighted that finally we can all get our feet under the table and start to make progress.

"The first step for me is spend some time with the existing board members and management and get a good sense of what they have been doing over the last couple of months.

"Because with my situation, I had given an undertaking to the SFA that I wouldn't act as a shadow director. So we've been very, very precise in making sure I didn't get involved in the affairs of the club.

"So it's going to take me a few days to find out what has happened over the last couple of days and then we've got to sit down and start planning for the future, get the budgets in place, get proper funding plans in place and we've got to carry out what we've promised to do for the fans."

Mike Ashley's loan

One of King's first tasks could be to find £5m to pay back shareholder Mike Ashley's Sports Direct company after he called on fellow stakeholders to push for the immediate repayment of a loan given in January.

If shareholders vote to return Ashley's money, Rangers will have 10 days to raise £5m to pay him back.

Repayment would ensure he no longer had control of Rangers' training ground Murray Park, the Albion Car Park and their Edmiston House property at Ibrox Stadium.

It would also see him relinquish his stranglehold over the club's brands and trademarks, as well as guaranteeing a greater return of retail profits from the joint venture between Rangers and Sports Direct.

But failure to raise the capital required to pay Ashley could see Rangers default on the loan arrangement if shareholders want him to be repaid.

The matter is likely to be decided at a general meeting of shareholders in June.

King though insists the Ashley matter will not be an issue. He said: "I will check that with the chaps when I see them tomorrow. But it's certainly not something I am remotely concerned about."

Asked to confirm whether Rangers had the funds to pay Ashley back his £5m if shareholders required the club to do so, King replied: "Of course we do. It's always been part of the plan, but it's just a question of whether it's an appropriate thing to do."

Dave King: Rangers investment was dependent on fit and proper approval

Edited by Zappa
adding link to original article and author credit

BEARGER, I've added URLs/links and an author credit to the STV article you've just posted. Please remember to do this yourself or Gersnet could be pulled up for copyright infringement.

Same applies to everyone copying & pasting articles into threads here. Please remember to do this folks!

Edited by Zappa