New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

Well, right on cue ...

Mark Warburton: Linked with Rangers

Press Association Sport understands the former Brentford boss has had preliminary discussions with the Govan club and is on a short-list of potential candidates drawn up by the Light Blues' board, who are coming to terms with another season in the Championship following their 6-1 aggregate Premiership play-off defeat to Motherwell.

Stuart McCall replaced caretaker Kenny McDowall in March with a mandate to get Rangers promoted to the top-flight but the manner of his side's capitulation against the Steelmen leaves him with a job to convince the board he is the long-term option.

Warburton, assisted by former Rangers skipper Davie Weir, guided Brentford to promotion from Sky Bet League 1 before taking them into the Championship play-offs this season.

The London side announced in February that Warburton would depart at the end of the season leaving him free to take the Gers post if asked and start rebuilding a squad that will be shorn of at least 10 players.

Warburton said: "From my point of view they (Rangers) are a massive club. I have huge respect for the size of the club and the fan base at Rangers. Who wouldn't?

"I am well aware of the tradition and history of the club so I would never be anything other than absolutely respectful of a club of that stature."

http://www.football365.com/news/25509/9872557/Mark-Warburton-on-being-linked-with-Rangers

What is the big attraction for Warburton?,not having a go,just wondering for instance why has he left Brentford?,whyis he not being head hunted for an EPL club?

King said that he’ll appoint a coach as opposed to a manager, who can identify and develop talented young players. A whole different ball game to the one that the names being bandied about would accept.

What is the big attraction for Warburton?,not having a go,just wondering for instance why has he left Brentford?,whyis he not being head hunted for an EPL club?

Who knows. Have only heard good things about him, but that goes for many other chaps too. At the end of the day, we'll have to wait and see.

I suppose another attraction of this guy is the fact he started in Youth football and has slowly built a reputation for developing players.

the club desperately needs an outside influence to cleanse years of lazy, turgid stagnation that has been allowed to build up.

The big attraction is he has been successful in English football. The other main targets are McInnes who had 15 straight defeats in England and McLeish who is pretty much the worst candidate I can think of. I have not seen any other name in contention who has been recently successful at a high level.

The big attraction is he has been successful in English football. The other main targets are McInnes who had 15 straight defeats in England and McLeish who is pretty much the worst candidate I can think of. I have not seen any other name in contention who has been recently successful at a high level.

Nah he is close but Neil Lennon gets that award.:razz:

He left Brentford because the owner wanted to install a DoF and Warburton didn't want to work for one.

Warburton seems to have the sort of background we would be looking for I'd have thought but I don't think he is cert by any means.

I do think we should at least interview him and see what he's got to say. If it doesn't seem right move on to another candidate.