Walter Smith's way forward for scottish football

They would jump at it. It could be the best league on earth. If done properly.

I know PSV were also pushing for it a few seasons ago. One problem would indeed be the new TV contract with Fox. I doubt anything could happen until it finishes in 12 years time.

from 2016, an Argentinian and Japanese team will join expanding it further.

Globalisation.

It wont be long before MLS sides are applying to have a competition with Champions League sides and I think Premier league matches will eventually go overseas.

from 2016, an Argentinian and Japanese team will join expanding it further.

you could have three or four leagues with combined countries in them in the future.

you have to ask the question, who would want the Scottish League to join?

The TV companies and the sponsors, that's who. We're not the only country who has seen a drop in standard in our domestic game. Belgian clubs used to contest European finals, as did Swedish clubs and Scottish clubs. You can't conceive of that happening currently yet Manchester wasn't that long ago.

If you include at least two Scottish clubs you add a half a million viewers to the TV audience at a stroke and open up marketing and sponsorship opportunities to another 5 million people.

I think it's inevitable that Europe will end up with something like seven major leagues; The Spanish, English, Italian and German leagues can stand alone, they are big enough countries, the French league too probably, then you'll have a couple of other leagues, probably a Western European league we'd be in and an Eastern one including Russia, Greece, Ukraine, Romania, Israel and Turkey and few others.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it but it's a natural progression.